Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 07:04 AM

So what's a good one to buy?, and do u need a vaccum sealer or is there plastic bags you can use? Maybe a dumb question but I've never seen one used before.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
So what's a good one to buy?, and do u need a vaccum sealer or is there plastic bags you can use? Maybe a dumb question but I've never seen one used before.
Anova is a good and cost effective one. You don't need a vacuum sealer. You can use food safe zip tops and displace the air by slowly lowering the bag into the water before zipping it. The Polyscience like mine is a more robust unit but costs quite a bit more. Check out the "Sous vide everything" site as a good start.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
I bought one during their Black Friday sale. I have used it a couple of times with excellent results, but I mainly bought it as a way to re-heat BBQ. Apparently you can load up the smoker, freeze the leftovers, and suos vide to re-heat and get food that would be as good as the day it was made. I am a single guy, so I like the idea of not having to run the smoker for hours and hours to make myself 1 meal.
hmm. got me thinking now...
Old 02-18-2019, 04:49 PM

I just got an ANOVA. Super happy with it. Words don't describe how delicious, tender, and evenly cooked it makes game. Here is what was a tough moose roast. 4 hours at 130f. Salt, pepper, and butter in the bag, then seared in hot pan. Delicious.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2019, 07:34 AM

We have the Sansaire. Its a little more pricey than some, works great.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:52 PM

I have been using a sous vide to cook just about all of our meat the past few years. Its the only way to go and anyone who would argue differently has no idea what they are missing. Putting a roast in a slow cooker would be considered an abomination in our house now.

Deer, duck, sharptail, elk and moose at 130-135F perfect every time. Tender cuts keep your cooks short and tough cuts up to 36 hours will make any tough cut tender. Can be used in conjunction with a pellet smoker or amazen smoker tube to make some pretty unreal bbq as well without compromising moisture for tenderness.

Also works good as a defroster. This year we pre seasoned our steaks and roasts so they can go right in the water bath out of the freezer.

Beef hamburgers cooked at 130F before you throw them on the grill to sear are awesome too.

Anyway needless to say I'm pretty passionate about my sous vide. If you don't own one you are missing out.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:50 PM

Yup. There's a reason restaurants and in particular, higher end restaurants, have been doing it for years.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:52 PM

This is the best way ,in my opinion , to cook wild game ... so juicy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 PM

Sns that's the one we bought too. We've done steak, chicken breasts, tiny potatoes etc. All turned out great. The potatoes were fantastic done in butter and spiced with herb and garlic. Wanting to try a dessert in small mason jars next. Also going to buy a small cooler ( 24 can or so) and drill a hole in it for the sous vide. No heat loss or water loss due to evaporation on long cook times. One secret is let the meat cool 10 minutes before you sear it, you get a better sear that way.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:39 AM

My concern is heating plastic in contact with food. I heard you can sous vide in glass containers; has anyone tried that? What containers you guys use and where to get them from?
Old 02-20-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemoss View Post
My concern is heating plastic in contact with food. I heard you can sous vide in glass containers; has anyone tried that? What containers you guys use and where to get them from?
Gonna be a lot of things kill you before that plastic bag. Sous vide is not new, and I think I read that at the lower temps used it is not an issue. I may be wrong.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Gonna be a lot of things kill you before that plastic bag. Sous vide is not new, and I think I read that at the lower temps used it is not an issue. I may be wrong.
You're correct. Food safe plastic bags are not an issue at sous vide temps. I can't see how glass would work as air is an insulator and it would be tough to fill the space and eliminate the air in a container unless you're compacting something in there? Meatloaf anyone?