Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM

Default One bow sight to do it all

Looking at buying a bow sight that I can not only use for hunting but that can be used for some out door target shooting as well. I feel a 3or 5 pin adjustable sight would be best. Have to admit I know next to nothing about what is available and everytime I think I found one I like another brand pops up on a search for me to research. That stated Really like the retina location technology of the IQ and Sure-loc sights.

Also I plan on buying just one sight that will last me the next few bows so willing to.spend some good money on this.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:18 PM

CBE, Spot Hogg, HHA, Axcel. All have an offering that would suit what you need.

LC
Old 10-27-2016, 01:28 PM

Lefty What one do you recommend and why. If you doent want to answer that I totally understand though.

Would love some rational on why people like their sight over another brand. What features drew you to it what don't you like ect.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountedbowman View Post
Lefty What one do you recommend and why. If you doent want to answer that I totally understand though.

Would love some rational on why people like their sight over another brand. What features drew you to it what don't you like ect.
I like CBE and have used them in competition shooting. But I prefer the Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg as an all around or I just got a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL. I like the Spot Hogg for durability and the pins are truly "bullet proof" and really bright. The Fast Eddie XL is on a dovetail mount which is a bonus over the Tommy Hogg. Both sights are compatible with multi or single pin housings. Also Spot Hogg is a great company to deal with.

LC
Old 10-27-2016, 02:22 PM

Default bow site websites F&%$

The one thing I have realized is that bow sight companies do a crap job of explaining all of the functions of their sights to a lay person.

Just one or two pictures of the product and then minimal explanation of the sights capabilities.

But I guess that does a good job of making sure that the hunter goes to the local store and keeps the dealers happy.

Not that I would ever buy off of a website as the return policy would be hard to deal with but man, technology is amazing if the functions were properly explained.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:32 PM

If you want good info on sights, Do YouTube search or google the sight and try to find video reviews, you can get a lot of "impartial" reviews and not just marketing info.

LC
Old 10-27-2016, 02:36 PM

I have an Axcel Armortech and it's a great sight. That being said the one's listed by Lefty are all great you get what you pay for with sights.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Banned

I love my spot Hogg hunter wrap it I took the 5th pin off so I have a spare and it's awesome took me awhile to get used to the way the pins move but sure great sight
Old 10-27-2016, 05:33 PM

LC you did a review on a sight about a year ago, been thinking about that.
If you get a chance could you bring it to the top.
Appreciate it.

Also wanted to ask you now that you've spent some time with it what do you
think today.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:55 PM

I have had black gold, spot Hogg HHA and IQ sights over the past couple of years.

All have been good sights but I have been the happiest with the IQ. ( so far)

Black gold was good but it was a bit awkward to adjust.
Spot Hogg great durable sight but found it over heavy and did not balance well on a carbon bow
HHA great sight but I could not mentally get to trust it. I like to know my exactly what my pins are at and I could not seem to get get over that and was not thrilled at hBing to adjust sight during a stalk etc.
IQ micro adjust has been the ticket for me so far but I am a gear junkie so I am sure eventually something may prompt me to change. IQ button is a real deal helping aid at training you to hold form and reduce Tork. eventually you start to shoot better and not even look at the button.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
LC you did a review on a sight about a year ago, been thinking about that.
If you get a chance could you bring it to the top.
Appreciate it.

Also wanted to ask you now that you've spent some time with it what do you
think today.
Not sure which sight that would be? I don't recall doing a review of one. I might have explained the Anchor Sight to someone though?

LC
Old 10-27-2016, 08:07 PM

Yea, I'm not sure which sight it was either.
Was a time ago.
Thought the sight had a way of focusing in on third axis with a bubble level.
not sure it's been a while.

Remember your review was about the time of shooting in the winter 100 yds.
Target shooting. Or soon there after.

May have been an Ascell sight don't remember.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 10-27-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:19 PM

CBE Tek Hybrid. 5 pin. Durable and adjustable.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
I have an Axcel Armortech and it's a great sight. That being said the one's listed by Lefty are all great you get what you pay for with sights.
I'm using one of these this year but am disappointed on how easy the pins bend if you get a stick shoved through the guard. At least they haven't broke yet. Pin colors are also a problem. LAST sight I will shoot that has a red pin mixed in with green and yellow. It's a illusion, but always looks like it's left of the pins above and below it.

On the plus side I think the mount and movable parts are some of the toughest I've seen and will give the Hoggit a run in that category
Old 10-27-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Pin colors are also a problem. LAST sight I will shoot that has a red pin mixed in with green and yellow. It's a illusion, but always looks like it's left of the pins above and below it.

Glad I am not going crazy, that's how I see red pins too when compared to green pins right next to them. That's why I use all green pins with graduated sizes.

LC
Old 10-27-2016, 08:37 PM

I dropped the yellow pin years ago.
Red, green, red, 20 25 and 30.
works.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Glad I am not going crazy, that's how I see red pins too when compared to green pins right next to them. That's why I use all green pins with graduated sizes.

LC
Its do to astigmatism. Fairly common, have been using all green fiber for years beacause of the issue.

Can't go wrong with either a CBE Tek hybrid or Axcel Armortech 3 or 5 pin sight. Both can be fitted with a scope for 3d or target and multipin head for hunting if thats the route you want to go. Run the CBE myself but wouldnt hesitate to run the Axcel.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:41 PM

What exacty is asitiogesum ?
Plastic in the eyes that blocks yellow hues ?

An un naturlal curve in the eye ball ?

Ok guys give it up this anit northern exposer here what is it.

Why is yellow so bad ? so invisible ?

What about black or blue ?

Serriouly I think it's all about focus. Zen kinda thing. The seeing through.
Yup that's it.
Pop! After you hit the trigger.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
wow thought for sure it was slightly left as well. now i know lol
Old 10-28-2016, 08:06 PM

I have a 3 pin Axcel Accutouch slider. Really like the pins on it and how the housing cover is adjustable, which covers the fibers, allowing more or less light in. Haven't had a chance to set yo the slider part yet. I also think I can change the housing to a single pin for 3D or target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2016, 05:34 AM

Lefty had mentioned the Spott Hogg, Fast Eddie.
I have one that has a double dot on a single vertical pin...it's a very nice and user friendly sight, for both hunting and target shooting.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:14 AM

Not a fan of the spot hogg sights, comparing to others they are much heavier then most. I'm really like my cbe tek hybrid pro

It comes with all axis adjustments, can accept a lense, it has 3 pins but you can add pins or take pins or and as well you can put one pin in there vertical. Comes with a light(you can use if your not after p&y) all micro adjust. No clicks, as quite as can be, the elevation knob is super smooth.

You could hunt with it and either set it as a 5 pin fixed pin, or have your 3 pins at 20-30-40 and sight tape to get out past 40. Then after hunting for target and 3d you can take those pins out, put one pin up and add your sight tape . Now you have a fully functional one pin slider sight.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterratitan View Post
Not a fan of the spot hogg sights, comparing to others they are much heavier then most. I'm really like my cbe tek hybrid pro

It comes with all axis adjustments, can accept a lense, it has 3 pins but you can add pins or take pins or and as well you can put one pin in there vertical. Comes with a light(you can use if your not after p&y) all micro adjust. No clicks, as quite as can be, the elevation knob is super smooth.

You could hunt with it and either set it as a 5 pin fixed pin, or have your 3 pins at 20-30-40 and sight tape to get out past 40. Then after hunting for target and 3d you can take those pins out, put one pin up and add your sight tape . Now you have a fully functional one pin slider sight.
I've been thinking about this sight as well, I didn't realize that the multi pin sights could be changed to have one vertical pin. That just may be a selling feature for me! Thanks for this information!
Old 10-29-2016, 05:28 PM

There may be better ones out there but I am completely satisfied with my cbe tek hybrid. I got a 5 pin but prefer it with one removed
Old 10-29-2016, 07:07 PM

Default Cbe teck hybrid pro.

In regards to the teck hybrid pro are you able to easily remove the pins or do you simply replace the head unit.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountedbowman View Post
In regards to the teck hybrid pro are you able to easily remove the pins or do you simply replace the head unit.
Depending on the year it's either one hex nut or you need to remove a fibre cover and it's one hex nut.

LC
Old 10-30-2016, 03:34 PM

I can't help thinking back to a thread from a couple of months ago where people were professing their maximum ethical self imposed yardage. On average, people were claiming they would never shot more than 30 or 40 yards. Ever.

If this is the case, why would one ever consider anything but a single pin sight for hunting? What good is a multi pin sight if you are never going to use 2 or 3 of the pins? Even with a bow shooting at a pretty modest 280 fps, if a single pin was set to 28 yards it would be less than 2 inches high at 20 yards and 6 inches low at 40. You are essentially in the kill zone from 0 to 40 yards, and do not have to worry about a cluttered sight window, different colors of pins having a different appearance or alignment in your sight window, and you will never pick the wrong pin.

The only thing you will ever have to worry about is the distance, which is the case 100 percent of the time anyway! This is where practice comes into the equation, which breeds confidence in range estimation and familiarity with your equipment.

I hunt with an HHA Kingpin single pin set at 33 yards. My bows speed is right around 320, and in the picture the highest arrow is 20 yards, then the next is 10 yards and the one to the right a little is 30 yards. The bottom one is 40 yards, and you will see that it is only 4 inches low, and that all of the arrows are in a 5 1/2 inch hit window. If it's farther than that, either hold high, or adjust your sight. Too easy!

Just throwing it out there......

If you want to shoot farther, just adjust your sight.

This is a picture of broadheads shot at 100 yards with 2 different bows. The in the middle are out if my 2016 Carbon Defiant Turbo, the 2 to the right are from my 2015 Nitrum Turbo. I don't think I would shoot at an animal that far, but at least I know my broadheads fly good out to 100, which makes me confident in my equipment.

Sorry about the picture orientation, I couldn't get it to rotate them.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2016, 04:49 PM

Good post Normanrd, lots of guys are making the conversion to a single pin, I am just set in my ways but I can see the benefits for sure!

LC
Old 10-31-2016, 05:39 PM

Would you advise a fella starting out in archery (bow hunting) to try starting with a single pin sight ?
Old 10-31-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Would you advise a fella starting out in archery (bow hunting) to try starting with a single pin sight ?
Personally I would recommend a multi pin, but it's all preference. Most package bows come with multi pin.

LC