Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 02:23 PM

Strict rules huh. So the guy with a calf and 2 cows in his truck stacked like cord wood and not loaded for easy access to the heads for the bio on the base is sure following the rules. And I was there ! That's the only time I have ever seen the attitudes , moods so angry at check out station ever and I have been here alot. Last 2 nights of first rifle everyone was happy and walking around talking. Not looking for sask plates and then cursing and leaving. Congrats on everyone who hunted this year. It was great seeing lots of kids and wives hunting as well.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
Let's not forget the real reason hunting is allowed on the base. Herd management. So no, I don't feel privileged to hunt it. They need us hunters to control population so the government doesn't have another Suffield on their hands.

I am undecided if I will return. I feel there are better opportunities in other areas of the province and the quality of animals in the base do not warrant the priority points required to draw a tag.
The priority points used for this hunt are their own separate entity. So regardless if it’s a high priority draw, it has no effect on other opportunities.

Herd management is not ensuring you have an opportunity at a trophy. I’m sure they’d be more than pleased if you took two mule deer does instead.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
The priority points used for this hunt are their own separate entity. So regardless if it’s a high priority draw, it has no effect on other opportunities.

Herd management is not ensuring you have an opportunity at a trophy. I’m sure they’d be more than pleased if you took two mule deer does instead.
For deer, not for moose.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:39 PM

My apologies I thought we were discussing the complaint about the 180-200” deer in closed zones.

I agree with you. I wouldn’t use moose priority on the wainwright hunt. Better options for sure.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Strict rules huh. So the guy with a calf and 2 cows in his truck stacked like cord wood and not loaded for easy access to the heads for the bio on the base is sure following the rules. And I was there ! That's the only time I have ever seen the attitudes , moods so angry at check out station ever and I have been here alot. Last 2 nights of first rifle everyone was happy and walking around talking. Not looking for sask plates and then cursing and leaving. Congrats on everyone who hunted this year. It was great seeing lots of kids and wives hunting as well.

If one vehicle had 3 first nations in it they could take 3 moose. I would guess thats the case. They dont hesitate to investigate or charge anyone if rules are broken.

I had some guy blasting a moose on the road 50 feet in front of my truck a couple years back and reported the guy to f&w. The guy and his wife were high fiving as they crossed in front of my truck to tag the moose. They took my complaint very serious and didnt waste anytime to investigate.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Banned

Thanks to the team in charge of this hunt. Once again, it’s a treat to come here. Wainwright will test your skills and abilities. You need to adapt out here. And every day is a new day.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Ditto!
Old 12-05-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
Thanks to the team in charge of this hunt. Once again, it’s a treat to come here. Wainwright will test your skills and abilities. You need to adapt out here. And every day is a new day.
Absolutely! Hats off to them. Congrats on your success dude, was good times shootin the chiit
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM
Banned

It was a great time. As good as it is to be successful, it’s almost more fun meeting new people and working as a team to try and help each other out. I think I was part of about 12-15 animals filling freezer or going up on the walls. That’s what makes me smile
Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 PM

Default Rf#1

Rifle Hunt #1 totals/running totals:

Elk 6/6
Moose 33/57
Deer 72/163

For the data nerds:
Totals:
Elk: 4bulls/2cows
Moose: 17bulls/35cows/5calfs
Deer: 130bucks/33 does or fawns
134 MUDE/29 WTDE

6 days down and 9 days to go!

S
Old 12-05-2018, 08:30 PM

Thanks for posting the totals
Old 12-05-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
This has to be the dumbest thing I’ve read on here in quite some time. You think the military should suspend operations and open up closed off areas because you’ve been waiting a long time to pull the tag? Absolutely ridiculous. Being able to hunt wainwright is a privilege. The fact that the military even allows it is overly generous to begin with. And the military isn’t in business to generate tourism dollars for towns.

We should consider ourselves lucky that we have this extra opportunity outside of the other draws.
It is a privilege but was a little dissapointed with the closures also. Last year way more was open for the three days I was there. Also saw way less deer this year than last year. Also two real nice bull moose.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:25 PM

How much is closed?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:36 AM

I’ve always experienced more closures on the earlier hunts. Not sure if that’s the norm or just luck. The times I’ve gone on the later rifle hunts almost the whole base has been open. Regardless, a tough hunt but always look forward to the next trip back.

Craig
Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
If one vehicle had 3 first nations in it they could take 3 moose. I would guess thats the case. They dont hesitate to investigate or charge anyone if rules are broken.

I had some guy blasting a moose on the road 50 feet in front of my truck a couple years back and reported the guy to f&w. The guy and his wife were high fiving as they crossed in front of my truck to tag the moose. They took my complaint very serious and didnt waste anytime to investigate.
I believe that the harvest restriction is only a recommendation and unenforceable would like to see this confirmed by someone from the base.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 AM

I have hunted the base for moose twice, deer five or six times, and sharptail grouse three times. Yes there have been substantial closures, but I never had a problem finding a place to hunt. The military staff has always been very professional, as has the F&W staff. I have enjoyed my hunts on the base, and I appreciate the opportunity to hunt the base even with the closures and restrictions. Some hunters do act like idiots at times, but the staff is very good at dealing with these people, and resolving any issues promptly.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
I’ve always experienced more closures on the earlier hunts. Not sure if that’s the norm or just luck. The times I’ve gone on the later rifle hunts almost the whole base has been open. Regardless, a tough hunt but always look forward to the next trip back.

Craig
Same here, did the first rifle once 20 yrs back and the base was aprox 50 % closed for training, there were a lot of hunters in a small area that year on the west side. The annex was the saving grace for a place to get away from the crowds. Since then, have always picked the last season and the base is all wide open. But the animals have been chased and makes for a much tougher hunt.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:14 PM

Default camp wainwright 2018

hi Guys , hows the weather n the terrain for the hunt , anything Big taken ? show some pics of ur Camp Trophies , looking forward to it
Old 12-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Can someone take a pic of the map of what is closed?
Please and thanks?
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Please and thanks?
It changes everyday.

LC
Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Please and thanks?
Changes daily
They were firing some rockets the last few days
Hence the larger area off limits
Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Please and thanks?
G1, C1 & C2 closed today. All the E’s opened up today
Old 12-08-2018, 06:05 PM

A big thank-you to the two gents in the white Jeep that we chatted to yesterday at around 4pm down on yellow route. The big bodied moose you told us about was in fact a bull and my buddy sealed the deal. Hope you got your deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 07:18 PM

Default RF #2 totals

RF#2 and running totals:

Deer: 102/265
Moose: 24/81
Elk: 2/8

S

Last edited by shedcrazy; 12-08-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:33 PM

I'm a priority 13 or something what's the odds of seeing a 170+mule deer out there lately thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I'm a priority 13 or something what's the odds of seeing a 170+mule deer out there lately thanks

They are there but not overly common in my experience.

LC
Old 12-08-2018, 11:53 PM

any Big Mulies taken this yr at Camp ? , also whats the Biggest Whitetail taken so far ?
Old 12-09-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Glad we have to wait 11 years for a antlered tag. Especially when there from sask. Congrats on the bull elk.
How did you draw a tag being from Sask?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:02 AM

Old 12-09-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

We saw a 190” class this year still standing.