Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 07:17 AM

Default End a season and begin another like a shot!

I'm having an awesome ice fishing season so far. At the end of the ice season, my wife has booked me on a salt water fly fishing trip. We leave April 1st, no foolin'
I'll probably ice fish on March 31st
But what a way to kick off open water season!

We are headed for a 3 day trip to Bair's lodge on South Andros, Bahamas. Apparently bone fishing capital of the world. First time for me doing true salt water fly fishing.

You can rent their gear for $250 which I'm seriously considering. I do have a 10wt, my wife's 8 wt and my 7 wt. All 9 footers. Really, none have large arbor reels. The 10wt needs new line as well.

Correction, I do have one that is large arbor that is an empty reel. It is a Cabelas RLS for 9/10 wt. I have a nice 12.5 foot double spey rod that I planned to pair with it and get into West coast steel head and salmon fishing. Of course I could use the reel and get it spooled on the 10wt. Seems like maybe too much bother though for a first time trip for bone fishing and the like. At least the rentals are all sage rods and orvis reels.

Anyone here that has done some bone fishing and what is your preferred rod/reel combo?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:07 PM

7/8 is more than enough for bonefish I have even caught them on a 6wt. Smaller 1-2 lb ones my one guide says he uses a 4wt bamboo when it’s really calm!The biggest challenge is having a rod that will cast into a headwind/crosswind. You have probably thrown bigger flies for trout compared to what you will be casting for bones. If you are fishing for both bonefish and possible permit a 8/9 is better!
Old 01-28-2019, 12:29 PM

Thanks Maxwell.

They claim to have much bigger Bonefish but you know how that is.... "the big ones were here the week before, you should have been here..."

Punching through the wind has been mentioned in my reading as well so I'll go by that more than fish size.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:55 AM

I would probably bring what you have (8wt and 7wt) and still likely rent what they have. I would think a lodge in South Andros likely has decent mid-range outfits for their rentals. That might also give you an idea on what you like/don't like if you take to the salt.

I have been watching this thread thinking there would have been more responses. I have been kicking tires on an 8wt outfit for my occasional salt water fishing.

Good luck. Let us know how you did. Post a few pics when you return.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:04 AM

I’m sure the Bahamas is larger bones but fishundrr 10 lb are what bigger bones are the 6wt I used did handle 5 lb fish just fine. Forsurenif in doubt bring the 8 vs 7 but I wouldn’t stress about it to much! There are a few well priced 9/10 er rods on the market to Wich could double as a big pike rod, salmon and smaller tarpon
Old 01-29-2019, 12:39 PM

Thanks guys. Good advice. I think I'll bring a setup along and rent their setups as primary on the boat. Maybe use mine for my own wet wading the flats

For sure I will post up a report and pics when I'm back.

Good times ahead!
Old 02-01-2019, 12:08 PM

Thumbs up Bones

Take an 8wt with you as you will likely have a chance at larger Bones particularly if they take you over to the west side. Put your RLS on your wifes 8wt and see how it balances.....an 8wt is a good all-round choice for Bones as it can get windy for days at a time down there. I have used as light as a 6wt for bones but that was in Belize and Ascension where they run a lot smaller and there was no wind(I did have heavier rods with if needed for conditions) I would also take your 9wt as there are Tarpon around on the west side and Cudas are a blast. For lines get either a Rio Bonefish quickshooter or Directcore bonefish or a SA Amplitude bonefish and you should be good to go. What ever you decide to do you should have at least 2 set-ups available to use when you are in the boat as you will not have time to change up if you see a tarpon or permit. You can carry a wire trace for cudas that you can snap on to your bonefish fly if you are wading. Have fun and beware its very addictive. I would secure a second reel if possible 7/8 which you can always use at home for pike or bulls. Make sure you rinse your reels each day in fresh water and give them and your rods a thorough cleaning when you get home. The nice thing is the lodges in the Bahamas are better equipped gear wise than most elsewhere ie Cuba etc... so they will have anything you forget. Most of all have fun I head a little south of you at the same time for 2 weeks. Cheers