Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
The minnows are trout-perch.

Best match for size, colour and shape.

Whites like something like this w/w it's similar to the bait fish.

D.

Old 12-06-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Whites like something like this w/w it's similar to the bait fish.

D.

When I fished Pigeon a lot for whites I predominantly used minnow patterns.

Even putting a thawed small frozen minnow on a small white jig head…thread down the body worked great.

Trick is to attract them in. If you find a slightly muddy/sandy bottom and dropping and raising makes puffs of silt…then that’s optimal. Looks like a minnow feeding.

A long bronze wire with a dark grey or black wire weave could mimic also. I would make the bead white with a black eye spot. Also a little Tuff of white rabbit fur on the other end. Then it looks like the minnow dipping face first into the mud. Chasing chironomids.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-06-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
When I fished Pigeon a lot for whites I predominantly used minnow patterns.

Even putting a thawed small frozen minnow on a small white jig head…thread down the body worked great.

Trick is to attract them in. If you find a slightly muddy/sandy bottom and dropping and raising makes puffs of silt…then that’s optimal. Looks like a minnow feeding.

A long bronze wire with a dark grey or black wire weave could mimic also. I would make the bead white with a black eye spot. Also a little Tuff of white rabbit fur on the other end. Then it looks like the minnow dipping face first into the mud. Chasing chironomids.

Agreed, this is why my "Pumpkin" color Mini-Mr. Twister tails on 1/32 oz jigs work so well on Whites. I've caught Whites on these during the hard water season, however, I've found the Mr Twister's are far more productive during open water. Rather than a Flutter Spoon, I'll put a jig & twister tail on bottom & tie a Brass or Y/O Candy-Cane w/w on top, the Whites normally inhale the w/w in the winter.

D.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:55 PM

At Pigeon lake in the early 1960's at places like Mission Beach or Fisher Home The ice anglers would congregate on the ice over 5 or 6 feet of sandy bottom. 2 to 300 or more people would be fishing each a few feet apart and most would be jigging silver or gold minnow shaped russian hooks an inch long.(just like the spotted ones in the pic but plain shiny silver or gold) And probably unknowingly, logic suggests everyone fishing together like that with the same minnow shaped hooks most likely made all these little russian hooks look like a big school of minnows to the whitefish. Very few anglers sat in tents and all just hand jigged and alot of the times many folks would catch several or even limit out on whites pretty quick.

I know that Pigeon lake has changed but there are still big schools of whites. Might be a strategy, fish together in numbers using the same minnow hooks to sort of create an artifical school of minnows under the ice.

The first wireworms came around years later. Somehow I remember reading it was a fellow from Devon that invented or marketed the first copper or brass wire wrapped wireworm hooks back around the late 70's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg russian.jpg (21.9 KB, 79 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-07-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Agreed, this is why my "Pumpkin" color Mini-Mr. Twister tails on 1/32 oz jigs work so well on Whites. I've caught Whites on these during the hard water season, however, I've found the Mr Twister's are far more productive during open water. Rather than a Flutter Spoon, I'll put a jig & twister tail on bottom & tie a Brass or Y/O Candy-Cane w/w on top, the Whites normally inhale the w/w in the winter.

D.

That is a very good colour.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-07-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
At Pigeon lake in the early 1960's at places like Mission Beach or Fisher Home The ice anglers would congregate on the ice over 5 or 6 feet of sandy bottom. 2 to 300 or more people would be fishing each a few feet apart and most would be jigging silver or gold minnow shaped russian hooks an inch long.(just like the spotted ones in the pic but plain shiny silver or gold) And probably unknowingly, logic suggests everyone fishing together like that with the same minnow shaped hooks most likely made all these little russian hooks look like a big school of minnows to the whitefish. Very few anglers sat in tents and all just hand jigged and alot of the times many folks would catch several or even limit out on whites pretty quick.

I know that Pigeon lake has changed but there are still big schools of whites. Might be a strategy, fish together in numbers using the same minnow hooks to sort of create an artifical school of minnows under the ice.

The first wireworms came around years later. Somehow I remember reading it was a fellow from Devon that invented or marketed the first copper or brass wire wrapped wireworm hooks back around the late 70's.
Makes sense.

I laugh when people come by at Sundance and see hundreds of perch and feel awkward about fishing nearby.

I tell them the more people fishing for perch the more the perch get attracted over.

Certainly the same can work for whites. They are a very curious fish.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:22 PM

Forgot about Pink .... made a few of these & tied them up on a rod, they produced last season, we'll see how they do on the weekend ... stay tuned.

D.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:12 PM

[SIZE="3"]Dec 11th ... Opening Day came home with 3 Whites, these three patterns worked today, was anchored in 6 FOW over sand weed bottom.

Should of had 4 on the Yellow/Orange Candycane, they showed more interest in that pattern than any of the other w/w's I had on my 4 rods. Was using Pink Mag's, I believe they helped a bit

Today they came in very slow & I got a bit excited and either they missed the w/w or I missed them, one hit the line & hook eye & never came back for another try ... that's fishin..

D.[/SIZE]

Nice Bottom for Whites

This was the popular color with a glow bead.

This one hit hard, it wanted this brown color (Cat 5/6 computer wire).

Smaller hook with no glow bead only got 1.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the update Zip! Been a few years since I hit up ol’ Sylvan. How’s it been the last few years ? Changed much?
Old 12-13-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Thanks for the update Zip! Been a few years since I hit up ol’ Sylvan. How’s it been the last few years ? Changed much?
Your welcome .... Town is growing, people are friendly, lots to do & great place to live out retirement.

Fishin has been great for me, others maybe not so much, time for you to make a trip out here.

D.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:11 PM

Dec 13th ... Fishing Tip:

My most productive Z-z Creation (Patent Pending) caught 6 Whites on this pattern before noon today. My theory is the color's are a great combo with the "Glow Bead", it's deadly.

I believe I first introduced glow beads to w/w patterns here in this thread, if that's not accurate, I stand corrected. That said, they really make a difference in improving your success. If you haven't made any w/w with glow beads, I recommend you get some from the Fishing Hole or Amazon & start.

Whites ignored every other pattern/color/size I put down today.

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-13-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:34 PM

Dec 16th ... these worked, but it was a brutal day, Whites were slowly moving through my area about 4-5 ft under the ice in 10 FOW. Whites would just bump my w/w's. Had jig & minnow on my second rod, the Walleye & Pike were more interested in my w/w that eating a fat lake shiner. Missed the Walter got old Slimey & small White, they all went back.

D.

Blurry Pic - Brass 1/2 Glow Bead & what's left of a Pink Mag.

Blurry pic of Y/O CandyCane - Glow Bead

Old 12-18-2021, 08:49 PM

Dec 18th ... these worked today, don't have a Pic of the Shrimp Scud Scott used to catch the largest White today. Walleye hit a Slender spoon and I missed a really-really nice walleye on the same spoon. Pike murdered the Yellow flutter spoon. Seen a nice Burb, wasn't interested in W/W's.

D..

Old 12-20-2021, 08:40 PM

Dec 20th ... my last day on Sylvan before I depart for Palm Springs.

My Flutter spoons called them in & they hit the W/W I had tied about 10" above, Y/O Candy-Cane-GB & Brass-Glow Bead & 2 Pink Mag’s produced 7 Whites let 2 small ones go.

Wish everyone a successful hard water season ... more updates in 2022/23.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Dec 20th ... my last day on Sylvan before I depart for Palm Springs.

My Flutter spoons called them in & they hit the W/W I had tied about 10" above, Y/O Candy-Cane-GB & Brass-Glow Bead & 2 Pink Mag’s produced 7 Whites let 2 small ones go.

Wish everyone a successful hard water season ... more updates in 2022/23.

Cheers

D.

How deep were you fishing if you don't mind? We fished yesterday as well in 6 FOW but only saw some sporadically. Thanks and enjoy your vacation.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:21 AM

I'm pretty sure the whites in Sylvan are glad you're heading south for the winter. Safe travels David.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akn View Post
How deep were you fishing if you don't mind? We fished yesterday as well in 6 FOW but only saw some sporadically. Thanks and enjoy your vacation.
On Monday I was in 9 FOW and on Saturday when Scott joined me he was a few paces from my shed in 10 FOW. Whites, Walleye & Pike were coming up the shelf from the main lake were most of the shacks are anchored and moved shallower towards shore. Find some bottom with short weeds & sand patches close or near the shelf and you should see more activity.

Wish you all the success.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I'm pretty sure the whites in Sylvan are glad you're heading south for the winter. Safe travels David.
Tks Dean, my fishin rods are hung up for my golf clubs, need to work on my farmer tan. Was accepted as a volunteer walking scorer at the PGA American Express golf tourney in Palm Springs from Jan 22-23, that's the one Phil Michelson sponsors ... should be fun.

Cheers.

D.

Old 12-25-2021, 01:32 PM

See you all here next year ....

D.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:56 PM

Default Pre-tying w/w

Hello All

Just curious if people wait till they get to the lake then tie on their w/w or do you pre-tie a few different rigs/combos and then switch out if they do not produce.

Do you keep them tied for next time or do you cut them off the line and re-tie each and every time?

I like to tie mine/ pick out the combos the night before but would like to know what other people do.

Thanks

Eric
Old 01-11-2022, 09:53 PM

Signing in from Palm Springs were the only Whitefish here are fat one's that don't taste that good, but do they ever fight, my 3 iron has an stiff Steelfiber shaft to muscle them in.

In response to your Q .... I can get 4 rod's in my fishin/gun case, three rods have 2 w/w's pre-tied about 10" apart, darker on top lighter color on bottom.

I normally go with my most productive, the Y/O CandyCane & then Brass below. Red/Black & Dark Brown below. Then Red or Yellow & Pink below. My color combos change depending upon the day, sunny, cloudy, snow or mixed.

My 4th rod has the Y/O CandyCane on top with a Flutter/Slender spoon 10-12" below. I swap out the different flutter spoons as per my previous pic's and if it's slow I put on good old Vibro that normally gets some attention, they come in for a look, I drop the spoon/vibro to bottom & they normally inhale the W/W above.

I've mentioned this in the past, at times Whites turn away at the last second because they sense or see something they don't like. When I start to see this behavior, I either remove the bottom W/W or tie on a smaller size W/W. As an example instead of a size 8 hook downsize to a size 10 or smaller, sometimes that makes all the difference. When you raise your rod tip & drop it your W/W it now drifts down much slower, give it a try, you will improve your success.

As well, since I started experimenting with glow beads I now put one on all my W/W's, I find they help me see my W/W in Sylvan in 10-14 FOW & the fish see them too, as a result I catch more fish.

Trust this was helpful, wish you all the success this season.

Cheers

D.

California Whites .....