Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 08:46 PM

Default Traveling to Mexico and Dominican Republic

So just a question for those of you that have traveled to Mexico, Dominican or other tropical countries do you use your bank / credit card or cash and if you take cash obviously it’s in your carry on, have you ever had your bag searched and have they ever taken any of it. Myself I usually take some American cash with me and have it in my carry on I have been fortunate enough that I’ve never had my stuff searched in 8 trips ( probably just jinxed myself) my sons was last year he brought play dough and they didn’t like what they saw in X-ray and searched everything of his lol I made him throw it away for the flight back, don’t get me wrong I feel safe traveling and don’t think these people are all crooks but you do here the stories and this years vacation to DR is my first in 9 years just used to Mexico I guess and feeling out of my element, thank you for any replies
Old 02-17-2019, 09:27 PM

I would plan on taking a few hundred bucks in American $$ but other than that, credit card is the best for merchant/retailer transactions as the charges are solely based on current exchange rates. Don't use foreign ATM's or there's a chance you will get hosed on fees, unless you can find a Scotiabank in DR (there are quite a few there now.) For example, my buddy took out $200 at a resort ATM in Mexico and was charged $22 in ATM fees.

I wouldn't worry about carrying currency on your person, as you are legally permitted to carry quite a sum across most borders. That said, carrying too much cash invites potential problems.

For the most part, you will be all good in Mexico and DR.

Yeah, playdough isn't the smartest thing to bring with you on a flight, given its density similarity to plastique explosives on a security x-ray
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 PM

I took all American cash to PV last January thinking it was like when I went to cancun a few years ago. I had to switch it over to pesos down there at a cost most places didn’t take American funds. My experience anyways
Old 02-17-2019, 09:48 PM

When I go to DR, I bring some CAD in cash, some pesos which I buy in ICE Canada here and if I need more cash I withdraw it from ATM at Scotia Bank there (they have Scotia Bank branches there). They also accept credit cards almost everywhere.

Sometimes they X-ray my luggage, sometimes they don't. But I have never been searched.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:21 PM

I travel often to Mexico and go places where the economy is "cash only" based. I always bring pesos with me, kinda anticipating how much I am going to need, then I can always withdraw more using my debit if I have to. For that I'd go to a bank, avoid ATM's at resorts, convenience stores etc., for one: the banks charge a low $2-3 ATM fee and non bank ATM's are often hacked to fish for your PIN and banking info.
I see tourists tipping or paying with US dollars, I'd advice against it. Paying with dollars you'll end up overpaying, either getting the "tourist discount" or a lower exchange rate. The locals will also have their share of inconveniences trying to exchange the dollars at their local bank or exchange kiosk, seen it with my own eyes.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atex View Post
I travel often to Mexico and go places where the economy is "cash only" based. I always bring pesos with me, kinda anticipating how much I am going to need, then I can always withdraw more using my debit if I have to. For that I'd go to a bank, avoid ATM's at resorts, convenience stores etc., for one: the banks charge a low $2-3 ATM fee and non bank ATM's are often hacked to fish for your PIN and banking info.
I see tourists tipping or paying with US dollars, I'd advice against it. Paying with dollars you'll end up overpaying, either getting the "tourist discount" or a lower exchange rate. The locals will also have their share of inconveniences trying to exchange the dollars at their local bank or exchange kiosk, seen it with my own eyes.
X2. We’ve been to Mexico a dozen times and never take USD. It’s always MEX for the reasons stated above. We spend the currency of the country we’re visiting.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 AM

Default Cdn

Here in ixtapa Mexico some people take Canadian. Reason being they know it’s not US laundered currency. BEL0
Old 02-18-2019, 07:41 AM
Banned

we usually try to have enough cash to pay for day to day stuff.

last time we were in mexico, i used my credit card in the airport (the only place i used it during the trip), and when we got home, we started getting bills from flower shops in california, pizza joints in miami, and a couple others i can't remember.

credit card outfit took care of it, but it makes me a little cautious about using it instead of cash.....guess it could happen anywhere though.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Banned

For Mexico purchase a small amount of peso prior to leaving Canada.

Use your atm card at Banks, There are numerous Scotia Bank locations as well.

Often resorts will exchange Canadain to pesos at a decent rate.

IF you choice to use US currency (not sure why your not in the US ) You pay extra to purchase the US funds and the locals will up charge you as well.

In 20 years I've never had a Mexican refuse pesos.

It's basically cash only off the resorts.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 AM

When using your credit card In Mexico and elsewhere, you are often given the choice of paying in pesos or in USD. Choose pesos - if you choose USD you'll be paying currency conversion fees from pesos to USD, and then again from USD to Canadian dollars.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:52 AM

Having just been to Mexico and took USD, I wish i had taken Pesos as by the time you convert CAD to USD and then to Peso's it would have been way cheaper to go CAD to Pesos. I could have saved about 8% that way, not mention the points they take each time you convert. Never again am I taking anything but the currency of that country. Lesson learned.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Canadian & pesos

we have been to Puerta Vallarta three times in the last year or so
we get our bank to bring in about $500.00 in Canadian changed to
peso,s they debit my account & we pick it up at the branch
we usually take about $1000.00 Canadian in cash for the big ticket items
i.e. fishing & excursions.usually these are listed in u.s. funds but they don't
want u.s. as others have said. we pay for fishing trips etc
in Canadian they will give you the price in Canadian funds as well as
some of the restarants etc if you ask.
at our resort rui Vallarta the exchange for pesos from Canadian is pretty
good. rate is posted at the desk every day as it changes.
we don't book with the tour companys like sunwing etc as you can get cheaper
if you check with some locals. everyone has a buddy or cousin. lol
have got our fishing down to $300.00 Canadian for 4 for four hours.
pretty cheao i.m.o. have seen whales sea turtles dolphins manta rays etc
& caught some fish. lol
going back in three weeks to get out of this crap for a week
any other questions feel free to p.m. me

Orv
Old 02-18-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atex View Post
I can always withdraw more using my debit if I have to. For that I'd go to a bank, avoid ATM's at resorts, convenience stores etc., for one: the banks charge a low $2-3 ATM fee and non bank ATM's are often hacked to fish for your PIN and banking info.
Also banks ATM have higher withdrawal limit: 10k DOP in bank (about 270CAD) and 2k DOP (about 55CAD) in regular ATM. And they usually have a security guard carrying a pump shotgun at the bank. That was in Puerto Plata in DR.

Never change money at the airport - that is the worse rate and they do double change - from CAD to USD and then from USD to DOP.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Been to Mexico many times, we usually bring about $400 pesos that we order at our bank.
At least we have some cash for the first few days. For the rest we use our MasterCard as much as we can, we do use bank machine like the Bankcomer or Scotiabank.
Find from your bank what Mexican banks affiliated with your bank.
Also take out bigger amounts so you pay the bank fee only once. Put the extra cash in your safe in your room.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:10 PM
Banned

cheapest exchange rate is actually at the atms in mexico. I use my Scotia card at a Scotia atm and its significantly cheaper then any exchange option in canada.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 AM

We picked up a no international fee credit card (Scotiabank Passport) which can also save some dollars. Most credit cards charge between 2.5 and 4% fees when making purchases in foreign currency. We also get 6 free airport lounge passes per year with this card
Old 02-19-2019, 10:38 AM

We always take around $1000 in US cash beside our credit cards. Depending where I go and how safe I feel I may get the countries currency from an exchange before I head there, this is typically more expensive.

money aside, don't go to the DR the only thing separating it from Haiti is a chain link fence.

Sorry for the derail.