Old 09-11-2018, 03:53 AM

Default Which tire should I get

The F150 needs new boots. Choice between Duratracs and BFG KO2

$1100 for the Duratrac on the 4 for 3 deal next week
$1262 for the BFG

Which one would you get.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:41 AM

I went with the BFG KO2. Had them for about 2 months and very happy. Actually quiet on the highway. Talked to a few other people that have them and they are all very happy. Another person I know has been researching tires for his Toyota and tells me the KO2's come up best all around tire all the time.
My $.02.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:16 AM

I am a BFG guy love them. But recently tried a set of Dura tracks on my work truck. I found the duratracks performed better in winter. Would help my truck chew threw 3ft snow no problem. I am off-road a lot and found the duratracs all round better tire. A little nosy though and maybe a little softer
Old 09-11-2018, 07:25 AM

another vote for KO2s
I found that costco had the best price on them
Old 09-11-2018, 07:53 AM
AO Sponsor

Both are excellent tires and both are considered top of the game in all terrain tires than can deal with some real winter conditions with maybe a slight edge to the Duratrac in that regard, but really people generally like both fairly equally in the market place. One key difference between the two that may make one more appealing vs the other is causing structure. In the stock F150 sizes, the Duratrac is available as a standard load casing which is what the truck uses, but the KO2 is a heavy duty LT casing. If you carry heavy loads regular, especially over long distances, the LT tire can be run at a higher air pressure for more stability under the heavy load, but they do weight more and use more fuel than the standard load versions. They also tend to ride a bit tougher.

If you just want extra traction but value the factory ride and fuel economy more than the extra stability under heavy load, go Duratrac. If you are harder on your tires and need a bit of extra strength, go KO2. Both are good tires for sure. I should note in some sizes, the Duratrac is available in both standard and LT while the KO2 is only available in LT.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM

Got the KO2's on my Jeep and found them very good on snow , better on ice than stock wranglers that came with the jeep , and extremely good in muddy terrain.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:27 AM

Check out "NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER MT" Light truck tire.

They are a good tire on F-150's. You will get lots of miles out of them. Snow, ice, mud, gravel it doesn't matter. They look good too.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:49 AM

General Grabber AT2.
Your welcome.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Tried pretty much all of them. For an all round tire that needs to perform in tough off road situations, definitely the Duratrac. Less money (great sales monthly on them), last longer, better off road traction. 2500 Dodge V10 Longbox Extended cab.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
The F150 needs new boots. Choice between Duratracs and BFG KO2

$1100 for the Duratrac on the 4 for 3 deal next week
$1262 for the BFG

Which one would you get.
Canadian Tire has the Duratrac's on sale for $187 a piece until tomorrow. Look at the front page of the flyer. Might be a better deal
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Checked them for price. My size is not a good deal there. Getting duratracs from fountain tire. 4 for 3 event. Installed next week.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyperch View Post
another vote for KO2s
I found that costco had the best price on them
x2
Old 09-11-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
General Grabber AT2.

Your welcome.

Yup. Can’t beat em for price. I run a studded set in the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2018, 04:29 PM

DuraTracs get my vote

Been running them since they were release on all of our trucks.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:58 PM

Don't buy Michelins.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/enth...id=mailsignout
Old 09-11-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturalwoodsman View Post

They are a good tire on F-150's. You will get lots of miles out of them. Snow, ice, mud, gravel it doesn't matter. They look good too.
They have practically no siping so would be **** on ice...
Old 09-11-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
They have practically no siping so would be **** on ice...

And they aren’t that good in the mud. And they are expensive as all get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Mud: sure, looks: sure. Snow and ice: not a bloody chance. Unless you're comparing them to completely bald tires on a skid steer loader they will utterly suck on snow and ice. By presenting such a recommendation its quite clear that you've never driven a good set of snow tires. I recommend that you try some high end dedicated winter tires and then revisit your own advice to see if you still believe it yourself.

Long wearing tires are the antithesis of good winter performance. A compound that is already hard in the summer does not allow for good acceleration, handling or braking in winter conditions.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Mud: sure, looks: sure. Snow and ice: not a bloody chance. Unless you're comparing them to completely bald tires on a skid steer loader they will utterly suck on snow and ice. By presenting such a recommendation its quite clear that you've never driven a good set of snow tires. I recommend that you try some high end dedicated winter tires and then revisit your own advice to see if you still believe it yourself.

Long wearing tires are the antithesis of good winter performance. A compound that is already hard in the summer does not allow for good acceleration, handling or braking in winter conditions.

. Easy boys. Stay in the city. Go ahead Run some michelins, they are a good grocery getting tire or for getting the mail, and they look real cute. :thinking-006

FYI I drive 75000km a year. I have ran every kind of tire checking oil wells for 18 years you ain't going to school me on tires. It boils down to hiway, gravel, mud, snow, ice, sometimes all in the same day for me. Some of you city folk put on a cute set of tires and run them from April to September, then put on a different cuter set from October to March, and then think you are some big tire/driving expert.. Not for me. But Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:33 PM

Being that the OP of this thread lives in a big city, other city dwellers opinions would seem to be more appropriate than those of someone routinely driving in vastly different conditions on an abundance of gravel and mud. I learned the superiority of winter tires in the 1980's, that lesson has been reinforced by every winter since, sadly sometimes by the absence of decent tires. I resented employers who didn't provide good winter tires and am happy that I'm now the guy calling the shots and can choose the best ones for my needs. My own cars were always well-shod, but I've put more km's on my work trucks & vans.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:39 PM

Tough choice, both are great in my opinion. I am currently running the K02's on my Jeep and have been super impressed with them so far. One nice advantage with the Duratracs is that they are studdable.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:39 AM

I was actually in the market for new tires for my Tundra, and I considered the Duratracs, and the KO2s, and I actually ended up buying the Sumitomo Encounter AT for my Tundra. Speaking to the manager at Kal Tire yesterday, they use that tire on their own pickups, and he uses them on his personal pickup. He tells me that they are not as good offroad as the KO2 or Duratrac, but he much prefers them on icy/snowy roads, and they are quiet, and last a long time.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:10 AM

I put Cooper at2 tires on my truck. I have 50000 kms. on them and look like they are only half wore and they have seen a lot of gravel roads. I believe the new Cooper's are at3's now. You won't be disappointed with these tires.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:39 AM

If the OP travels to BC in winter then tires are supposed to be winter rates...ie
have the snow flake.
KO2s and Duratracs are both winter rated.....there are others of course
Old 09-12-2018, 06:46 AM

265 70R 17 all in and out the door. $ 1126.32 I went to 3 fountain tires and one of them said the 4 for 3 does not apply to Duratracs, 97st and 134 ave.

Londonderry and yellowhead just off 82 st would. Yellowhead had a slightly lower price as there balancing was slightly cheaper but Londonderry matched it. A savings of $ 227.99

I drive mostly city and hiway but I also go ice fishing lots and some of the snow that I was in last year was scarry with my all season tires. Only stuck once on Long lake in a place where the snow was over my front bumper, my truck sits pretty low in the front with the air dam in the front.

How you drive and keeping momentum up makes a difference too. 2 years ago the snow was pretty deep going across Utikama in February. No problem when I kept momentum up at 50 km/hr and 3500 rpm. Worked the twins pretty hard that day.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:

X2

I put Nitto Grapplers on my F150 last year after being talked out of KO2's. They're a great tire - traction on all surfaces and a warranty - something I don't think the KO2 has (honestly).

Louder and cause the truck to consume more fuel than my old Pirelli Scorpions but who cares - those tires were terrible in wet/snowy conditions and looked dumb on a Lariat to begin with.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 AM

Dont look past the general grabber at3's either ..is another option ..reasonably priced also
Old 09-12-2018, 06:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
If the OP travels to BC in winter then tires are supposed to be winter rates...ie
have the snow flake.
KO2s and Duratracs are both winter rated.....there are others of course
Actually that is not true. The tires in BC must be rated M&S with minimum 3.5mm of tread or have the 3PMS symbol. Every single all season tire in North America is branded M&S. Basically, you just can't have purely summer tires.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...t-winter-tires
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-12-2018, 06:03 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
265 70R 17 all in and out the door. $ 1126.32 I went to 3 fountain tires and one of them said the 4 for 3 does not apply to Duratracs, 97st and 134 ave.

Londonderry and yellowhead just off 82 st would. Yellowhead had a slightly lower price as there balancing was slightly cheaper but Londonderry matched it. A savings of $ 227.99

I drive mostly city and hiway but I also go ice fishing lots and some of the snow that I was in last year was scarry with my all season tires. Only stuck once on Long lake in a place where the snow was over my front bumper, my truck sits pretty low in the front with the air dam in the front.

How you drive and keeping momentum up makes a difference too. 2 years ago the snow was pretty deep going across Utikama in February. No problem when I kept momentum up at 50 km/hr and 3500 rpm. Worked the twins pretty hard that day.
It's too bad you were not in Calgary... I could have saved you some money.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 09-12-2018, 06:27 PM

I get a kick out of those that buy tires cuz ( the store) recommended them.... Duh, they try to sell tires they can buy the cheapest and Mark em up as much as they can.