Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 PM

Default Joussard or Canyon Creek ? - Lesser Slave Lake

Planing a trip to Lesser Slave Lake first week in March. Hopefully by then the fishing will turn around. Question is , Joussard or Canyon Creek? Which area would you fish? Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by Jawjacker; 02-03-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:41 AM

Joussard has always been slow fishing for me in the winter if those are the options your looking at I’d head to canyon.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 AM

Both can be great and both can be slow. Best to get reports right before you head up and see where it’s happening. Also it’s only a short jaunt from one to the other, so you can always hit them both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2019, 11:29 AM

Hard to tell which will be best on a year like this. Too early to decide, things are supposed to pick up at Canyon Creek in February, time will tell.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:24 PM

We just spent this last weekend at a cabin at Canyon Creek (yes it was brutally cold!). Between the four of us and about 10 others in the other cabins over two days, there was I think ONE burbot landed. We saw some fish on the camera but almost all of them were just slowly cruising and not interested in anything at all we were offering. Might be the cold spell but we did hear that the fishing was slow the previous week too.

Maybe a warm sunny spell might bring them active again later in the month. The other problem right now is that the snow buried the lake with about 1-2 feet of snow, so you'll either need a sled or a truck with really good clearance to get anywhere off the packed down trail.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Slow fishing seems to be Alberta wide. I heard a rumor it was do the late freeze that initiated a Shrimp and Sand Beetle surplus . The fish have plenty to eat . That's fishing. Tight lines.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM

Went out last weekend and caught three lakers in under a hour, no one else on the lake. I don't think it is slow this time a year, just a little chilly on the eye balls.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlatvian View Post
Went out last weekend and caught three lakers in under a hour, no one else on the lake. I don't think it is slow this time a year, just a little chilly on the eye balls.
Does Lesser Slave have lakers? Never heard of them being there. Doesn’t even show them in the Regs
Old 02-05-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Does Lesser Slave have lakers? Never heard of them being there. Doesn’t even show them in the Regs

Not since the 40s

Old 02-05-2019, 11:32 PM

Has anyone done well at Slave this Ice Fishing season ? Or is the best yet to come !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Oh sorry wasn't at lesser slave was at spray I was just commenting on the bite cycle -- thought you guys were talking lunar.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Slow fishing seems to be Alberta wide. I heard a rumor it was do the late freeze that initiated a Shrimp and Sand Beetle surplus . The fish have plenty to eat . That's fishing. Tight lines.
That actually makes sense, at night there were what seemed to be millions of shrimp in the water. If I was a fish, I would just glide through the water with my mouth open and eat, no need to chase anything.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Default Warning!!!

Warning fishing is slow again this weekend at Canyon Creek. First year the shack has been placed there and it has not been impressive. Have had better luck at Driftpile, I sure hope it picks up. You know fishing is slow when you get excited to catch a legal pike and two burbot after a day of fishing on Slave. Still better than working.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Warning fishing is slow again this weekend at Canyon Creek. First year the shack has been placed there and it has not been impressive. Have had better luck at Driftpile, I sure hope it picks up. You know fishing is slow when you get excited to catch a legal pike and two burbot after a day of fishing on Slave. Still better than working.
I was hoping by now the fishing would of turned around. Slave lake is having a rough one.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:44 AM

Headed up to Canyon Creek again. Any reports if the fishing has picked up. Thanks in advance. Dogfish
Old 02-16-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Headed up to Canyon Creek again. Any reports if the fishing has picked up. Thanks in advance. Dogfish
How’s the fishing so far DOGFISH?
Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 PM

Our whole group limited on walleye on the West side on Thursday/Friday. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51927991_10161518198595445_8101307351123886080_n.jpg (74.2 KB, 215 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 06:03 AM

Anyone getting steady ling’er action yet?

Old 02-17-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Our whole group limited on walleye on the West side on Thursday/Friday. :-)
Nice looking Walleye Timsesink.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartly View Post
How’s the fishing so far DOGFISH?
Still poor at best. Not even seeing much on the flasher at night or the camera during the day. Ice was noisey last night and hopefully stirs things up a bit. Dogfish
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Still poor at best. Not even seeing much on the flasher at night or the camera during the day. Ice was noisey last night and hopefully stirs things up a bit. Dogfish
Sorry to hear that DOGFISH. I was hoping the fishing by now would of gotten better. Were you at Canyon?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:50 AM

Yes @ Canyon for 3 days. Did not get tired from hauling fish in that's for sure. Still had a great time but it was more like winter camping not ice fishing. Did not look like many being caught as even the Ravens were not flying around looking for a free meal.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 PM

Looking for fishing reports on Canyon Creek lately. Has been really slow so far and are headed up next Monday. Looking for any info on the area. Thanks Dogfish
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Looking for fishing reports on Canyon Creek lately. Has been really slow so far and are headed up next Monday. Looking for any info on the area. Thanks Dogfish
Would like to know also. Heading out the last weekend of the season.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Last weekend as in end of March? you may be lucky if there is no flood water. All it takes are a couple of warm days and the top layers of snow to melt and you get 3-4 inches of slush soup on top of the ice and thats it for Ice fishing. Im planning on heading that way on the 15th and thats pushing it.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Was out on the lake on the cabin side of Hilliards Bay, spent Mon-wed in a shack there and was slow going, we caught a few small pike and a walleye between 4 of us for 2.5 days fishing, in about 25' FOW. Not exactly a lot of action but the beer was cold and the camera showed there was lots of movement and fish down there.

Saw burbot, walleye, jack and a few whitefish cruising around... in a few months it'll be hopping for sure.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:26 AM

Default Yes, but it really depends on the year..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Last weekend as in end of March? you may be lucky if there is no flood water. All it takes are a couple of warm days and the top layers of snow to melt and you get 3-4 inches of slush soup on top of the ice and thats it for Ice fishing. Im planning on heading that way on the 15th and thats pushing it.
We pulled onto the ice March 30 last year it was -29. There wasn't any slush or water.

Every year is different.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:03 PM

Doesn't sound like many fish being caught or seen at Canyon Creek?????
Old 03-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Any updates on fishing conditions near the narrows or Canyon creek? What do you guys think about ice conditions for next weekend? Think it will be manageable? supposed to head up next friday but with the warm weather im worried about it being too wet. What do you guys think?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Can anyone provide an update on how truck access is and if fishing action has picked up yet for Canyon Creek/Narrows/Joussard areas, thanks.