Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
No, but he plays on on the innernet
I’m a communist Russian troll bot.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-23-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Why are new trucks so expensive?
Because they come with all this extra crap.
Yes

Less crap the better. It is all designed to break and cost.you money. Its a trap. The most well designed feature is that gd bell that rings when u dont buckle up......that part they got right and its the only.part I WISH would break....

Trannys apparently need no checking u til you replace the whole filter/oil at 120,000km.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:42 PM

Don't know what your budget is, but the new Bronco should make a nice hunting (assuming you're good with no box of course)/driving vehicle. Can even get it with steelies.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:42 PM

Hmph
Fail safe transmission..... didn’t know that. Thanks

I been salivating over them new Broncos.. but I’ll never afford one.

Grew up with a bronco 2 stick shift. Fun vehicle.

There’s a 2008 Xterra for under 5G I might check that out. Run a rad bypass and make that my next truck

I dunno
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-23-2021, 08:44 PM

Right now, I'm looking for a 13-14 gm/chev duramax with a blown head gasket, or injection pump for dad. He wants to do some mods to the engine, so, as I figure it, no use paying premium for a good engine when he wants to change a bunch of stuff anyways. I'm unsure about the 15/16, as those were the first years of a new body style.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Smeller View Post
That's an old wives' tale.
Nah that's actually really good advice, pretty much the first rule of buying vehicles whether new or used imho
Old 01-23-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Right now, I'm looking for a 13-14 gm/chev duramax with a blown head gasket, or injection pump for dad. He wants to do some mods to the engine, so, as I figure it, no use paying premium for a good engine when he wants to change a bunch of stuff anyways. I'm unsure about the 15/16, as those were the first years of a new body style.
15/16 are mechanically the same so don't expect any issues. The new body and electronics were completely reliable on my 2015...the only issue hanging over them is that CP4 pump.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
That's an old wives' tale.
If you are buying a Toyota or Honda, I don't mind buying a first year vehicle, I bought a 2007 Tundra and in 12 years I only replaced a battery and brakes. It may take them forever to do a redesign, but when it is up for sale it has been well tested. I can't say the same for Ford, GM, or Dodge, they rush out changes, to try and be first, and they have more issues as a result.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
April Wine .... lol .... that made me laugh

I bet Bessie has an ABBA or BeeGees one in there too - secretly of course ...
You guys are really screwed up.

To Bessie, the Bay City Rollers are life
Old 01-23-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Hmph

There’s a 2008 Xterra for under 5G I might check that out. Run a rad bypass and make that my next truck

I dunno

Xterra's are gas pigs Bessie but about as close as you can get to a real truck frame in an SUV. Brother had 2 of them and thought they were great. Pretty plain Jane feature wise but they take a beating.

Older 4Runners and Tacomas pretty tough to find down there I bet.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:27 PM

I bought a 2005 4runner last year, its a Limited V8 so pretty much all the options but back then life was simpler. Quite an analog experience driving it but I love the thing, it's still got a tape deck in it. Best part is the V8 and full time AWD, I laugh at snow now!
Old 01-23-2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
A few years ago we bought a car that had no spare tire . I was told that most people who buy cars these days wouldn't know how to change a flat anyways .
Change a flat? lol ..... it's EVEN WORSE .... pulled over to help a guy who blew a tire on what looked to be a pretty new Cadillac truck.

I was intending to see if he needed a hand, or see if he needed to use my phone, or whatever and he said "No Thanks having someone bring me a spare", "this truck didn't come with one" - I kinda stepped back and looked under the box and said "Is there No spare under there?" guy says "where .... what spare?"

Yup ......... the spare was up and under where all truck spares are ....

OMG lol
Old 01-24-2021, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Change a flat? lol ..... it's EVEN WORSE .... pulled over to help a guy who blew a tire on what looked to be a pretty new Cadillac truck.

I was intending to see if he needed a hand, or see if he needed to use my phone, or whatever and he said "No Thanks having someone bring me a spare", "this truck didn't come with one" - I kinda stepped back and looked under the box and said "Is there No spare under there?" guy says "where .... what spare?"

Yup ......... the spare was up and under where all truck spares are ....

OMG lol
You pulled over to give him a hand.
And then said OMG lol?
You never helped him?
Old 01-24-2021, 05:06 AM

Don't know if this will work for you ?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...51694472542585
Old 01-24-2021, 09:16 AM

If you are serious about finding a low tech pickup you are going to have to find an older one in great shape. There are lots of 2012 and earlier vehicles with less than 80,000 Klms on them, it just takes a lot of looking and they won't be all that cheap. Between Autotrader Canada and the States there is a long list of pretty much any make you want to find. Best of luck in the hunt.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:40 AM

Still enjoy my 2001 Ram Cummins. It has cassette radio and real shift levers for 4x4 and gears. Hard to find tapes these days! What are CD,s and Blue tooths?
Old 01-24-2021, 09:52 AM

Last year I got three 1980-86 F150's, 1 free, 1 cost a pig and one for $300. They sit in the line up waiting to be parts or for me to make into runners. 300 cid and 4 speed manuals that we can have the motor hanging off the engine crane in 2 1/2 hours.
Worst part of driving an old truck is going to a lake to go fishing, cause everyone equates old to someone who can mechanic and wants to work on their broken stuff.
Best part is other folk who like old stop and talk about old.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Hey...

Did u guys know that some trucks no longer come with tape decks or even CD players?

AND.... I’m going over this 2010 Frontier... and the cal to what I figured was the transmission fluid dipstick was screwed shut.... how the hella a guy supposed to check the tranny fluid?? See if it’s burnt or not.?

And seats that heat themselves creepy man.....

Needless to say... still looking for a vehicle.
With interest rates so low and new vehicle warranties so good buy new if you can swing it.
After many years of dodge, Ford and gm 4x4’s I went with a HondaRidgeline and have been more then impressed. Can still lay a 4x8 sheet down flat and has been no issues hunting or working and all with 9L/100km.
5000 lb towing capacity.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:21 AM

Thumbs up Good luck in your search for the elusive unicorn

You should take a look at the older Toyotas. Something like this would get ya back to town after you dynamite the bridges: https://imgur.com/gallery/vzUkYT5

FTR- yer grammer ain't'n gud enuf to be a communist Russian troll bot.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-24-2021, 10:30 AM

i hate how they take away the dip sticks i sent 300 bucks and put a BG dip stink in the transmission of my 2011 F150
Old 01-24-2021, 11:25 AM

I have a 2003 Mercedes C240 that I bought a couple years back for downtown commuting. The V6 has no oil dipstick, gotta go though a bunch of steps on the dash to get the oil level, and no way to tell if it is getting black, etc. I guess they think we are so stupid that we will screw up checking the oil.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
You pulled over to give him a hand.
And then said OMG lol?
You never helped him?

Some folks you just can't help. Best to let nature take its course.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellSwoop View Post
I have a 2003 Mercedes C240 that I bought a couple years back for downtown commuting. The V6 has no oil dipstick, gotta go though a bunch of steps on the dash to get the oil level, and no way to tell if it is getting black, etc. I guess they think we are so stupid that we will screw up checking the oil.
A lot of people that are the original buyers of those cars never check the oil. There is a dipstick tool for that though.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Don't know what your budget is, but the new Bronco should make a nice hunting (assuming you're good with no box of course)/driving vehicle. Can even get it with steelies.
And no choice but a t-charged ecoboost??
Old 01-24-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Hmph

I dunno
Bessie the X also have timing chain issues and even with Bobby the local mechanic doing it, its still expensive. If you look at one listen for noise carefully. They got better rade and t chains in 2010 and up.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hmph

I dunno

Xterras are great. Ive had one. No frills, body on frame. Lots of room for meat in the back or the roof.

Pretty sure there are a few manuals in Alberta for sale. That way you dont have to worry about SMOD.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:48 AM

Yup, all kinds of new "features" (sensors and computer chips you don't need that will inevitably fail while allowing tracking and remote shutdowns of your vehicle in the meantime) but can't get a stick shift hardly anywhere, nevermind a cd player. I've got a 07 frontier that's as new of a vehicle as I'd ever want. I'll drive that thing til the wheels fall off and when that happens I'll likely buy something older.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:58 AM

I have an 09 Frontier with 130000km that I bought new. It has been an absolutely fantastic truck. Not having a dipstick isn't unusual, they don't really want to checking the fluid unless you know what you're doing.

I'm glad you mentioned "the bypass", so you're aware of it. Although, its not really a bypass per se, you just need to move the tran cooler...I wouldn't recommend bypassing the cooler.

Oh yeah, mine has a CD player haha.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:56 PM

Check the peddles and rubber band to rear diff The rubber band breaks down with age and you'll stop!!!