Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 05:38 PM

Default Hornady GMX

When are they going to offer more options?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM

Default Hornady GMX

Yes, the Hornady GMX line is rather ''limited''. However, when you look at the entire Hornady lineup I'm pretty sure there is a bullet for just about everything on the planet. Just think back 50 years! The bullet selection these days is absolutely mind boggling!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
When are they going to offer more options?
Hopefully before April.........
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM

No doubt. It will drive a person like me crazy with the options out there!

I would love a 162 7mm GMX though!

-Billy Molls
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM

Would be nice if Hornady offered a toilet paper bullet as well.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Default Gmx or lack thereof!

If I remember correctly Chuck, you were the one who posted that awesome group with 150 Barnes Triple shocks! I'm pretty sure that any animal that has the misfortune of coming across you in their daily routine would not be long for this world! Freezer time! They won't realize you're not using a 162 GMX.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
If I remember correctly Chuck, you were the one who posted that awesome group with 150 Barnes Triple shocks! I'm pretty sure that any animal that has the misfortune of coming across you in their daily routine would not be long for this world! Freezer time! They won't realize you're not using a 162 GMX.
Agreed and the 150 TSX is getting the nod for the fall.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

I want a .375!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:

I recently talked to a guy who said the worst day in his life was when he got talked into buying some GMX's for a grizzly hunt (30/06). He wounded and lost one bear and the one he got was hit multiple times. He said expansion appeared to be minimal. He will not be a repeat customer and is switching back to conventional Hornady bullets which have worked well for him. Leeper
Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM

I shot a whitetail doe at about about 339 yards with a GMX from a 270.

Complete pass through. Exit hole was large. Doe was on the run and flipped head over ass when hit and died on the spot (spine)
Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeper View Post
i recently talked to a guy who said the worst day in his life was when he got talked into buying some gmx's for a grizzly hunt (30/06). He wounded and lost one bear and the one he got was hit multiple times. He said expansion appeared to be minimal. He will not be a repeat customer and is switching back to conventional hornady bullets which have worked well for him. Leeper
lol......Sounds like he needs to practice shooting.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I recently talked to a guy who said the worst day in his life was when he got talked into buying some GMX's for a grizzly hunt (30/06). He wounded and lost one bear and the one he got was hit multiple times. He said expansion appeared to be minimal. He will not be a repeat customer and is switching back to conventional Hornady bullets which have worked well for him. Leeper
If expansion was poor, I would be interested to know which bullet weight he chose. From what I have seen, the monometal bullets perform best at higher velocities, and choosing heavier bullets results in less velocity. Some people still insist on using heavy bullet weights, and with the monometal bullets, it's often a disadvantage.

As well, I do wonder about his shooting,bullets seem to get the blame when animals are lost, and usually the real cause is that the bullet isn't placed where it needs to be.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If expansion was poor, I would be interested to know which bullet weight he chose. From what I have seen, the monometal bullets perform best at higher velocities, and choosing heavier bullets results in less velocity. Some people still insist on using heavy bullet weights, and with the monometal bullets, it's often a disadvantage.
You do realize the heaviest GMX they make is a 165 gr in .30cal right? Unless he was shooting from 500 yards or more, I can't see velocity being a problem. Sounds more like a guy blaming his poor marksmanship on bullets to me. I've seen a pile of critters go down to GMX bullets and I've recovered a handful and expansion is most definitely not an issue, at least above 1800-2000 fps.

Bill, I'm surprised you got caught up in this tale.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 AM

I never had any problems with the GMX 30 cal 165gr out of my 300wsm. I think they are one of the best bullets on the market for that gun. Here is a picture of 3 bullets that I pulled out of elk. The one on the left is 350yards and middle is 100yards and the right one is 150. As far as fouling goes, I would say normal.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
You do realize the heaviest GMX they make is a 165 gr in .30cal right? Unless he was shooting from 500 yards or more, I can't see velocity being a problem. Sounds more like a guy blaming his poor marksmanship on bullets to me. I've seen a pile of critters go down to GMX bullets and I've recovered a handful and expansion is most definitely not an issue, at least above 1800-2000 fps.
I don't load any .308" bullets, so I never bothered to check the available GMX bullet weights, but I am aware of several people using heavy for caliber monometal bullets, and then complaining about inadequate expansion.
Then again, if the person is handloading the GMX, we don't know what velocity he is loading to.
However, I will be the first to agree that the most likely scenario is poor bullet placement. As I posted previously, for many people, it's much easier to blame bullet performance, than it is to accept responsibility for poor shooting.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 AM

I have had great success with 150 gr gmx out of my 30-06. Last year I dropped an antelope, doe and a moose in their tracks with the first shot. I am now using the 165 gr interbonds which I'm having great accuracy with but haven't taken any game yet. Looking forward to November 15/16, taking 2 weeks off of work for whitetail
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
I shot a whitetail doe at about about 339 yards with a GMX from a 270.

Complete pass through. Exit hole was large. Doe was on the run and flipped head over ass when hit and died on the spot (spine)
Wow, a 339 running shot? On a doe? That's ummmm... Impressive? Lol something seems a little over exaggerated but you never know lol, so you had enough time to range it too while it was running?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM

There's lots of time to range them when they're dead !
Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 PM

Buck naked's bullets look pretty good to me. Similar performance to the Nosler partition & Win fail safe. I have not tried them yet the only reason being they don't come in 180 grain.
I spoke with some fellows that use the 168 gr TTSX in 300 Weatherby & swore by the performance on game.
The one thing I'm seeing a lot with any of these bullets is that they need speed to open up. I don't understand why anyone would hunt Griz with an odd six anyway. Seems to me they should be used in magnums only because of the need for speed.
Am currently switching back to accubonds as they open up a bit more but don't seem to grenade on meat. If you do try them let us know the results.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Buck naked's bullets look pretty good to me. Similar performance to the Nosler partition & Win fail safe. I have not tried them yet the only reason being they don't come in 180 grain.
I spoke with some fellows that use the 168 gr TTSX in 300 Weatherby & swore by the performance on game.
The one thing I'm seeing a lot with any of these bullets is that they need speed to open up. I don't understand why anyone would hunt Griz with an odd six anyway. Seems to me they should be used in magnums only because of the need for speed.
Am currently switching back to accubonds as they open up a bit more but don't seem to grenade on meat. If you do try them let us know the results.
A 30-06 will give you all the speed you need for the GMX to work out to 500 yards. I doubt Accubonds do any better in the same velocity range. All premium big game bullets need some speed for optimal performance.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Wow, a 339 running shot? On a doe? That's ummmm... Impressive? Lol something seems a little over exaggerated but you never know lol, so you had enough time to range it too while it was running?
Thanks for the compliment. It was a pretty good shot.

I do have a witness and as someone else pointed out, it is quite easy to range them once they're dead. You simply mark where you shot from.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Lots of Grizz have been taken with an 06' but usually pushing a heavier premium bullet like a220 gr A-Frame or original TBBC. Partitions and grand slams used some. Well I would personally would not specifically use a 165 gmx for G bear , still must have been some poor shooting .
Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 PM

I only pass along what I am told. This particular young man is a fine game shot, an accomplished hunter, and has certainly accounted for a good number of animals of all sorts. However, his shot placement on bears has always been behind the shoulder and I suspect the bullet (a 165) just wasn't encountering enough resistance to open reliably. He should have tried to hit some bone. Ultimately, I think it comes down to the same sort of thing as the X bullets; they work better than anything else except when they don't. I still favour bullets with lead in them because they have always worked just fine for me. Of course, I'm sort of mature and may be slow to recognize how good the latest new things are. I still use fixed power scopes, for cryin' out loud! Leeper
Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
I only pass along what I am told. This particular young man is a fine game shot, an accomplished hunter, and has certainly accounted for a good number of animals of all sorts. However, his shot placement on bears has always been behind the shoulder and I suspect the bullet (a 165) just wasn't encountering enough resistance to open reliably. He should have tried to hit some bone. Ultimately, I think it comes down to the same sort of thing as the X bullets; they work better than anything else except when they don't. I still favour bullets with lead in them because they have always worked just fine for me. Of course, I'm sort of mature and may be slow to recognize how good the latest new things are. I still use fixed power scopes, for cryin' out loud! Leeper
They don't need to hit bone to open Bill, behind the shoulder works just fine.......They haven't made X bullets for years. They were plagued with some expansion problems for sure but they are many generations removed from the mono metals of today. It's sad that that reputation follows them and people keep propogating it. I suspect the young man is not as fine of a shot as you believe...at least not when it comes to grizzly bears.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM

I know the X bullets are no longer made; I just used it as a generic term. As I said, I only pass information along. Now, I don't necessarily believe the GMX bullet is a turkey and it may, in fact, be an exceptional performer but I don't always take that at face value. Again, I'm just passing along information I receive and don't mean to be argumentative. As always, I am in receipt of a lot of testimonial info. Some I discount entirely, some I feel is worthy of further study. This information is not enough to make me want to avoid GMX bullets but it does, along with the examples of TSX failures I've seen and heard about, make me a slight sceptic when it comes to proclamations of the monometals as the pinnacle of bullet developement. The thing is, the shot may have been a bad one but the others, which hit as intended, were not so perhaps the bullets did not perform as well as they should have. Or, perhaps they did and the bear just didn't know enough to die like he should have. Often people latch onto a bullet, cartridge, rifle, or scope, and just prefer to ignore any negative data. I guess that is their prerogative. I must say, if they are doing so from field experience, it's pretty hard to argue against so I'll say no more! Leeper
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
I know the X bullets are no longer made; I just used it as a generic term. As I said, I only pass information along. Now, I don't necessarily believe the GMX bullet is a turkey and it may, in fact, be an exceptional performer but I don't always take that at face value. Again, I'm just passing along information I receive and don't mean to be argumentative. As always, I am in receipt of a lot of testimonial info. Some I discount entirely, some I feel is worthy of further study. This information is not enough to make me want to avoid GMX bullets but it does, along with the examples of TSX failures I've seen and heard about, make me a slight sceptic when it comes to proclamations of the monometals as the pinnacle of bullet developement. The thing is, the shot may have been a bad one but the others, which hit as intended, were not so perhaps the bullets did not perform as well as they should have. Or, perhaps they did and the bear just didn't know enough to die like he should have. Often people latch onto a bullet, cartridge, rifle, or scope, and just prefer to ignore any negative data. I guess that is their prerogative. I must say, if they are doing so from field experience, it's pretty hard to argue against so I'll say no more! Leeper
I tend to belive what I've actually experienced and witnessed. If I passed along every tale of equipment failure that was do to human inadequacy...well let's just say AO would need another server. It's good to pass along info that has basis in fact...other tales, not so much. I thought you'd know better.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It's good to pass along info that has basis in fact...other tales, not so much. I thought you'd know better.
If the game is not recovered (the bear in this case) its pretty hard to tell if the bullet passed or failed no?

As you mentioned Barnes had some issues which took time to solve. This is my worry with hornadys first mono-metal bullet. Hope it's as good as they say but for me, I will wait a few years.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
If the game is not recovered (the bear in this case) its pretty hard to tell if the bullet passed or failed no?
Ya but they failed in the one that died too....lol
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ya but they failed in the one that died too....lol
?????
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
But it's just so much easier to blame the bullet, than it is to accept that the shooter made a poor shot.