Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Question CIL Parker-Hale Expert needed!

Was over at a buds today and he was telling me how this 308 he just bought was loading like crap and jamming so I said "Lets see" I looked at the gun and could tell that it was a long action ??? Popped the mag and imprinted on it is 30/06-270.

I would assume that its been barreled or has someone seen this before?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:13 PM

Both the 30-06 and the 270 use the same dimentions in everything but the neck/bullet size. So, if the magazine fits the 30-06, it also fits the 270. If the imprint that you mention is on the magazine, I expect that it promises that this magazine will work well with either 30-06 or 270 without a gunsmith's alteration. What caliber is stamped on the barrel?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Is it a 972C in a long action or short acxtion?
IIRC the short action mags will not fit the long actions like some brands will.
Cat
Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 PM

the rifle has a 308 barrel on a long action
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM

308 Normal mag?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 PM

308 W is stamped on the barrel... 308 win
Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 PM

Wrong magazine??
I'll have to check my books, I may haave the 972 anbd the 950 mixed up, it may well be that the proper sized mag has a spacer in it and a shorter follower.
Cat
Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Rider View Post
Was over at a buds today and he was telling me how this 308 he just bought was loading like crap and jamming so I said "Lets see" I looked at the gun and could tell that it was a long action ??? Popped the mag and imprinted on it is 30/06-270.

I would assume that its been barreled or has someone seen this before?
Is it a commercial or military conversion. The military conversions have a thumb notch cut out on the left side of the action top sidewall. Generally sloppier as well. Long action.

It is possible someone lost the original clip and someone replaced it with a 30-06 clip. It is not uncommon for mfgs to use a spacer block at the back of the mag to still use a shorter case like a 308 win on a 30-06 sized action.

Pictures would help...
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Is it a commercial or military conversion. The military conversions have a thumb notch cut out on the left side of the action top sidewall. Generally sloppier as well. Long action.

It is possible someone lost the original clip and someone replaced it with a 30-06 clip. It is not uncommon for mfgs to use a spacer block at the back of the mag to still use a shorter case like a 308 win on a 30-06 sized action.

Pictures would help...
Every 972 Ii have ever seen was a commercial action, never have seen one with the thumb cut-out.
Cat
Old 10-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Banned

Sounds like a 1200 SC (superclip) that someone changed barrels on.

Got pics?

Flippin magazines are IMPOSSIBLE to find for those.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 PM

PH only used the surplus actions for a few years 1962-65. After that they went to new Santa Barbara actions from Spain,and to the HVA style side safety. The dbm versions were the last of the PH models built,somewhere in the mid to late 70s they came out.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 PM

Is there a spacer block at the back of the mag? And is he putting his cartridges into the mag or trying to load them sing shot? The old PH's with the big controled round feed claw extractor didn't load straight in but needed to go thru the magazine
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshell View Post
Is there a spacer block at the back of the mag? And is he putting his cartridges into the mag or trying to load them sing shot? The old PH's with the big controled round feed claw extractor didn't load straight in but needed to go thru the magazine
Long actions for short cartridges generally have a longer bolt stop as well as the mag. spacer. Something else to check.

Grizz
Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Many of the PH actions were modified to single load.
Cat
Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Any of the Parker-Hale C models in 308 that i have seen were fitted with the same box mag as the 30/06. Occasionally, some tweaking of the magazine may be necessary to get the 308 to feed well.
All Parker hale 1200 and CIL 972 actions are the same length. I have not seen any variations in bolt stop or ejector.
I have to confess, I have always hated the C models and look upon them as an example of how it is possible to screw up anything if you work at it. The Mauser 98 magazine system is perfection itself. Adding a detachable box magazine just messes up the perfect system. Leeper
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
I have to confess, I have always hated the C models and look upon them as an example of how it is possible to screw up anything if you work at it. The Mauser 98 magazine system is perfection itself. Adding a detachable box magazine just messes up the perfect system. Leeper
I agree totally,and most of them I have seen were very loose and "rattlely"!
I never could figure out what was wromg with a hinged floor plate!!
Cat
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Many of the PH actions were modified to single load.
Cat
I had mine modified,I've seen a few guys who jammed one in and had to come over to my place to get the brass hammered out lol.

I never had a problem with my clip and it does'nt rattle,but a floor plate can't be lost or miss-placed or forgotten on the table etc etc Most of my rifles have had clips and I've spent way too many hours searching for them...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Precisionshooter

Clearly the complicated nature of a clip is not for everyone ( LOL ). They are apparently easily lost and protect loaded rounds too well.... The semi-fixed floorplate or hinged system is best used by those who like to fondle their cases on a regular basis, lose them or drop them in the sand/mud/snow/dirt while unloading the firearm. Or just cycling the bolt back and forth until it is empty to ensure the action cycles freely and gets sloppier with use. Then when reloading the firearm and firing the contaminated case or damaged bullet they hope to improve accuracy and/or induce a process of fire lapping and/or reducing bolt thrust by having the case press sand into the chamber wall etc. etc.... I think the hinged systems are great They can look nice and I suspect that might be one of the underlying reasons.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:45 AM

I think the biggst prooblem with deatchable mags is people keep taking them out after they load them , and forget where they put them!!
That and i have talked to several guys over the years that cannot seem to grasp the thought of actually using some authority when installing a magazine, and then the mag falls out.
Cat
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post

Flippin magazines are IMPOSSIBLE to find for those.
I've had one sitting in the console of my truck since 2005. I was given an old PH .243 and without checking the barrel out too well I took it apart and started cleaning it up. In the meantime I went to a gun show in Lethbridge and happened to find a .308 clip in real good shape so I paid a ridiculous amount for it. I then found out the gun had been found under a house and that the barrel was too pitted to shoot the gun. So I have it still in pieces sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think the biggst prooblem with deatchable mags is people keep taking them out after they load them , and forget where they put them!!
That and i have talked to several guys over the years that cannot seem to grasp the thought of actually using some authority when installing a magazine, and then the mag falls out.
Cat
I have missplaced my magazines way too many times to count and keep threatning to go to a hinged floorplate rifle,but every time I get another rifle its a danged dbm!!! Fixed that tho couple weeks ago..bought myself a p17 ought six
Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I have missplaced my magazines way too many times to count and keep threatning to go to a hinged floorplate rifle,but every time I get another rifle its a danged dbm!!! Fixed that tho couple weeks ago..bought myself a p17 ought six

Whatever works!
Cat
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Precisionshooter

36+ years of hunting an never lost one clip. Better rush out and buy a lotto ticket......
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM

I remember my winchester 490 .22 I had in highschool that the mag spring retention screw would back out and I was always retightning after losing another mag,sold that gun because of it...
Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonhunter View Post
I've had one sitting in the console of my truck since 2005. I was given an old PH .243 and without checking the barrel out too well I took it apart and started cleaning it up. In the meantime I went to a gun show in Lethbridge and happened to find a .308 clip in real good shape so I paid a ridiculous amount for it. I then found out the gun had been found under a house and that the barrel was too pitted to shoot the gun. So I have it still in pieces sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
I have two now... but they both came with rifles

No problem with em being rattley either...its pretty easy to adjust tension and sort that out.
I like the DBMs
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 PM

The biggest problem with many detachable magazines is that they may become lost. The biggest problem with the Parker'Hale was that it was a poorly designed and poorly made system. I like good detachable magazines but I hate poor ones; it's a poor one.
Mauser's magazine system is a great one, especially for those who are not a klutz and who have no trouble with dropping their ammunition in the dirt, and the switch to a detachable magazine was a step backward. Leeper
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 PM

well the dbm on th parker hale has never failed me,it works as good as the dbm on my tika and the one on my savage,and even as good as the dbm on my lee enfield.The crumbiest design I ever saw was the half dbm and half floor plate of the browning bbr's and later a bolts
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
well the dbm on th parker hale has never failed me,it works as good as the dbm on my tika and the one on my savage,and even as good as the dbm on my lee enfield.The crumbiest design I ever saw was the half dbm and half floor plate of the browning bbr's and later a bolts
I agree .
There are much worse out there and few that are much better.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:44 PM

I have a ph in 243 with clip. The major problem with mine is that the clip will hold three rounds but i don't think its supposed to. It bends the lobes on top of the clip and will not feed right. If you use it as a single shot you should insert the round into the extracter claw. One thing that is true is that they are terribly expensive and hard to find. I have a 308 norma with the floor plate that loads fine.

Tags
cil, parker hale