Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Default Comments on Redfield Scopes

I am looking at getting a new Redfield scope for the .270 X-Bolt that I want and am looking for feedback on them. I am looking at the 4-12X in either the Revolution or Revenge. I know the Revolutions are built in the US and the Revenges are built overseas. I would like some feedback from people that have used them, have them or have seriously compared them. I don't want to spend a huge amount on a new scope and think that these are a pretty good value.

Please don't post about how Ziess is the greatest or Leupold is the only way to go, I would just like feedback on the Redfields.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned

I have a 3-9 on my .270. Its a good scope but IMO its deffinatly not the best option for the money. Running the risk of being told how to read.... the Bushnell 3200's cost about the same and I'd take one over a Redfield any day. The glass is pretty close but fit/finish and quality of build on the 3200 is noticibly better, the adjustment clicks are far more precise, I've put mine through absolute hell and its never lost its zero so I have more confidence in it on a tough hunt. Just this weekend I discovered how much better the lense coating on the Bushnell works over the Redfield in wet conditions. me and my wife were hunting in very heavy snow and keeping the Redfield dry enough that one could see well enough through it to make a shot was a real chore, although I did clean off the Bushnell ocaisionaly it never got to the point where one couldnt see through it good enough to shoot. The only advantage to the Redfield is its longer eye relief but IMO putting it on a rifle that kicks hard enough to actualy need the extra relief would be a bad idea.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I have a 3-9 on my .270. Its a good scope but IMO its deffinatly not the best option for the money. Running the risk of being told how to read.... the Bushnell 3200's cost about the same and I'd take one over a Redfield any day. The glass is pretty close but fit/finish and quality of build on the 3200 is noticibly better, the adjustment clicks are far more precise, I've put mine through absolute hell and its never lost its zero so I have more confidence in it on a tough hunt. Just this weekend I discovered how much better the lense coating on the Bushnell works over the Redfield in wet conditions. me and my wife were hunting in very heavy snow and keeping the Redfield dry enough that one could see well enough through it to make a shot was a real chore, although I did clean off the Bushnell ocaisionaly it never got to the point where one couldnt see through it good enough to shoot. The only advantage to the Redfield is its longer eye relief but IMO putting it on a rifle that kicks hard enough to actualy need the extra relief would be a bad idea.
Bushnell does not make a 3200 any more.

I've tried a couple Redfields and for the money the glass was decent. I didn't use either long enough to comment on durability though.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM

I've had a Redfield on two different .300WM rifles and it has stood up to the way I handle my guns pretty well. I think they are slightly short to fit well on Remington mounts as the rings are always 1/8" or so from where you can't mount them. They definitely don't give you much room to move.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM

Was always a Bushnell/Baush & Lomb guy but wanted to try the Redfield to see what all the hype was about. Mounted on a proven rifle the first three were well grouped but off to the left. Made the adjustments and fired three more. First one perfect the next two back with the first three.

Repeated that a couple times and traded it in for a Vortex.

Well the Vortex is gone and there sits a 3200. Only cost me about a hundred with bullets etc....
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM

they r made by Leupold so they cant be that bad. Like mine have one on 270 win and another on 300wsm. For the money cant go wrong
Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Bushnell does not make a 3200 any more.

I've tried a couple Redfields and for the money the glass was decent. I didn't use either long enough to comment on durability though.
This is terrible news, I was also told that they dont make a regular 3-9 power in the 4200 series either. Are they just trying to send buisness elsewhere or somthing?

I suppose I could investigate it myself but since you seem pretty informed did they change the name or replace it with somthing else? Or are they just turning the Elite line into a bunch of huge, clunky, high magnification, borderline novelty scopes?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Default Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktaker View Post
they r made by Leupold so they cant be that bad. Like mine have one on 270 win and another on 300wsm. For the money cant go wrong
That's right - they're made by Leopold and covered by the same warranty:

http://www.redfield.com/support/#FullLifetimeWarranty

I have one on my 308 and am quite happy with it. They're a no frills scope but I wouldn't hesitate to but another one.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
This is terrible news, I was also told that they dont make a regular 3-9 power in the 4200 series either. Are they just trying to send buisness elsewhere or somthing?

I suppose I could investigate it myself but since you seem pretty informed did they change the name or replace it with somthing else? Or are they just turning the Elite line into a bunch of huge, clunky, high magnification, borderline novelty scopes?
I think there is only a single Elite line now....no 3200, 4200, etc.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh, glad to hear that. As long as their the same scopes at the same price then I stand by my original opinion. Is there anyone that has used both of these scopes for a season or so that feels the Redfield is on par with the Elite? Other than the odd hunter sporting a raging Leupold boner I kind of doubt it.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM

Default Redfield REVOLUTION

My son and I and his hunting partner and his dad all pirchased a Revolution last year. Two of these scopes are on various 300 Magnums. They seem to do their job quite well so far but we haven't hunted that hard with them. This year they might get more of a ''workout''
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/elite
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM

I bought a Redfield 6-18 x 42 mm for my Browning X-bolt 7mm WSM.. All i have to say is.. Best scope i ever bought ... Its clear like a Leupold and their choice of Reticle is awesome.. i love their Accuranger

I took the Varmint reticle its very sweet.

about the Zeiss... not sure whats wrong with em latelly.. but they are a pain to adjust... yea im talking about the Conquest for about 500$.. its very hard to turn the turret with your finger.. and yea... i returned mine very fast... and bought a Redfield....

Leupold / Redfield.. Best scopes i have.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 PM

I have a 3200 on my 338 win mag it holds up good but don't like when on low power that i can see the last 4-6'' of my barrel. Thinking of buying a weaver, redfield or minox for 7mm. I'm not overly impressed with leupold on 300 mag. I'm really leaning to weaver.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:19 PM

I have a revenge on a 243 and I REALLY like the scope for its clarity and light. I have a luepold VX3 and it was like 600$ more then the redfield and its definitly not 600$ better.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 PM

Default I have a few redfields.....

I have a 2-7 on my 375H&H. Put it on there until I could afford a better one and it just stayed there. Works great has the accurange reticle and it is good out to 400 yards. Bang on! After that it starts falling off but that is to be expected. I have a 3-9 on my 243 with the accurange as well. It is really deadly all the way out to 500. The light transmission is great. Side buy side with my vx2 at sundown and it's real hard to tell the difference. My GF has a 3-9 on her 7mm-08 and loves it. I actually started her with a leupold vx1 and she wanted a redfield instead so went out and bought one. My brother has a 4-12 on his 270 with the accurange reticle and loves it also. We went to the range and he tried all the steel out to 500 and hit em all! They also seem to track really well. I had a really easy time sighting them in! They are a great scope for the price in my opinion. Good luck with your choice.

Tone
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 PM

I have a revolution 3-9x40 on a 308 and am quite happy with it. Like someone else said its nothing fancy but for me it more than gets the job done. Gotta love the warranty should you ever have a problem. From what I have read online they are made in the Leupold plant.

Good luck shopping
Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Problem with Busnell is that they keep re-branding their lines to keep you totally confused. I have both a Baush and Lomb Elite and a Bushnell version.

Grizz