Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Default Dumb things we've seen

I thought posting a thread about missfires and booboo's just may be a learning experience for all of us. Sometimes we need to be reminded so as not to get complacent!

A few years back hunting with a companion, we got in his pickup and left the field we were hunting. He forgot to unload his rifle(LIVE ROUND IN CHAMBER), for some reason when he remembered he reached down and pulled the trigger. You guessed it death to 350 engine by 300 Weatherby( See Cooter they can kill. lol) Awfull hard on the ears ,damn luck he didn't blow his foot off.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM

i herd about a guy back in my home town a few years back that was lifing his gun up into his tree blind by rope loaded and it went off and shot a hole through the bill of his hat
Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I thought posting a thread about missfires and booboo's just may be a learning experience for all of us. Sometimes we need to be reminded so as not to get complacent!

A few years back hunting with a companion, we got in his pickup and left the field we were hunting. He forgot to unload his rifle(LIVE ROUND IN CHAMBER), for some reason when he remembered he reached down and pulled the trigger. You guessed it death to 350 engine by 300 Weatherby( See Cooter they can kill. lol) Awfull hard on the ears ,damn luck he didn't blow his foot off.
One of my buddies has a Bro in law that did the same thing to his Chev diesel. with a 358win BLR!
Took two teeth out of the ring gear - luckily no one was hurt!
Cat
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM

My dad knew a fish cop, who was pulling a truck load of guys over one day. Suddenly there was a thud, and the whole cab went brown. Doors flew open and they all fell out, rolling around on the ground holding their heads. One of them had his gun loaded, and when the fish cop went to pull them over, he rushed unloading his gun, it went off, all the dirt an dust under the floor matts filled the cab with a nice thick cloud!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM

A certain someone grabbed his favourite gun with two sets of barrels in its fitted case to do some partridge hunting with a pal one day.
They roar out to the bush, he gets out, and DANG!!!
Can't remember the combination to the fancy three lock case!!
Anybody wanna hazard a guess at just how hard it is to get a set of three matched locks for an Italian shotgun case after they've been "jimmied" with a Multi tool?
Cat
Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 PM

Another dude I know was scoping a coyote across the box of a pick up truck. When he touched her off he blew a hole in the side of the box opposite him. I guess he forgot his scope was an inch or 2 higher than his barrel!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Another dude I know was scoping a coyote across the box of a pick up truck. When he touched her off he blew a hole in the side of the box opposite him. I guess he forgot his scope was an inch or 2 higher than his barrel!
i know of 6 different guys that have that same story only on the hood and almost myself included i had 3 powder burn marks on my white hood from shooting at a running coyote across a field
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 PM

I hope I never, ever have anything to add to this thread.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Banned

when i was in high school i was sort of friends with a guy in a couple classes. i didnt know him real well, but he talked a lot about hunting and asked me to go with him. when he mentioned his sister was dating a guy who doesnt allow many guys to hunt, but he could get us in i agreed. new hunting partner...new piece of land to hunt...i was eager to try. well...on the way out we saw a group of deer standing in a field. i stopped to put up the spotting scope and saw there was a nice buck in the group. well, nice is relative...he was like 130 or so. anyway, as im looking through the spotter, the ******* points his gun out my drivers window from his passenger side. im focused on the deer, so have no idea whats coming. KAAAABOOOOOOOM!!!!! the ******* shot out my window from his side of the truck. without even thinking about it i made a fist and smashed him in the face backhanded. i have no idea what he was saying due to the ringing in my ears, but i told him shut the eff up and dont you dare bleed on my seat or ill kick you out to walk home. i turned the truck around and drove him straight to his house. not only did i never hunt with him again, i ended any thought of friendship. some guys say i should have called the fish cops too, but i think the broken nose was a quicker and more painful blow than they would have likely given him.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
I hope I never, ever have anything to add to this thread.
If you think hard, you can likely find something!
Cat
Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
when i was in high school i was sort of friends with a guy in a couple classes. i didnt know him real well, but he talked a lot about hunting and asked me to go with him. when he mentioned his sister was dating a guy who doesnt allow many guys to hunt, but he could get us in i agreed. new hunting partner...new piece of land to hunt...i was eager to try. well...on the way out we saw a group of deer standing in a field. i stopped to put up the spotting scope and saw there was a nice buck in the group. well, nice is relative...he was like 130 or so. anyway, as im looking through the spotter, the ******* points his gun out my drivers window from his passenger side. im focused on the deer, so have no idea whats coming. KAAAABOOOOOOOM!!!!! the ******* shot out my window from his side of the truck. without even thinking about it i made a fist and smashed him in the face backhanded. i have no idea what he was saying due to the ringing in my ears, but i told him shut the eff up and dont you dare bleed on my seat or ill kick you out to walk home. i turned the truck around and drove him straight to his house. not only did i never hunt with him again, i ended any thought of friendship. some guys say i should have called the fish cops too, but i think the broken nose was a quicker and more painful blow than they would have likely given him.
Did he get the deer?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:42 AM

My mom bought my dad a 30-06 Rem semi auto for Fathers Day.

We got stopped by F&G.

At that time, it was legal to have a loaded mag in the rifle.

The officer asked dad if he had a round in the chamber.

Dad said no.

The officer pulled back the slide, looked, saw nothing, and let the slide slam forward.

Dad said "now there is one in the chamber"

The officer said "no there isn't"

Dad took the rifle, pointed it into the ditch and fired the gun, took the mag out, unloaded the rifle and gave the officer a demo on these "new" semi autos......

The officer had never seen one.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:

I guess I stand corrected
Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 AM

I drove into work one morning just the time a buddy/coworked had pulled in. I pulled in beside him and noticed a hole in his driver's side door. I said, dude, that looks like a bullet hole. What happened. Well, he had been out hunting on the weekend in the rain. It was cold and wet in late October. After his walk, he decided to get into his truck to unload his 30-30 Winchester 94. Apparently his finger made it to the trigger as he closed the action and BOOM! There goes the inside door handle and a nice big hole.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 AM

was going out calling coyotes with my brother in law. On the way to where we were going a coyote ran across the road infront of us. Stopped the truck, bailed out, through the ditch and onto the edge of the field. Lay down get the gun up, load a round, coyote into scope, reach for trigger and...WT?, trigger lock still on, key back home in my gun box!!! So then angry I go back to the truck and figure I'll just be the guy running the shotgun if anything is so silly as to come in close enough, no trigger lock on it. But sure enough it's a rem 870 with the locking safety, which the tool for was also back home. So I ended up running the binos as my brother in law and another friend shot coyotes.

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-31-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 AM

Default oops!

I was hunting with a couple of friends, who also had a couple of friends from the city. We were hunting whitetails when we spotted nice size buck. One of the friends' friend got out and shot at the buck. Poof! That was the strangest sound I ever heard a rifle make. I asked him what he was shooting and he said a Tikka .270 Win. I asked to see the shell and he jacked the cartridge out of the chamber and gave it to me. I looked at the case and saw it said .308. It was a straight wall .308 now. I told him what I found and he turned instant white and started shaking. He grabbed the wrong box of shells when he left home.I didn't know a .308 would fit thru a .270 . I checked the rifle over and it was fine. Thank God for Tikka bolt action rifles. He was pretty screwed up for the rest of the day. By the way ... he missed the buck.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM

-30-30's fired in a 303Brit.
-243Win fired in a 7mm Rem Mag, (claw extractor)
-Trigger locks and no keys in the goose blind (Swiss army knife removal used)
-Scopes mounted backwards
-Bullets seated too long, and the resultant stuck in the chamber, can't close the bolt can't eject the round while out hunting.
-Buddy down range running 10yds to the side of the target while the shot gets taken, then running over and calling the shot placement(both no longer belong to our range)
-3" shells fired in a 2-3/4" chamber, and wondering why the action sticks and the pump is hard to work.

....and we wonder where that great big brush comes from.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Myself and some friends were laying in in our blinds getting ready to smash some geese, the geese are about 40 yards out and BOOM! One of the guys (remaining nameless) blew a hole in his new lay down blind. Scared the crap outta me because we were about to pop up and take em, and a friend of a friend new to waterfowl hunting blew a hole in his new hitman blind. Couple quick lessons on how to operate a Mossberg 500 and back to calling. He never came out with us again.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 PM

Default .270

Was unloading my .270 with the spring & trapdoor syle magazine in the dark on a snowey backroad when I got back to my truck at the end of the day. As I didn't want to spring the trap door and drop some shells in the snow...I decised to repeat the cartridges out one by one....one when BOOM! Unsure why.

Luckily I had it pointed safely and missed my foot by about two feet. The bolt slammed into the tip of my thumb so hard I needed a time out. Blood blister lasted for a month.

Now I have a detachable clip installed and had the trigger checked.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM

This one happened to me! Inherited a beautiful pre 64 model 70 from an uncles estate. Barrel stamped 30 gov 06. Grabbed a couple 30-06 rounds, lined up on a target and touched her off. After the smoke cleared and I had time to assess all the area's I was leaking from(damn lucky I had glasses on), kicked out the empty brass and man was it blown out good. Micrometer'd the remnants of the case and discovered it resembled a 308 Norma Magnum. (test fired 308 norma,gun is fine)Some retarted SOB that rechambered the gun didn't have sense to restamp the barrelTook me a couple years to get over flinching after that. As I said in another thread , "couldn't even shoot a pellet gun with out flinching"
Old 03-30-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
-30-30's fired in a 303Brit.
-243Win fired in a 7mm Rem Mag, (claw extractor)
-Trigger locks and no keys in the goose blind (Swiss army knife removal used)
-Scopes mounted backwards
-Bullets seated too long, and the resultant stuck in the chamber, can't close the bolt can't eject the round while out hunting.
-Buddy down range running 10yds to the side of the target while the shot gets taken, then running over and calling the shot placement(both no longer belong to our range)
-3" shells fired in a 2-3/4" chamber, and wondering why the action sticks and the pump is hard to work.

....and we wonder where that great big brush comes from.
lol...i showed you #5 blown up gun last time you came to the shop didnt i?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET1 View Post
i know of 6 different guys that have that same story only on the hood and almost myself included i had 3 powder burn marks on my white hood from shooting at a running coyote across a field
Shooting gophers last year I did the same thing to the drivers side mirror. Instead of bang splat it was bang tinkle. My wife got a great charge out of that one and laughed for days.

Last edited by Roughneck12; 03-31-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster777 View Post
Was unloading my .270 with the spring & trapdoor syle magazine in the dark on a snowey backroad when I got back to my truck at the end of the day. As I didn't want to spring the trap door and drop some shells in the snow...I decised to repeat the cartridges out one by one....one when BOOM! Unsure why.

Luckily I had it pointed safely and missed my foot by about two feet. The bolt slammed into the tip of my thumb so hard I needed a time out. Blood blister lasted for a month.

Now I have a detachable clip installed and had the trigger checked.

So why were you closing the bolt, even part way?

You were the architec of your own misfortune.

This works just as well.

Another broad stoke with that big brush applied.

There are no absolutes