Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 09:25 PM

Default New vs older BAR''s perspectives

Hey all,
I've always been a bolt guy with very limited interest or knowledge in semi-autos. Recently I bought an older Browning BAR MKII w/BOSS 243 and only now gained interest and seek knowledge. Browning has made BAR''s for quite some time and several changed in appearance over the years.....but my question is what's your thoughts on pro's vs cons of the BAR''s and older vs newer? Thought maybe a friendly discussion from past/present owners might be quite educational😊. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:28 PM

I have only owned one BAR, a Mark II in 7mmremmag, and after having it jam in the field, I have no interest in owning another one.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:36 PM

Is jamming common?....or do they require more attention /cleaning? I'll always be a diehard bolt guy....though to beat a quality bolt, but might try this for varmints....maybe early season deer....
Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Is jamming common?....or do they require more attention /cleaning? I'll always be a diehard bolt guy....though to beat a quality bolt, but might try this for varmints....maybe early season deer....
My rifles are cleaned and lubed after every use, and I had no issues at the range, but the rifle did fail to feed in freezing rain on a hunt. Luckily a second shot was not required. The next owner had a similar experience on a moose hunt.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:43 PM

Always good to know weaknesses on the front end😊. Thnx
Old 11-17-2017, 10:43 PM

I have 2 older BAR,s 300 WM and 7RM and 2 new model 7-08
Never had any issues
Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 PM

I have always had a couple around and never had any major problems,i have a newer bar in 7mm wsm and it shoots very well,low recoil. I also have one in 300 wsm but have not fired it yet it's a new one.

I had one in 243,270,308,30 06 7mm rm ,300win and all cycled well. I was telling a guy once about an HK 770 I use to own that never jammed while out shooting with him,sure as heck it jammed,once in 8 years.Polished clean them always using very little oil.,oiling them to much can give you big problems and things get sticky from the cold and then they will jam or not even cycle right.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I have always had a couple around and never had any major problems,i have a newer bar in 7mm wsm and it shoots very well,low recoil. I also have one in 300 wsm but have not fired it yet it's a new one.

I had one in 243,270,308,30 06 7mm rm ,300win and all cycled well. I was telling a guy once about an HK 770 I use to own that never jammed while out shooting with him,sure as heck it jammed,once in 8 years.Polished clean them always using very little oil.,oiling them to much can give you big problems and things get sticky from the cold and then they will jam or not even cycle right.
I bought a new shortrac in 308 about five years ago.never had any problems cycling.from what ive heard/read the key seems to be running them dry with very little oil.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My rifles are cleaned and lubed after every use, and I had no issues at the range, but the rifle did fail to feed in freezing rain on a hunt. Luckily a second shot was not required. The next owner had a similar experience on a moose hunt.
The lube statement would be a reason you possibly had an issue. Understanding how they function would have been an asset.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
The lube statement would be a reason you possibly had an issue. Understanding how they function would have been an asset.
I understand how they function just fine, which is why lube was only used on certain components, and very sparingly. If you are suggesting that no lube of any kind should ever be used on BAR , then perhaps it is you that has no understanding of how they operate?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have several all in short action. I have never had an issue with failing to fire. I Keep them as clean as my other guns. I use Brownings Winchesters and Benellis. I use mostly levers and semi auto rifles.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:53 AM

First riffle i bought in the 80s was a 30-06 auto.
It would jam if I used a lead tipped bullet ,as the lead would peal off on entree.
This was fixed with bullets with plastic tips.

I sold the riffle because they are not safe.
Always had a loaded gun after the first shot.

I find the tang to pull back to load or eject was way to small on cold days if you are wearing gloves.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I have several all in short action. I have never had an issue with failing to fire. I Keep them as clean as my other guns. I use Brownings Winchesters and Benellis. I use mostly levers and semi auto rifles.
Perhaps you should reread my previous post a little slower, the rifle never failed to fire, it failed to properly chamber the next round. I was hunting in freezing rain, and the ice build up was likely the reason for this, but this has never been an issue for me with a manual action. With a manual action it would take more effort to cycle the action, but I could still have properly cycled the action. And as I posted previously, my BAR was chambered in 7mmremmag, so it wasn't a short action.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:22 AM

Thanks guys ...great info and insight😊
Old 11-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks guys ...great info and insight��
Glad to pass on my experience with BARs. Have used the 1970's models as well as the new Shortrac ones. As with any tool they work well if looked after, and will shoot as accurate as most people that use them. I have one with the BOSS system on a 243 as well. It is worth calibrating to the round your using. They handle nicely, and fit me well. The new ones are quite a bit lighter than the early ones. I have some Belgium made as well as Japan made. Felt recoil on the early models is lighter than the new ones. They are all fun to shoot. They work well for shooting coyotes, when you can get more than one coming in at a time.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Default New

I have had two new aluminum framed BAR semi auto's with unsecured scope thread inserts. This problem is serious and one of the poorest decisions incorporated into a modern rifle. The fix is often not reliable. I would never own one of these newer rifles, but the prior versions why the heck not.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Awesome guys😀....what type of rounds did you use in your boss equipped 243 ? Ive tried several types in my bolts from Hornady to nosler to Barnes and found the blue box federal to fly the best lol. I'm looking forward to trying this unit out....like I said I've never got into semi''s in the past.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Awesome guys��....what type of rounds did you use in your boss equipped 243 ? Ive tried several types in my bolts from Hornady to nosler to Barnes and found the blue box federal to fly the best lol. I'm looking forward to trying this unit out....like I said I've never got into semi''s in the past.
I have used the federal blue box 100 grain with good results. I reload so I have used a variety of powders and bullets. Seems I come back to Win 760 powder. I have found good results with several different combinations. Good luck to you.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I have had two new aluminum framed BAR semi auto's with unsecured scope thread inserts. This problem is serious and one of the poorest decisions incorporated into a modern rifle. The fix is often not reliable. I would never own one of these newer rifles, but the prior versions why the heck not.
That is something I have not experienced, and with any luck I hope I don't.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:46 PM

I was given one to use when I was too young to own my own rifles, I got a couple deer with it, but it did jam once on the followup shot. It didn't lockup properly.

Stick with the bolt guns, especially when you like them.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Browning

I have an old Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag. I bought it used, and it was in pretty poor cosmetic shape due to riding around in a scabbard. Blueing was pretty thin or gone. Took it in and had the exterior Teflon coated and redid the wood myself.

Fired a lot of factory rounds and my own reloads over the years. Never a fail to feed or fire. Used two mags in it and never an issue with either. I think the original Brownings were a pretty well made firearm.

Dont use it much anymore as I moved up to a .375 H&H mag for the big stuff.

Last edited by Puma; 11-18-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:28 PM

Default Browning BAR

I have 2 browning BARS, 7mm longtrac and a 338 safari, 7mm is 7 years old about 20 boxes down the barrel with 0 issues, I have only had the 338 safari for 1 year with about 6 boxes down the barrel with 0 issues, I don't clean my guns nearly enough but they work flawless.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:49 PM

Awesome😊. I'm very particular so I'll probably go through it thoroughly and being a bit older Safari I hope it treats me good!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:48 PM

Family member has a 1969 Belgium made one in 30/06. It will feed anything with no loading issues but it can be a bit picky about ammo choice accuracy wise

The bolt lugs need to be kept clean. If they get gummed up the bolt will not seat fully and you will get failure to fires. This is the only issue he has ran into with it.

Recoil is very light, I had no problem with it as a 12 y/o.