Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 08:35 PM

Default A question for plumbers

I was looking for a way to connect a hand held shower to the bathtub faucet.
Home Despot doesn't have the right fittings and I'm not even sure they exist. I'm sure there's a way but not sure where to get the pieces.
What I'd like to do is to remove the aerator from the end of the tap and attach a diverter to a hose connected to the hand held shower head.
The tap has the regular fine threads on the end once the aerator is removed but I can't find a diverter with the same threads on the input end.
The wife has been using one of those hand held units that slip over the end of the tap but it isn't ideal and rather inconvenient.

My question is, do any of you know where I might obtain such a fitting(s)?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:10 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...E6MSVKSSNNPDCX

Grizz
Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I was looking for a way to connect a hand held shower to the bathtub faucet.
Home Despot doesn't have the right fittings and I'm not even sure they exist. I'm sure there's a way but not sure where to get the pieces.
What I'd like to do is to remove the aerator from the end of the tap and attach a diverter to a hose connected to the hand held shower head.
The tap has the regular fine threads on the end once the aerator is removed but I can't find a diverter with the same threads on the input end.
The wife has been using one of those hand held units that slip over the end of the tap but it isn't ideal and rather inconvenient.

My question is, do any of you know where I might obtain such a fitting(s)?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.a...000811506.html
Old 02-18-2019, 09:30 PM

I'm no plumber by any means but I installed a tub surround and put in a shower using a fawcet similar to the one the Amazon link. I got all of the parts from Home Depot. You just need to unthread the old fawcett and thread the new one on. If I had to guess I would say it was 1/2' NPT.

In my case the nipple came out with the old Fawcett and was a bit of a job to remove as I didn't have another and needed it for the new setup.

In my case it was a pretty simple job.

This was in a 100 year old farm house.

There was no aerator on my old fawcet, nor was their one on the new one or any other tub I've ever had that I can recall.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:02 PM

Post a photo of your current tub spout. You noted a fine thread so I'm betting its an older unit as the 1/2" NPT by fine-thread spout nipples are purely retro, nothing new uses that configuration.

Pick up a 1/2" Copper x male adapter and solder it to about 9" of copper tubing. Unscrew the existing spout nipple and screw in the new assembly after wrapping the threads with a few rounds of Teflon tape. If you can reach the hex on the copper x male adapter then tighten it there, if not, use some channel lock pliers to tighten it from the very end of the 9" pipe and trim off what was mangled with tubing cutters (I noted to make it 9" so that you had 3" to 4" extra tubing to spare for this specific purpose).

Pick up a slip-on tub spout with diverter to install. They slide over the pipe and lock in place by tightening with an Allen wrench, be sure to get it level because you'll notice it when bathing. I'll usually dress the end of the tubing with some sand cloth to remove sharp edges so the O-ring can't get cut when installing the spout. Slip-on spouts are better than the old threaded ones because you'll never wind up with gap or it being too tight.

Select a slip-on spout like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.d...001031133.html

I interpreted that the OP probably has one like this: http://www.lyncar.com/plumbing/index...oducts_id=1721

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-18-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Post a photo of your current tub spout. You noted a fine thread so I'm betting its an older unit as the 1/2" NPT by fine-thread spout nipples are purely retro, nothing new uses that configuration.

Pick up a 1/2" Copper x male adapter and solder it to about 9" of copper tubing. Unscrew the existing spout nipple and screw in the new assembly after wrapping the threads with a few rounds of Teflon tape. If you can reach the hex on the copper x male adapter then tighten it there, if not, use some channel lock pliers to tighten it from the very end of the 9" pipe and trim off what was mangled with tubing cutters (I noted to make it 9" so that you had 3" to 4" extra tubing to spare for this specific purpose).

Pick up a slip-on tub spout with diverter to install. They slide over the pipe and lock in place by tightening with an Allen wrench, be sure to get it level because you'll notice it when bathing. I'll usually dress the end of the tubing with some sand cloth to remove sharp edges so the O-ring can't get cut when installing the spout. Slip-on spouts are better than the old threaded ones because you'll never wind up with gap or it being too tight.

Select a slip-on spout like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.d...001031133.html

I interpreted that the OP probably has one like this: http://www.lyncar.com/plumbing/index...oducts_id=1721
I was hoping you'd chime in but didn't wanna ask you directly.
Here's a few pics I just took. It's a new faucet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tub.jpg (24.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg tub2.jpg (22.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg tub3.jpg (22.9 KB, 36 views)