Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I'll rephrase has anyone ever heard of anybody convicted for driving under the influence of cannabis ? I never have although I haven't known too many smokers since the 80's.
I have not looked at the Criminal Code for about 25 years. IIRC the impaired driving charge read drive while impaired by alcohol or a drug. I do recall that some drivers were charged based on an visual signs of impairment without the evidence that there was an odor of an alcoholic beverage. Those cases were always open to the argument that the accused consumed something that he/she did not know caused impairment.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:15 AM

Default I wish I was a lawyer they're going to make millions on the upcoming challenges.

I've always considered the company drug policy as a witch hunt what a person does on their own time is none of my business or the employers, show up at work impaired your fired. A person can pass a premployment drug test then snort coke while blowing a joint on the way home with a beer between their legs and still have a job the next day what a farce.
As far as People offended by the smell I'm more annoyed with stinking diesel trucks and loud mufflers than pot, ever been to BC it's been ignored/legal there for the last 30 years.
The Liberals were just eager for fast votes than to take a more prudent approach like to decriminalize pot then ease into legalization when the bugs were worked out, it's going to cost the taxpayers big time.

As far as I'm concerned smoke em if you got em I won't be but I'm nobody's nanny either.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I never tried drugs in my life
Have you tried alcohol or coffee?
Old 09-13-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
My current position is deemed safety sensitive, therefore it’s zero tolerence for any intoxicants.
We are also subject to just cause and post incident drug and alcohol testing too.

It ain’t worth the risk IMO.

Not like I was a user or even an experimenter anyways.
I'm in the same boat, any postive test for THC isn't tolerated. Regardless if you have a prescription or not. That is made very clear before you hire on.

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 09-13-2018, 03:14 PM

the same thing is repeated through all these threads over the years; do YOU drink coffee or alcohol???

and the person who wrote that stunningly creative thread stopper winds up with a big rock, just smiling waiting for the inevitable answer.....

Try to process this, Illegal Drugs are Illegal in Canada. Always have been. Still are.

Funny, I can not for the life of me remember when, in the last oh lets say 100 years coffee was illegal, and alcohol was only illegal during prohibition from 1918 to 1920 during the first world war, and at times in municipalities during the 199th century. Other than to minors of course, but most do not care about that either.

If you were alive during that time, and care to share some enlightenment on the hardships you experienced, please, by all means, do tell.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Hey Ken, I looked back at the couple posts that questioned about the drinking of alcohol and coffee. None of them questioned legalities just whether or not the people who have said they have never used drugs have consumed coffee or alcohol. Fact is, legal or not both caffeine and alcohol are considered drugs.

Last edited by Parker Hale; 09-13-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Good point Parker.

Now, for sure, that is the way the argument will go. lol.

maybe

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-13-2018, 04:25 PM

Cannabis and cocaine were both legal at one time. Coca-Cola anyone? Alcohol was just too damned popular to stay prohibited. It's definitely destroyed an exponentially higher amount of families and people than cannabis ever did though. Coffee not so much.

Last edited by Okotok; 09-13-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
the same thing is repeated through all these threads over the years; do YOU drink coffee or alcohol???

and the person who wrote that stunningly creative thread stopper winds up with a big rock, just smiling waiting for the inevitable answer.....

Try to process this, Illegal Drugs are Illegal in Canada. Always have been. Still are.

Funny, I can not for the life of me remember when, in the last oh lets say 100 years coffee was illegal, and alcohol was only illegal during prohibition from 1918 to 1920 during the first world war, and at times in municipalities during the 199th century. Other than to minors of course, but most do not care about that either.

If you were alive during that time, and care to share some enlightenment on the hardships you experienced, please, by all means, do tell.
Prior to 1908, a lot of stuff was legal.

In fact, using your example, cannabis wasn't illegal until 1923, so even during the prohibition years you cite, a person could legally use it. Your argument lacks strong legs to stand on, I fear.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 PM

It's going to take a generation or two for reefer madness to wear off

Old 09-13-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Cannabis and cocaine were both legal at one time. Coca-Cola anyone? Alcohol was just too damned popular to stay prohibited. It's definitely destroyed an exponentially higher amount of families and people than cannabis ever did though. Coffee not so much.
Yup and you can back your truck up to the liquor store and legally buy enough alcohol to kill yourself. Good luck overdosing on weed though. I do not partake in either btw. I do know the destruction alcohol can cause very intimately as well as drugs.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Just wait, after all bylaws are in place in a couple years. You won't be able to smoke pot or cigs in your own back yard, what about the people that don't smoke in the house ? This country is going to pot.
Good insight. Although pot will be legal to own soon, the bylaws will make it illegal to smoke.

As far as impaired driving... unless a person is going through a checkstop, you have to give the police a reason to stop you. If the reason is impairment, it is impairment. Plain and simple.

A comment in regards to prohibition. There was a federal prohibition in the western territories, before Alberta was a province, form 1875 to 1892. The prohibition was put in place because of the whiskey forts. Like Fort Whoopup by Lethbridge.
And then again in 1916 the Alberta Liquor Act was created and the provincial vote was in favor of prohibition. All sales of liquor was stopped July 1, 1916. A person could only buy a medicinal quart of liquor with a doctor's prescription.

With the pot issue... This whole legalization should have happened when Joe "Grow yer Own" Clark was trying to get it legal back in the day. None of this hoopla would be happening now. Old Joe wasn't talking about stock investments and hundreds of merchant stores driving the industry, he was more about if you want to smoke pot grow your own. Less for the police to deal with. Now legalization is all about capitalism and enforcement. Sad.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-13-2018, 05:06 PM

I don't use, have I...??

25 years ago..
People with pain or disease should reap the benefits of taking the discomforts.
I watched and was with my Pops, as he suffered with cancer. I wish he would have tried something different, as morphine made him sick, and he hated it, so being the tough old codger he was, he took nothing.

I know one thing, if a few drops of liquid, will stop a seizure, or give you half a day without pain, I'm in.

I won't smoke, or frown if another does, but go out back. Go somewhere, it's not like we all haven't been around it, but the smell of weed disgusts me. But that's me.

Gonna be interesting for sure...... and soon..

Again... my two cents...
Old 09-13-2018, 06:29 PM

Interesting lawyer dude from Vancouver was on Corus radio 770 this week, rubbing his hands with delight at the thought of the first case with the Drager roadside saliva test. The Law firm bought a Drager for $7500 and ran a bunch of tests. It also senses cocaine etc, and in European testing was giving 86 percent false positives for cocaine. Now ain’t that great. Random roadside test can be done at a checkstop, lose your vehicle and license etc.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Prior to 1908, a lot of stuff was legal.

In fact, using your example, cannabis wasn't illegal until 1923, so even during the prohibition years you cite, a person could legally use it. Your argument lacks strong legs to stand on, I fear.
It is illegal. What stronger legs do you need?

Old 09-13-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
The state of being illegal often comes and goes. Even with coffee which at one time was banned in several countries around the world. Some declared it the devil’s drink and counties declared it caused some to just hang around and not be productive. For a while coffee dens went underground and coffee paraphanalia like cups and dishes were often confiscated. One country sentenced convicted murderers to drink coffee until they died.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
The state of being illegal often comes and goes. Even with coffee which at one time was banned in several countries around the world. Some declared it the devil’s drink and counties declared it caused some to just hang around and not be productive. For a while coffee dens went underground and coffee paraphanalia like cups and dishes were often confiscated. One country sentenced convicted murderers to drink coffee until they died.
That's interesting stuff Covey. I never knew that.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:03 PM

I wonder why people get so worked up about what others do? Who gives a rat's rip if any forum member drinks a 26 and pukes their guts out? No one. So why we would care if someone gets baked, eats too many cheezies, and falls asleep? As long as they don't get behind the wheel of a vehicle it is none of anyone's business. Plain and simple. I think some with their shorts in a knot ought to give it a whirl in a month when it becomes legal. Might like it better than beer. Me, I will stick to my evil coffee and Coke Zero. A joint may actually be better for me than the chemicals in my Coke Zero. Who knows? All I know is these threads are very predictable. Live and let live, I say.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Banned

What a messed up society we live in. Everyone with any type of power or authority only seems to use it when it suits there beliefs or fancy. The government and human rights, heck I even see it here and in this thread and the same thing I got sent to detention for. The cops that break all the traffic bylaws on their own time. The employers that look the other way on crack heads because they know they will probably pass their stupid testing. It’s a corrupt world. I’m going to go burn one now, have a nice evening.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I wonder why people get so worked up about what others do? Who gives a rat's rip if any forum member drinks a 26 and pukes their guts out? No one. So why we would care if someone gets baked, eats too many cheezies, and falls asleep? As long as they don't get behind the wheel of a vehicle it is none of anyone's business. Plain and simple. I think some with their shorts in a knot ought to give it a whirl in a month when it becomes legal. Might like it better than beer. Me, I will stick to my evil coffee and Coke Zero. A joint may actually be better for me than the chemicals in my Coke Zero. Who knows? All I know is these threads are very predictable. Live and let live, I say.
SNS you sound like a true Libertarian! Couldnt have said it better myself. I could give a rat's ass what someone else does as long as it doesnt hurt me or any other person. Or as John Stuart Mill put it "The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-14-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
SNS you sound like a true Libertarian! Couldnt have said it better myself. I could give a rat's ass what someone else does as long as it doesnt hurt me or any other person. Or as John Stuart Mill put it "The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant."
Right on, couldn't agree more. I'm also a live and let live kinda guy as long as your not making a victim of anyone. Wanna huff some paint? fill yer boots. It's your brain cells.

Has anyone seen the punishments for driving high?

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/a-compl...adian-province

It's a no brainer that texting while driving is about the stupidest and most dangerous thing you can do behind the wheel and kills more people than impaired driving, get caught and your driving away with a $500 fine but get caught cross eyed and your up the proverbial creek without a paddle, it just dosent make sense.

That's especially why I'm concerned with them getting the level of impairment down cold, not just a positive/negative test buy a machine with known problems or the officers discretion or opinion but as SNS pointed out maybe they will use that test as probable cause for a blood test for actual impairment levels, I have no problem with that. Just want them to get it right, especially with those heavy handed punishments.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:04 AM

Default US border policy doesn’t make sense

https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/can...-official.html

In a country with states having pot industries to ban a Canadian for smoking or investing seems very odd.

That being said it is their right.

I expect a ton more vigilance on behalf of border agents.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/can...-official.html

In a country with states having pot industries to ban a Canadian for smoking or investing seems very odd.

That being said it is their right.

I expect a ton more vigilance on behalf of border agents.

Their house their rules. While I don't give a rip what you do on your time I am not at all in favor of legalizing drugs. When it is legal do whatever floats your stick just understand what the cost is going to be.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 PM

What have the effects been in places like Vancouver, where it's been "legal-ish" for a couple of years now?

I predict a lot of negative impact from the start as people who aren't used to the potent strains that they'll be selling will get into some unfortunate situations. Or is the stuff they'll be allowed to sell regulated to a reasonable level of potency?

I also predict that after a while, LESS people will be using than there are now.
This will be because of the roadside impairment testing, which we never have had before, plus I think there will be an increase in workplace zero tolerance policy and testing, due to liability.
The downside of getting an impaired charge or fired from a job will discourage recreational users after the novelty has worn off.

I already know people who won't even have 1 drink when they're out during "check-stop season".
I can see people saying "I'm not going to get blasted today because I have to drive later, or in the morning".

A lot of the pot shops will either go broke, or they'll stay busy and no one will be on the roads or in the workforce.

Also, what about "public intoxication"?
If you can arrest someone for being drunk in public, can you now lock up stoners for being whacked out on weed in public?
Old 09-14-2018, 01:40 PM

While I agree that I don't care what you do on your time. I believe that they need to get impairment testing done correctly.
If you are impaired at work, booze drugs or other, then you are fired.
But if you smoked a joint last night, I don't care.
I can't go and have 3 beers at the pub on my lunch brake, so you can't go smoke a fatty on lunch and expect to have a job when you come back at 1pm.
They need proper tests to see if you are currently impaired. Not sure how they are going to do it. But that's what needs to happen.
The problem with public smoking of MJ is that it effects everyone in the area.
If I have a beer, I affect no one but me. SO this is very different.
I hate the smell of pot, but could care less if you are smoking it. Just have some courtesy and don't do it around my children, and like smoking cigarettes don't blow the smoke in my face.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:

You need to be more specific. Cannabis is illegal in Canada for recreational purposes. Cannabis is LEGAL in Canada for medical purposes and has been for a number of years. Educate yourself.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 PM

So they are legalizing pot without very much research and roadside testing, yet they have actual numbers about gun related deaths, but choose to irresponsibly legalize pot with no scientific data or planning and want to ban hand guns and 'assault rifles' while knowing that it will have zero impact on gun crime.... what a country we live in
Old 09-14-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
My current position is deemed safety sensitive, therefore it’s zero tolerence for any intoxicants.
We are also subject to just cause and post incident drug and alcohol testing too.

It ain’t worth the risk IMO.

Not like I was a user or even an experimenter anyways.
Exact same situation here. We have been given limits for degrees of discipline based on levels in nanograms? However, I would have no idea how they corelate to actual usage.
So my curiousity isnt worth my career.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisPbacon View Post
You need to be more specific. Cannabis is illegal in Canada for recreational purposes. Cannabis is LEGAL in Canada for medical purposes and has been for a number of years. Educate yourself.
I am fully aware that anybody whining about an upset tummy can go cry to their doctor and get a medical prescription for marijuana. But we aren't talking about that are we were talking about legality of illegal drugs for anybody that does not have the prescription. On the radio today while I was in Edmonton I heard do you have an upset stomach do you have stress or anxiety, life got you down go to your doctor you may qualify for medical marijuana brought to you by...
The retailers are sure going to jump all over this.
You tell me to get educated but the people that have the prescriptions and not the ones in here talking about it they don't need to they already have it. Maybe you need to reread

Old 09-14-2018, 06:27 PM

No different than people crying to their doctor for antidepressants. Lots of people have been behind the wheel and at work zoinked on antidepressants for decades...