Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
I’m sorry but your post is 100% silly and BS.
Here is a real scenario: Drayton couldn’t take the chopper so they landed In a field and had the patient inside in 15 minutes.
Yes total BS.
They are moving away from anymore purchases of the AW-139 to the smaller H-145.
Even though the AW-139 needed a larger, thicker pad it extended the flight distance so that was a good thing.
Just because you can't land right at the hospital they were still landing the AW-139s on the hiway or at the rural airports.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:13 PM

Support it every year.. Had it been around back in 82, I may not have ended up a paraplegic from my MVA...
Old 01-25-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I’m sorry but your post is 100% silly and BS.
Here is a real scenario: Drayton couldn’t take the chopper so they landed In a field and had the patient inside in 15 minutes.

Landing areas have to meet certain criteria, including no loose gravel that could become projectiles when the chopper lands. They don't just touch down at random. Didsbury had to use the out of town church parking lot while the politicians argued about whether to enlarge the heli pad and who was paying. The procedure is, the local fire department is called out and they sweep the area first.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 01-25-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Landing areas have to meet certain criteria, including no loose gravel that could become projectiles when the chopper lands. They don't just touch down at random. Didsbury had to use the out of town church parking lot while the politicians argued about whether to enlarge the heli pad and who was paying. The procedure is, the local fire department is called out and they sweep the area first.

Grizz
If a BK-117 can land on your hospital heljpad then the new H-145 should be able to.
Similar dimensions and weight.
The big AW-139 was retired in September.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
So what’s the option then? Some people make money off of it? Without stars it’s a vacuum of service and good children, teens, adults will die. I’m sorry but you must live in a city or have your head buried in concrete.

This issue is obviously dear to my heart.

I cannot get over how callous your comment is. It makes me truly angry that you can out a group that is NOT publicly funded and saves lives daily.
I hope you can see what they can do in a time of great need to change your awfully shortsighted mind.
It was an older comment from last year however the facts say they board of directors are volunteers and that admin costs is 12% and fund raising 14% which is very reasonable and 74 cents of ever dollar donated pays to fly the choppers.

For comparison Diabetes Canada is 59 cents. Canadian Cancer is 56 cents.

https://www.charityintelligence.ca/c...cancer-society
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-25-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It was an older comment from last year however the facts say they board of directors are volunteers and that admin costs is 12% and fund raising 14% which is very reasonable and 74 cents of ever dollar donated pays to fly the choppers.

For comparison Diabetes Canada is 59 cents. Canadian Cancer is 56 cents.

https://www.charityintelligence.ca/c...cancer-society

Your comment is spot on, as is your info on the amount of money that gets to the end use. I always believed anything at 70% or better was damn good. It was an older comment and despite people showing him he was talking through his hat, he has never apologized for posting wrong information that could hurt the reputation of a fine organization, and the volunteers that serve on the board. Least he could do is man up and say sorry, I was full of poop.
Like I said when this thread started, this is one of the few charities I have a lot of respect for and it deserves support. Anyone who doesn't believe that is free not to donate but they are not free to spread lies and misinformation.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
There are 2 orgs/charities I donate to every year.
STARS, and the Stollery!

STARS because I work and play where STARS could mean life or death for myself, a friend, or a co-worker.

The Stollery because the Pit Boss spent day 1 and day 2 of his life there, and I was so impressed seeing what goes on, it’s a must donate for me.
I have to agree 100%, same here. Both kids spent a couple days at the Stollery when young with minor stuff compared to what others go there for. RSV and Bad Croup. The care they received was amazing. The staff event better.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:04 AM

Being a bit of a gambler, my yearly purchase is,

Stars lotto
Cajgary Hospital home lotto x2 (spring and fall)
Calgary Childrens Hospital lotto
Cars for cash lotto.

Have never won and don't really care. Living in Canmore I see the Star's chopper fly by on a regular basis.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
STARS deserves and uses every dollar well.

Remember though, they dont magically know theyre needed and 911 call centres dont ask for their dispatch; first responders do.

Its a system we need to be grateful for. Many in this world live with far far less.
That's why it seems sad, they continually have to fight for funding from the public , but our whole health care and education systems are based on that model.

Grizz
Old 01-25-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Care to post some sort of proof instead of just making random claims?
Perhaps he is referring to how the original equipment was purchased and how operations were funded.

My understanding was that the Government of the time had an air ambulance service of fixed wing aircraft which still had significant delays built in for the ground ambulance to reach a serviceable airstrip for the load up and trip out.

I am told that the investors bought a helicopter that was leased to the Charity.

I do not have direct information of this arrangement, who was the investors, what was received in compensation, what grants were applied for, what AHS pays for any services, etc.

A good friend who was doing a sabbatical from Australia at the U of A Hospital volunteered and was on a number of flights. On one occasion they landed in a farmer's field. The farmer had fallen off his tractor feeding cows and was run over. The tractor was slowly driving around the downed farmer in circles, and required the pilot to lift off as the tractor circled the field. The Docs and EMT's had to stabilize the injured farmer, while dodging cows, while dodging the tractor, while waiting for the RCMP to find someone who knew how to get onto the moving tractor and turn it off, so the pilot could again land and pick up the farmer.

For a City Slicker Doctor from Australia to experience an Alberta Pasture and all the biohazards it entails, while dodging a tractor, while trying to save the farmer's life, this was quite an experience for her! The farmer lived because of it.

So if someone is making a buck off things while saving lives where fixed wing aircraft cannot provide emergency service, great!

No one else was willing to take the risk, volunteer their time, or organize such a first class operation.

The Province could set up its own air ambulance service, and we could pay for it directly, but citizens stepped in to fill the gap and the relationship works.

Drewski
Old 01-25-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
If a BK-117 can land on your hospital heljpad then the new H-145 should be able to.
Similar dimensions and weight.
The big AW-139 was retired in September.
There newest machines are BK117 D-2

Lots of confusion with Airbus but I believe H-145 is more of a Marketing model number.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
There newest machines are BK117 D-2

Lots of confusion with Airbus but I believe H-145 is more of a Marketing model number.
The 117s are the old original ones.
The 145s are the new ones with enclosed tail rotor.
The big 139s had lots of room inside but the extra weight sitting on 3 wheels as opposed to being spread out on skids required thicker landing pads.
The larger diameter main rotor required larger pads than some hospitals had.
That and their cost was why they were phased out.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:00 PM

Default stars

have participated every year for the 30 years..its a great charity to invest in.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:18 PM

Yes you should care. STARS operates on donation and without the lottery they may not be here. My daughter need them a few years ago. She had an arterial bleed in her leg that they had a hard time controlling due to the trauma to her leg. Without STARS she was at risk of bleeding out before she could have gotten to hospital. We bought tickets every year since then.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
The 117s are the old original ones.
The 145s are the new ones with enclosed tail rotor.
The big 139s had lots of room inside but the extra weight sitting on 3 wheels as opposed to being spread out on skids required thicker landing pads.
The larger diameter main rotor required larger pads than some hospitals had.
That and their cost was why they were phased out.
THE OLD BK117 B-2D (standard tail rotor)

Newest BK117 D-2 has the fenestron tail

**This IS what they are registered as with Transport Canada.
Official document here **
with a model of each.
Old Bk117 was originally registered to stars in 2001, Nov 16 and reg was cancelled in 2002, June 6. Someone else owned it out of country until 2011, May 10.
All facts
Registered as MBB -BK 117 D-2 with transport Canada

Aircraft Information
Mark: C-GCPH
Common Name: Messerschmitt Model Name: MBB-BK117 B-2D
Serial No.: 7028
Basis for Eligibility for Registration: CAR Standard 507.02, 507.03 - Type Certificate - H90
Category: Helicopter Engine: 2, Turbo Shaft
Max Take-Off Weight: 3200 kg
24 Bit Address: Bin=110000000100101101111110, Octal=60045576, Hex=C04B7E
Regional Office: Edmonton Year Imported: 2001
Base of Operations: Calgary , Alberta, CANADA
Manufacturer Information
Manufacturer: Eurocopter Eurocopter Deutschland Gmbh
Country of Manufacture: GERMANY Year of Manufacture: 1983
Registration Information
Type of Registration: Commercial
Owner Registered Since: 2011-05-10
Latest Certificate of Registration Issued: 2016-06-27
Registered Owner Information
Name: Shock Trauma Air Rescue Service
Address: 1441 Aviation Park N.E.
City: Calgary Postal Code: T2E 8M7
Province/Territory/State: Alberta Country: CANADA

The newest BK117 D-2

Aircraft Information
Mark: C-GKLY
Common Name: Airbus Model Name: MBB-BK117 D-2
Serial No.: 20230
Basis for Eligibility for Registration: CAR Standard 507.02, 507.03 - Type Certificate - H90
Category: Helicopter Engine: 2, Turbo Shaft
Max Take-Off Weight: 3700 kg
24 Bit Address: Bin=110000000110000001000111, Octal=60060107, Hex=C06047
Regional Office: Winnipeg Year Imported: 2018
Base of Operations: Calgary, Alberta, CANADA
Manufacturer Information
Manufacturer: AIRBUS HELICOPTERS
Country of Manufacture: GERMANY Year of Manufacture: 2018
Registration Information
Type of Registration: Commercial
Owner Registered Since: 2019-04-16
Latest Certificate of Registration Issued: 2019-04-16
Registered Owner Information
Name: Shock Trauma Air Rescue Service
Address: 1441 Aviation Park N.E.
City: Calgary Postal Code: T2E 8M7
Province/Territory/State: Alberta Country: CANADA
Region: Prairie and Northern
Mail Recipient: Yes
Old 01-25-2021, 07:06 PM

Important service esp for rural Albertans or urban Albertans in rural Alberta. Seems like a win win
Old 01-25-2021, 07:30 PM
Banned

STARS services are so rock solid!! I support
Old 01-25-2021, 09:58 PM

Stars lotto
Cajgary Hospital home lotto x2 (spring and fall)
Calgary Childrens Hospital lotto
Cars for cash lotto.

Outstanding I do the same , win the odd gift card

Its very important to give back in some way

Hats off to everyone that supports these lotteries
Old 01-25-2021, 11:07 PM

Default Stars Lottery

We support them

I rode in the helicopter after my head on collision. We have ever since, Home lottery, calendar and the 50/50.

Pin
Old 01-26-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Hi all.

Was just thinking about a friend who needed an airlift via Stars and whether as an outdoorsman, do I see Stars as a great thing?

About Stars. https://starslotteryalberta.ca/cause.php

It was a pretty quick self reflection. Stars is the only real fast way to evacuate an injured outdoors enthusiast from a bad scene to a hospital. This unique service needs to keep running strong. Expanding where needed and firmly staying put. These fundraising efforts are critical and as such I am buying a few tickets.

https://starslotteryalberta.ca/prizes.php#sweetHome

As these lotteries go, this lottery is one of the cheapest at $30 for one ticket.

I encourage everyone to help this charity out as likely someone we know has used it or will need it some day.

Cheers

Sun

If your hunting in the southeast part of the province don’t get hurt as you won’t see as stars chopper come there! Halo has been running that part of the province and they are in financial need. They had to ground one of their choppers last year because of finances. I wish people would donate to them as well
Old 01-26-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Your comment is spot on, as is your info on the amount of money that gets to the end use. I always believed anything at 70% or better was damn good. It was an older comment and despite people showing him he was talking through his hat, he has never apologized for posting wrong information that could hurt the reputation of a fine organization, and the volunteers that serve on the board. Least he could do is man up and say sorry, I was full of poop.
Like I said when this thread started, this is one of the few charities I have a lot of respect for and it deserves support. Anyone who doesn't believe that is free not to donate but they are not free to spread lies and misinformation.
Does stars not get some government funding as well?
Old 01-26-2021, 08:00 AM

Default 65 million

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/stars-helicopters-to-get-65-million-in-new-funding-via-federal-budget
Old 01-26-2021, 09:09 AM

We support them as well.

I used to spend a lot of time on the road, saw them in action from time to time - So thankful to have them operating here.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:18 PM

And Halo gets nothing from the government?
Old 01-26-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You’re still going on about that?

My buddy Jason ...it was his dad and some other buddies who set it up.
I’m not apologizing....

They got paid huge $$ to be on the board. That was about 1990.

I assume it’s still being done somehow thats difficult to trace (WE charity anyone?). There’s several layers of different companies involved, leases back and forth etc. It’s easy to obfuscate, just like the WE charity.

It’s a valuable service for sure, just like many other charities provide valuable services. Is someone making big bucks in the background? Probably. Can I prove it, do I have any interest in proving it...nope. But I know for a fact what went on.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:37 AM

Why is STARS supporting Okanagan businesses and not Alberta?
Old 01-27-2021, 08:19 AM

We used stars a couple times. The most resent was almost 2 years ago. The wife and I were camping with our 10 month old, who was resently released from the Stollery. He decided to show some bad symptoms. Got on the horn to the Stollery and raced to rocky medical centre. Plan was to have an ambulance to meet us there to escort him to Edmonton. Half way there got a call from the stars pilot and he had us detour to meet in a field nearby. They picked up the lil one and we continued on our way to meet up with him back in Edmonton. A couple of months later our son was back at home. I'm tearing up just writing this now. Great people and a great service to have available to us.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:02 PM

Take a ride in a publicly funded AHS ambulance = $400.
Take a ride in a privately funded STARS air ambulance = $0.00

Here's hoping AHS or provincial govt never gets involved in this service.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
Always torn with this one because they don't operate in SE Alberta we have Halo witch I try to support as much as possible but do hunt in Northern AB.
110%, it was HALO that gave my Dad a ride many years ago. I don't think a lot of people are aware that STARS does not actually service all of Alberta. Unfortunately, HALO received very little funding and it seems year to year its ability to operate hangs by a thread. All of the medevac operations in Alberta are absolutely necessary and supporting any or all of them is money well spent.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
Why is STARS supporting Okanagan businesses and not Alberta?
That's what I was asking, Bcers don't want Albertans in their province!