Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Default Marcum M1... Humminbird Ice 35... thoughts?

Any thoughts on the new Markum M1? It seems like it might be a really good, simple and quiet unit. I’m thinking about getting a basic flasher that won’t cost a fortune. I’m sure at some point it will go on sale. The Humminbird ice 35 fits in my budget nicely. The Markham has a little more power… Might be better for deep water (ie: Spray Lakes).

Any thoughts, experiences, or recommendations? I really don’t want to spend a whole ton of money on this. I go ice fishing half a dozen times or so each season and really just want something decent that works quietly and gets me more fish!

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:32 AM

Get a marcum
Old 11-19-2017, 11:21 AM

The new (this year?) Vexilar X series fLX12 and FLX20 are quieter than the old FL series and have a lot nicer screen. Looks like they carried the FLX28 screen over to the older models, anyways the FLX12 might be worth looking at now as it sounds about as loud as the Marcum and Bird.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Get the Marcum at Wholesale. 25% off right now and should be even less come Friday.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:55 PM

Neither are probably ideal for fishing at Spray. More power and better target sep. I would suggest. Make sure as many people buy these entry level units and find they are upgrading not long after. Save your pennies and get something more suited to you if you do Spray style fishing. Buy Vex for best quality and durability, Marcum looks nice if and when it is working (not in the shop) and Bird go for the 45 at least but 55 is better for deep.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:04 PM

I have the Marcum 7 ........I still do not know why people like looking at flashing lights all day.
I have mine set on sonar graph , just don't like the flasher mod at all.
Everyone I meet that has one do not use the flasher mode either.

What I know now , I would have never bought an ice fishing sonar , and just bought a higher power sonar for my boat and used it for hard water also.
My older Boat sonar (200watt) that just crapped out worked ok for laker down to 60 ft. I could see my hook and the fish coming up to it.( paid $150.)

Can some one explain why they like Flashers over a sonar graph.

Last edited by -JR-; 11-19-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:19 PM

Well can't go wrong with the Marcum, trust me it's plenty for spray don't let anyone tell you different, my little vx-1i has never needed to be turned up over half even when in 150+fow, the target separation is good enough to pick out small perch and eyes hugging bottom and no problem seeing lakers way down deep. That said I have 3 flashers and a camera(all marcum) and never had to take a single one into the shop in the years I have owned them. One transducer arm broke but that was my fault for dropping it on the garage floor lol. Of all my flashers my little vx-1i gets the most use as it's more compact and the battery lasts well over 48hrs on a full charge. Also with a Marcum you can pretty much sit beside a vex or bird and usually don't need to even use the noise reduction
Old 11-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I have the Marcum 7 ........I still do not know why people like looking at flashing lights all day.
I have mine set on sonar graph , just don't like the flasher mod at all.
Everyone I meet that has one do not use the flasher mode either.

What I know now , I would have never bought an ice fishing sonar , and just bought a higher power sonar for my boat and used it for hard water also.
My older Boat sonar (200watt) that just crapped out worked ok for laker down to 60 ft. I could see my hook and the fish coming up to it.( paid $150.)

Can some one explain why they like Flashers over a sonar graph.
Real time returns. In sonar mode you have to rely on the real time window to get that.

I am the opposite I dont understand why you would want to fill your screen with useless old data. It isnt like summer time where you are watching to see how the bottom, structure or depth is changing. All you need when ice fishing is the real time data to tell you where your lure and the fish are.

I find that most people dont like the flasher view because it isnt intuitive to them and they like the sonar graph mode because they are use to it on their boat.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:06 PM

You should add "real time" will show up at the farthest right side of your sonar .... and many sonars can be set up as "both" with a flasher bar and a sonar.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sonar...k3tTmfr1un3AM:

see picture
Old 11-19-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Real time returns. In sonar mode you have to rely on the real time window to get that.

I am the opposite I dont understand why you would want to fill your screen with useless old data. It isnt like summer time where you are watching to see how the bottom, structure or depth is changing. All you need when ice fishing is the real time data to tell you where your lure and the fish are.

I find that most people dont like the flasher view because it isnt intuitive to them and they like the sonar graph mode because they are use to it on their boat.

I hear alot of this real time..... I find no delay on the sonar garph , when I lift my hook, it moves right now .
Old 11-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Why are people so against humminbird?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I hear alot of this real time..... I find no delay on the sonar garph , when I lift my hook, it moves right now .
This isn't always the case(depending on unit and on scroll speed settings) but assuming there is no delay you are now comparing a single row of pixels showing real time data to a whole screen dedicated to that information... I know which one I value more.

The following video does a good job of showing sonar graph vs real time. Much easier to know what is going on by watching the real time view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLyuRKEDKnQ

Flasher view is the exact same as real time sonar just in a circular pattern due to the way mechanical flashers work. Flasher view vs real time sonar doesn't really matter but both give you a significant advantage over regular sonar graph view imo.

Going back to your original comment though the one thing that every boat fish finder lacks is a narrow beam setting(most have 2 beams but the narrowest beam is still wide beam for a flasher). Narrow beam settings on a flasher can be very useful when fishing deeper water or steep drop offs and sometimes even in weedy situations.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:43 PM

As for the Marcum M1. $550 for an entry level flasher? Really...

Probably a fine unit but considering that at this moment you can buy an Ice 55 for $50 more(which you then get back in a rebate) I know which one I would be buying...
Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Why are people so against humminbird?
Player haters, iceshanty.com is way worse for that
Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
As for the Marcum M1. $550 for an entry level flasher? Really...

Probably a fine unit but considering that at this moment you can buy an Ice 55 for $50 more(which you then get back in a rebate) I know which one I would be buying...
Yeah, I know what you’re saying. The Ice-55 looks great. I just find it so hard to justify spending over half a grand on something that I’ll use 6, maybe 8 times tops in a season. I might fish at Spray maybe twice, and the rest at other shallower lakes.

Guess I need to sleep on it, and maybe check out Wholesale this week.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Pretty much the only advantage of a flasher would be a narrow beam ducer and not all have them. And as said would be good on steep slope.

Regular sonar:
Easier to track fish and multiple fish on sonar plus your jig plus a dead stick. You can watch them come up to your jig/bait.
And as mentioned by EZM most boat sonars will show both flasher and reg sonar with real time bar.
With history, you can also see your jigging cadence in relation to the fish. History can tell you that when you looked away to pick up your dead stick rod it startled a finicky fish as it entered your cone and retreated when you lifted the dead stick rod.

Bonus is Marcum LX6, 7 and 9 all have narrow beam ducers as well. And can show history or Old style flasher

I have a Marcum LX9. But frequently use my HDS 5's or my LMS 332/337 Because they also work well(boat sonars). But most fishing for me is less than 30'. Will see if there is much difference between LX9 and HDS 5 for lakers one of these days.

Kind of think it is marketing strategy by the Sonar companies to sell more sonars.

But each to their own.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 11-19-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
Yeah, I know what you’re saying. The Ice-55 looks great. I just find it so hard to justify spending over half a grand on something that I’ll use 6, maybe 8 times tops in a season. I might fish at Spray maybe twice, and the rest at other shallower lakes.

Guess I need to sleep on it, and maybe check out Wholesale this week.
Dual beam, digital depth readouts, multiple colour palettes, more interference rejection settings, adjustable zoom and probably more I am not thinking of.

I don't really consider the 25% off the M1 much of a deal, more like pricing it closer to where it should be(you can get an Ice 35 for $365, a Vexilar Fl8 for $400 and used to be able to get the VX-1P which M1 is replacing for ~ $450). The 55 which can be had for $540 right now is regularly a $680 flasher and the equivalent Marcum is the M5 priced at $820.

I'm as cheap as they get but I also know value when I see it.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:52 PM

May not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she will still be with you 10 years from now. The pretty girls with all the bells and whistles may leave you at the worst time.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/12460...ck-ice-flasher
Old 11-19-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Dual beam, digital depth readouts, multiple colour palettes, more interference rejection settings, adjustable zoom and probably more I am not thinking of.

I don't really consider the 25% off the M1 much of a deal, more like pricing it closer to where it should be(you can get an Ice 35 for $365, a Vexilar Fl8 for $400 and used to be able to get the VX-1P which M1 is replacing for ~ $450). The 55 which can be had for $540 right now is regularly a $680 flasher and the equivalent Marcum is the M5 priced at $820.

I'm as cheap as they get but I also know value when I see it.

The m1 is a step up from the vx-1i which was an improvemnt over the vx-1p. Your comparing a ice 55 on sale price but not mentioning the Marcum lx3 that's on sale for $550 which is the comparable unit to an ice 55 the m5 is far superior to the ice 55 in both power and target seperation(which the ice 55 is 2.5" the m1 is 2" m5 is 0.75"). Both the m1 and m5 are brushless and quite as can be with nice flat faces, yes the hummingbird mayb be brighter but staring at it for extended periods of time you will enjoy the Marcum screen alot more imo

Last edited by lsxfirebird; 11-19-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsxfirebird View Post
The m1 is a step up from the vx-1i which was an improvemnt over the vx-1p. Your comparing a ice 55 on sale price but not mentioning the Marcum lx3 that's on sale for $550 which is the comparable unit to an ice 55 the m5 is far superior to the ice 55 in both power and target seperation(which the ice 55 is 2.5" the m1 is 2" m5 is 0.75"). Both the m1 and m5 are brushless and quite as can be with nice flat faces, yes the hummingbird mayb be brighter but staring at it for extended periods of time you will enjoy the Marcum screen alot more imo
I am supposed to compare a single beam M3 to a dual beam Ice 55???

M5 is 2500 watts power, Ice 55 2400, almost identical...

Ice 55 target separation is 2.5 inch regularly, 2 inch in zoom. M5 is 2.15 inch regularly, 0.75 inch in super fine line. Other then a couple times fishing for tiny perch I have never really felt like I needed less then 2 inches of target separation.

As for Marcum's new motors, hopefully they are more dependable then their old ones. Only time will tell...
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
The new (this year?) Vexilar X series fLX12 and FLX20 are quieter than the old FL series and have a lot nicer screen. Looks like they carried the FLX28 screen over to the older models, anyways the FLX12 might be worth looking at now as it sounds about as loud as the Marcum and Bird.
Also noticed the new x series are now 1000 watts rather the 500 watts they used to be. Considering the quality of the Vexilar transducers and head units is so good that my fl 18 in low power mode (only 250 watts) with the proview ice ducer I could easily see a jig at 70 feet I can only wonder why more power was needed?

For what it's worth doubling the size of the transducer is equivalent to quadrupling the watts if all else remains the same...so comparing watts alone can be misleading. Also once you get under say 2"" of target separation it takes a very very stationary object with super fine tweaking to see the separation. I can get mine down low enough to see both my small Swedish pimple and the minnow hanging on the treble below but move it at all and you only see one return or it disappears entirely because the gain is turned down so low to get the separation anything moving disappears. And now you know...

Last edited by ROA; 11-20-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:09 AM

And here's more that you didn't want to know. The resolution on the display can be the limiting factor in target separation and usually is in shallow water. So let's say my fl18 has 525 lines of resolution. That means that there are 525 individual lines around the dial. So in the 20 foot setting you would divide the amount of inches in 20 feet by 525 lines to get how many inches each line represents. That works out to 0.45 of an inch. In the 40 foot setting the amount of distance each of the 525 lines repersents doubles so now your at 0.9" per line...and so on and so forth. As the depth increases the possible resolution decreases.

This is why zoom mode is so nice, even at 40 foot in depth my zoom takes the bottom 6 feet and puts it in half of the screen. So now I got 262.5 lines for 6 feet which works out to a possible separation of 0.27". If the transducer and head can pick it up but it probably won't.....because.... as the depth increases the time between transducer pulses needs to increase to compensate for the increased time it takes to receive the echo far away. Because of this not only does your display slow down you loose resolution as well

And now we know way to much.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I am supposed to compare a single beam M3 to a dual beam Ice 55???

Ok let's know way, way to much.

To be a proper duel beam transducer the transducer needs to have a dedicated crystal for each beam. For sure Vexilar, and last time I checked, Marcum do this.

There is a cheap way around this and that is to use one crystal and add a secondary pulse to it to increase beam width. The resulting beam is full of noise and is quite weak. This is what humminbird does (or al least the last time I checked ). So your duel beam is really a single 9* crystal with a secondary pulse added to give a 19* cone of questionable quality

Ok should I stop now? Lol
Old 11-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I picked up a Marcum VX-1i at Wholesale today (at what I think was a pretty good price). It was the last one they had. They had no M1s left.
At the end of the day, they all look pretty good and make ice fishing more fun. Really looking forward to hitting the hard water, and trying out my Marcum soon!
Old 11-20-2017, 04:41 PM

my helix 7 has both a screen and flasher great unit.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:09 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Garmin for Ice fishing? I was looking at some of their products and I am interested. Just not many around and not sure what to think. I cannot decide either a Garmin like this or a regular flasher. This one prices out at about $520.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/592105

**first post ever hope the link works**
Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 AM

I know you already bought your Marcum, but for anyone else looking - I just ordered a Humminbird ICE-45 from Sail.ca on sale for $399 - regular $529 at Cabela's. Plus there's a $45 rebate, so even with taxes and shipping it was under $400. Not sure if it's still on clearance but thought it was a pretty smokin' deal.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:43 PM

I use a velexar and I don't think it can be beet easy to read and simple operation and you can do it all with your gloves on
Old 11-27-2017, 06:34 PM

Just ordered an ice 45. It’ll be my first flasher ever.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Banned

I've owned a ice 35 and didn't mind it, it worked good. I splurged last year and bought a lx7.. my god is this thing amazing, so much you can alter to fit your needs and the large bright screen is top notch.