Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:52 PM

Default Good WMU to get a boy a Mulie Buck in Limited Time

A very gracious AO member who has priority 13 for Antlered Mule Deer offered to put my 15 year old son on his tag with a youth partner licence so he can harvest his first buck. Problem is that neither of us are big mulie hunters, and my time in fall is limited to weekends because of my job. Any suggestion for a wmu within a 4 hr drive of Edmonton where a kid would have a good chance to tag a buck as we need to apply soon? Not looking for a monster by any stretch, just looking for a wmu that has decent numbers where permission may be possible, if such a thing even exists. Any suggestions would be appreciated. PM would work fine too.

Last edited by sns2; 06-11-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:12 PM

Sent you a PM
Old 06-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
A very gracious AO member who has priority 13 for Antlered Mule Deer offered to put my 15 year old son on his tag with a youth partner licence so he can harvest his first buck. Problem is that neither of us are big mulie hunters, and my time in fall is limited to weekends because of my job. Any suggestion for a wmu within a 4 hr drive of Edmonton where a kid would have a good chance to tag a buck as we need to apply soon? Not looking for a monster by any stretch, just looking for a wmu that has decent numbers where permission may be possible, if such a thing even exists. Any suggestions would be appreciated. PM would work fine too.
Will PM you, hopefully a good spot.

Last edited by gloszz; 06-11-2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Decided to PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
UHHHHHH
A P15 should be spent looking for a monster. I wouldn't want anything less than a 180+
Some big guns out there if you start looking.
Who is this most honourable fellow who is sharing this tag? What a guy!!!!!
A/O member of the year in my books!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
UHHHHHH
A P15 should be spent looking for a monster. I wouldn't want anything less than a 180+
Some big guns out there if you start looking.
Who is this most honourable fellow who is sharing this tag? What a guy!!!!!
A/O member of the year in my books!
Elk11. He is very good to my son who thinks he walks on water.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Elk11. He is very good to my son who thinks he walks on water.
Respect!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Respect!
X2 awesome gesture! Well done EH11.

LC
Old 06-11-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Respect!
EH11 is always ready to step up and help out especially the younger crowd!
Cat
Old 06-11-2018, 09:44 PM

The plan was to have the young man get a youth partner tag for my trophy pronghorn tag last year, but the hunt timing didn't work out. With a more flexible season for mule deer, we will try and make this happen this fall. Another new hunter filled my antlered moose tag at Camp Wainwright last fall, as I am trying to share the opportunity with new hunters that don't have the priority to draw the tags.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:25 AM

118 and 102 hold alot of mule deer. And its also mostly grazing lease so you just need to contact in advance. I pulled 118 last year for my first crack at mule deer. Even i was able to locate multiple bucks some of them decent. I did not connect as im not comfortable with longer shots i was presented with. 305 yards was as close as we got. If you do better job stalking in can easily get closer. We made every mistake but mostly skylining ourselves the deer are on you immediately. And the bigger bucks once see you can watch the bounding off for miles. Im addicted i wish i could hunt that area every fall. Its a 4-5 year zone others may chime in with better zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 AM

PM me i can help you out. Pretty shure i can put you on a 180. Put janders on a 186 non typ last year with very limited time. P.s i have a solid track record on this forum.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:35 AM

Elkhunter11, this is one of the kindest gestures I have read on here in a very long time. I tip my hat to you and hope that more will do the same for our youth. I took my 10 year old mulie hunting with me last year and he had the time of his life. We stayed in my wall tent in late Nov and it was -25 at night but he loved it all. Anyway, when my priority builds again, l will do as you are as I get such a thrill of watching young kids out hunting for their first animal.
Anyways, good on you and best of luck to the young lad on his first mulie.

Cheers,
SS
Old 06-12-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somehunter View Post
PM me i can help you out. Pretty shure i can put you on a 180. Put janders on a 186 non typ last year with very limited time. P.s i have a solid track record on this forum.
Dont ruin the boy, lol let him shoot the first deer he likes. Nothing will measure up in the future if he gets a wall hanger right out of the gate.
A real nice gesture elkhunter11.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Dont ruin the boy, lol let him shoot the first deer he likes. Nothing will measure up in the future if he gets a wall hanger right out of the gate.
A real nice gesture elkhunter11.
My thoughts as well. Booner out of the gate.

Well done elk hunter. I’ve never shot one but looking forward to going on a southern mule deer hunt.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 PM

There’s lots of mule deer in the province why not let home put in for his own draw and wait like a lot of us did. I guess I look back when I started hunting over 30 years ago I looked forward to putting in for draws with Dad even though it took awhile to get. If he gets a chance to shoot a deer with someone else’s tag will it be the memory he wants. In a world that youth feel entitled maybe a wait is not a bad idea.
Closed Thread