View Poll Results: Increase in shooting sports
Wild TV 5 5.43%
Extinct Long Gun Registry 25 27.17%
SKS's and cheap ammo 13 14.13%
Other 49 53.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Default Sudden Increase In Shooting Sports

If you look at the increase in range memberships and the lack of a place to shoot these days, what caused it?
1. Wild TV making hunting look more attractive?
2. Extinct Long Gun Registry making purchasing a firearm easier?
3. SKS's at Canadian Tire with cheap ammo?
4. Other please post.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM

I think alot of people have gotten over the bad gun media crap and started shooting again. Many people I know shot as a young persons and have found there way back to the shooting sports as adults and you parents. Just my two cents enjoy the weather and go shooting take a newbie and or a kid.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Banned

Increase in the population is the single biggest factour IMO. I'm not so sure that the percentage of the population shooting has increased, more like the same percentage but a higher population. Just a theory..........
Old 05-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Increase in the population is the single biggest factour IMO. I'm not so sure that the percentage of the population shooting has increased, more like the same percentage but a higher population. Just a theory..........
This is my theory too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Have to agree...
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Have to agree...
Same for me. More people plain and simple.

Alba gu brath!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Default Population by the numbers

SPFGA range went from 750 shooters in 2009 to 4000 in 2013. That is a 433% increase in activity. The population of Alberta in 2009 was 3,584,678 people and in 2013 it is 3,828,484 people a 1.06% increase. If the number of shooters was directly related to the provinces population then Alberta should have 19,118,242 people in 2013 or SPFGA should only have 801 members.

Judging by these numbers the increase in shooters has nothing to do with a population increase. Any other thoughts?

Here are links to where I obtained the population data from.

http://municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/do...GS/2009pop.pdf

http://municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/do...ation_List.pdf
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM

could still be population increase, most ofthe people moving in are blue collar workers and would likly have a higer tendency to be into shooting sports vs if the influx of people were white collar workers from toronto.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
SPFGA range went from 750 shooters in 2009 to 4000 in 2013. That is a 433% increase in activity. The population of Alberta in 2009 was 3,584,678 people and in 2013 it is 3,828,484 people a 1.06% increase. If the number of shooters was directly related to the provinces population then Alberta should have 19,118,242 people in 2013 or SPFGA should only have 801 members.

Judging by these numbers the increase in shooters has nothing to do with a population increase. Any other thoughts?

Here are links to where I obtained the population data from.

http://municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/do...GS/2009pop.pdf

http://municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/do...ation_List.pdf
Seems like good info. Lots of people I talk to have gotten more directly involved in shooting sports due to removal LGR. Thanks for posting
Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
could still be population increase, most ofthe people moving in are blue collar workers and would likly have a higer tendency to be into shooting sports vs if the influx of people were white collar workers from toronto.
I disagree on three points, at the range (SPFGA) the new people who are shooting seem to be a mixed bag of professionals/white collar/blue collar/retirees. The numbers between the population change and the range increases are 502.83%. That is not an acceptable hypothesis. The third point is people who are new to an area or are New Canadians dont move here then immediately get into hunting/fishing/shooting organizations, they tend to get settled in their careers and houses for the the first while. I believe they would take interest in such affairs after the 5 year sample of data I was using.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:03 PM

A side note... The increased popularity in shooting sports is North American wide and not just here in Alberta.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:07 PM

I'm not sure there as been a drastic increase. I wouldn't trust anecdotal evidence from a few that it's hard to find a range. Anyone got PAL application statistics? That would be a much more reliable indicator.
In the Excited States of America, Obama-dread is driving gun purchases and ammo shortages.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm not sure there as been a drastic increase. I wouldn't trust anecdotal evidence from a few that it's hard to find a range. Anyone got PAL application statistics? That would be a much more reliable indicator.
In the Excited States of America, Obama-dread is driving gun purchases and ammo shortages.
5 Years SPFGA 2009 750 members. 2013 4000 members. 5.3 times the number. That is drastic not anecdotal evidence. We know PAL applications are going up. I am interested in the root cause. PAL applications are an effect not a cause.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh69 View Post
Same for me. More people plain and simple.
More people that have been educated that guns aren't evil. Gun clubs and shooters that take the time to educate non-shooters and spend time with them at the range are a big reason people get into the sport, even if the come from a back ground where shooting/hunting wasn't a reality.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Banned

Hollywood has definitely influenced the popularity of archery.

Maybe the same reason for increased firearms popularity?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
More people that have been educated that guns aren't evil. Gun clubs and shooters that take the time to educate non-shooters and spend time with them at the range are a big reason people get into the sport, even if the come from a back ground where shooting/hunting wasn't a reality.
I'm inclined to agree with this although I'm not 100% sure exactly (I think the getting rid of the registry may have played a part as well). All of my friends and most of my co-workers were previously non-shooters except for one friend I hunt with. Now, almost all of them have gotten a gun or guns in the last 4 years or so. Not sure what exactly it is, but it sure seems that the shooting sports are making a comeback recently. Even my niece has asked me if I can take her out shooting sometime and neither my brother or his inlaws were ever into shooting.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I'm inclined to agree with this although I'm not 100% sure exactly (I think the getting rid of the registry may have played a part as well). All of my friends and most of my co-workers were previously non-shooters except for one friend I hunt with. Now, almost all of them have gotten a gun or guns in the last 4 years or so. Not sure what exactly it is, but it sure seems that the shooting sports are making a comeback recently. Even my niece has asked me if I can take her out shooting sometime and neither my brother or his inlaws were ever into shooting.
I'm sure the lack of the registry is part of it too.

The reason I say it has more to do with education is because, even when the registry was going I was taking people to the range and educating people that guns are not evil. The most common thing I heard was "I'd love to go shooting or hunting but I don't know how to get started". I'd let them know the steps of getting a PAL, etc and go from there.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Last edited by Ryry4; 05-07-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 PM

The internet, forums like this one deserve much credit for promoting the shooting sports. Nowadays we have a whole lot of people communicating about the subject of shooting, hunting, etc. getting each other wound up about elk hunting or what new rifle to get has spawned a huge appetite/market for the proliferation of gun sales, gun stores, shooting ranges, optics, reloading, tv shows about it, gunsmiths popping up everywhere, everything associated with shooting and guns that wouldn't have happened if we were still getting our information from magazines. The information available today would have been unthinkable before the internet. It has connected us, were here right now talking about it, there is a lot of us, we're buying stuff like never before. I'd bet in the last decade more guns have been purchased than in the 50 years previous.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Other:
Growing provincial population.(1million more people in the last 10 yrs~25%increase)
Surging economy giving way to more surplus income.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 05-07-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Other:
Growing provincial population.
Surging economy giving way to more surplus income.
X2
Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 PM

I'm sure shows like Duck Dynasty and the countless southern red-neck shows on histoy channel such as Swamp People probably make people realize that guns aren't evil after all. They see their favorite character shooting a gator from point blank and think " I wanna try shooting"
Old 05-07-2014, 07:40 PM

I am on a board at a range and we have capped mebership and sadly turn peope away. Even with all the restrictions, pistols and tactical are through the roof. IPSIC and IDPA area big part wait lists for anything are huge. Every walk of life and every ethnic backgroud, I really enjoy helping and teaching. I don'tcare why but just glad to be a part of it.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 PM

Our range membership has climbed significantly, every year for several years, pretty much in line with the increasing population of our city.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:18 PM

Default Video gaming?

At the range I shoot at, there has been a large increase in the number of shooters with 'modern sporting rifles' and tactical firearms.

I've wondered if some of the new shooters got their interest in firearms from video games like Call of Duty and other first person shooter games.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 PM

it's "cool" to be country. Country music (or what passes for it) is popular, and shows like duck dynasty are all the rage. Shooting just looks like a lot of fun! Because it is! so people try it and find they like it, and heck, it's alberta! PALs are really not that hard to get, and people are realizing this and taking advantage of it. Guns are GREAT!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 PM

Do you have stats that say that there is an actual increase in the shooting sports?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Banned

just watching a show on Netflix called girl with a gun.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 PM

I would say doomsday preppers, and duck dynasty. Possibly the range closures around the province.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-07-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post

Maybe the increase in activity at certain clubs is because the are fewer clubs than there was in years past?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Mythbusters and an aging population.