Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-24-2013, 04:15 PM

Default Quivers

Anyone use an over the shoulder quiver instead of one attached to the bow? Advantages? Disadvantages?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM

I've used a quicky quiver quick dissconnect on the belt or on the stand.

Do this to keep weight and mass off the bow.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM

I haven't used one but plan to modify my G5 quiver and attach it to my pack like a make shift Cat quiver. If that doesn't work well than I will probably splurge for the Tight spot quiver.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 PM

I have tried many...back, side, pack,...but also do a lot of foot work..to me in the thick stuff they are all a pain in da butt...I prefer the two piece quivers that are lightweight and low profile to the bow...best for balance...then do all my practise for hunting with quiver loaded...works well for myself ...

Neil
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Smile

I've used bow mounted, hip and now the Cat Quiver. For the all around hunter. IMO the over the shoulder quiver is way to go. It's quiet, your bow is lighter (advantage if your crawling), you can drop your pack and just grab your quiver when in the final stretch of a stalk, shall I go on? Check out Rancho Safari.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Started bowhunting big game in '88 with a bow quiver on a compound, thru the years went through hip, back, over the shoulder quivers, both with modern and trad bows, and have come back to bow quivers for both. They all have there advantages and disadvantages, but I think the bow quiver has the fewest cons.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 PM

I haven't hunted with a bow quiver since, well,...I've never and I started hunting in the mid 60's!!
I have a few Traditional back quivers, but really like the Cat Quiver.
Cat
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 AM

I started out with bow quivers on my traditional gar and my compounds but have returned to using back quivers. For wandering around or 3D mathces it is hard to beat a traditional back quiver as they can carry lots of arrows which I seem to need in a 3D shoot. For hunting I use either a mini or a regular cat quiver depending on how I am hunting that day
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM

Art Vincent / Cedar Ridge leather works are what I use.
http://archeryleather.com/

Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM

Agree hip quivers r allways hung up in something in the bush bow quiver all the way for me i like the tight spot quiver carbon light tightest fit in line with the bow no canting
Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 AM

They are heavy when attached to a bow. Not talking heavy as in holding a bow in a stand heavy. Heavy as in walking with your bow all day heavy. You'll know after you try it. I take my bow mounted quiver off my bow and attach it to my back pack....have one arrow out to get a quick shot off. In a tree stand the quiver hangs from a screw in hangar. I don't practice with a quiver on my bow because I don't hunt with my quiver on my bow.

A true story..........stumbled across a bull moose while still hunting (bored sitting in the stand), I shot low underneath of him by a good margin. Frantically, grabbing for my back pack buckles to get the pack off and get another arrow from the quiver, the bull calmly waited for this all to transpire. Finally, second arrow knocked, bull framed in my sight window, the second arrow sent on it's way, hit where the first arrow should have. Anyway, all this to say, you're probably right to expect only one shot, if any, before an animal sees you or is startled by a near miss and runs off. Two shots at the same animal is unlikely. It was my luck day.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
They are heavy when attached to a bow. Not talking heavy as in holding a bow in a stand heavy. Heavy as in walking with your bow all day heavy. You'll know after you try it. I take my bow mounted quiver off my bow and attach it to my back pack....have one arrow out to get a quick shot off. In a tree stand the quiver hangs from a screw in hangar. I don't practice with a quiver on my bow because I don't hunt with my quiver on my bow.

A true story..........stumbled across a bull moose while still hunting (bored sitting in the stand), I shot low underneath of him by a good margin. Frantically, grabbing for my back pack buckles to get the pack off and get another arrow from the quiver, the bull calmly waited for this all to transpire. Finally, second arrow knocked, bull framed in my sight window, the second arrow sent on it's way, hit where the first arrow should have. Anyway, all this to say, you're probably right to expect only one shot, if any, before an animal sees you or is startled by a near miss and runs off. Two shots at the same animal is unlikely. It was my luck day.
thats what the Primos Bog sling solves...its outstanding We will walk anywhere from up to 10-12 miles on an average day taking elk for a walk ...lol

comfortable..hands free for everything like calling,

wouldnt leave the vehicle without one..

Neil
Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM

I prefer the two piece side quivers so the arrows are right in front of you and easily accessible from any place to get ready to take aim and bring down some big game.