Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Default Dry Fired bow

My buddy was taking a shot with my new bow and the arrow fell off the string just as it Released. its a single cam Bear Charge, no physcal damage does anyone think it hurt it?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM

check the limbs for little cracks.

some guy was pulling my bow back and i specifically told him DO NOT LET GO! BOOM lets go... string came of the cam thats it, lucky.

check for little cracks by the cam, on the cam, the limbs...
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Welcome aboard, Windknot. I too asked the same question a while back and recieved some great responses. You can read it here....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=29852

Tree
Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Default Bow Dry fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
My buddy was taking a shot with my new bow and the arrow fell off the string just as it Released. its a single cam Bear Charge, no physcal damage does anyone think it hurt it?
Damage to limbs f/ "dry firing a bow" in this day and age is a oldwives tail!!
Unless your bow was manufactured prior to 1985 you will not harm the limbs. I would look closley @ you string (around the cam area ecpecially).

If it looks good and shoots good chances are its good. wouldnt recommend "dry firing" any bow though!!! Silly
Old 01-04-2010, 01:24 AM

Shouldn't hurt anything, I agree with hornaholic, But I would check for fractures off anything the isn't part of the riser............................................. ........Or just tell your buddy he just bought himself a slightly used bow
Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks you guys, I looked the bow over good no physcal damage and still shots. Sure did **** me off it was only like its 5th arrow ever shot. I figured it didn't hurt it since it was brand new. But I will still keep my eye on it closely.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Banned

I'd check the Exels as well. The limbs maybe fine but often the exel can bend . I would also closely inspect the limbs. I had an inproperly worked on Bow end up with limb damage when the string slipped off the idler wheel. Dry firing is worse then that.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Take a cotton ball an "wipe" it along the limbs to see if it snags. If so, inspect that area for fine cracks. It is probably fine, just good to make sure.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Default dRY fIRE

I also learned the hard way. DON'T LET ANYONE PULL YOUR BOW BACK EVER!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 PM

If the Cam was bent it would be noticeable(right) I pull it back the cam looks fine no squeaks, The limbs look fine. The only thing that happend is the Peep sight that splits the string three times was only holding on by 2 of its notches and the third peace was out and on the other side. other than that it looks fine. It hasn't blown up yet. pulled it back lots since but haven't shot it.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
If the Cam was bent it would be noticeable(right) I pull it back the cam looks fine no squeaks, The limbs look fine. The only thing that happend is the Peep sight that splits the string three times was only holding on by 2 of its notches and the third peace was out and on the other side. other than that it looks fine. It hasn't blown up yet. pulled it back lots since but haven't shot it.
Should be fine then...put on some hockey gear and a welders mask and shoot it a few times!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 PM

I only let fellow archers draw mine, otherwise they are only allowed to hold and look.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Let a buddy draw mine last year- as he was saying "I know not to dry fire it", he did!!

Bent the axles and cracked both limbs. Very subtle cracks, but cracked none the less.

Look the limbs over VERY carefully.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 AM

G.D. mice chewed the string on my Xi Flatliner! Can't find any snags on the limbs, and the cams look ok. Now I just need to get it re-strung......
and see if I can even pull it back - haven't shot in like, almost ten years!

Windknot - hope everything is good with yours.

Later....
Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM

I think its all good. the limbs look good. How do you tell if the axles are bent. It doesn't squeak.It is a solo cam. I have been told that they don't have the shook as a twin cam bow. I remember when I bought my Matthews 3D Vapor. The Dealer said that a dry fire is easier on it than Twin cam bows.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I think its all good. the limbs look good. How do you tell if the axles are bent. It doesn't squeak.It is a solo cam. I have been told that they don't have the shook as a twin cam bow. I remember when I bought my Matthews 3D Vapor. The Dealer said that a dry fire is easier on it than Twin cam bows.
You could use a square, or pull the axles out and roll them on a flat surface, or put them in v blocks and use a dial indicator. If they are bent, it should be easy to see.

Mine was/is a single cam too.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Called Bear Archery, and the gentleman I spook to said that they dry fire them all the time to test them. Its not recommended but it does happen. They do it to see where the damage occurs in case a bow is sent in for warranty. And told me that the bow is probably fine, very rarely do they see damage after a dry fire. Check all Axles, Limbs, String, Riser damage for cracks. He said when they dry fire them in testing if something happens to the bow it is usually quiet visible. And Then he chuckled, what ever that means. By the sounds of how quick he answered my question he gets that phone call all the time.