Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2018, 01:48 PM

Default Newb Boater Lake

hey gang -- hoping to get some advice:

my fiancee and I are buying our first boat (I've previously had boats all through my teen years, but first time as an adult, and first time since I moved to AB 11 years ago...) and I've been thinking about where to go first.

I'd like to go somewhere that's got a decent, easy to traverse launch, is relatively wide open water (no real obstacles, big rocks and stuff to watch out for) and is a productive fishery.

I live south of Red Deer, so anywhere south of Edmonton, basically, is what we're thinking.

What would be your suggestion for a relatively new boater heading out for the first time and wants to do some fishing?
Old 09-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Gull lake but use the boat launch just outside of Bentley. Campground launch water is too low.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Gull lake but use the boat launch just outside of Bentley. Campground launch water is too low.
Right on -- thanks. That's a good suggestion as we've spent a fair bit of time there in the winter...
Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 AM

Full lake has quite a few hidden rocks, Pigeon in my experience is the easiest lake around for not getting in trouble and having a good fishery. Sylvan is also decent.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell_guy View Post
Full lake has quite a few hidden rocks, Pigeon in my experience is the easiest lake around for not getting in trouble and having a good fishery. Sylvan is also decent.
Thanks for the info in this thread, gang. I'm super disappointed because we had a line on an amazing 2012 Alumacraft in Lacombe that was about 5k, but by the time we got our financing in order with RBC, the boat had sold. Sigh. I'll be on the hunt again in the new year for a 16ft 2010-ish Lund or Alumacraft with a 40hp motor in the 5k range....
Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 AM

When you're ready to start shopping again, I can recommend Leisure liquidators out of Winnipeg. They have a yard at Toefield that they will ship to for free. They primarily deal in pontoons, but always have several good used boats ideal for fishing and water sports. It's an older boat, but check out the Stratos on page 4 of their catalogue.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
When you're ready to start shopping again, I can recommend Leisure liquidators out of Winnipeg. They have a yard at Toefield that they will ship to for free. They primarily deal in pontoons, but always have several good used boats ideal for fishing and water sports. It's an older boat, but check out the Stratos on page 4 of their catalogue.
Hey thanks for the info. I'll do some research. I'm actually from Winnipeg area, and am back often. I'm quite prepared to haul a boat back from there, as I'll be spending a lot of time hauling back and forth, I imagine.