Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2017, 05:49 AM

If everyone stopped watching those high paid sports people, how would they be high paid? Whether we like it or not, Trump was voted in! end of story!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
If everyone stopped watching those high paid sports people, how would they be high paid? Whether we like it or not, Trump was voted in! end of story!
LOL. Obviously, it is not the end of the story.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-27-2017, 06:56 AM
Banned

I don't know what to think ... but esky fan's should be bowing their head's in shame during the Canadian anthem !!!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Banned

93 posts and this is the best one!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Banned

The USA national anthem is never fully sung. Only the first part is, but there are four parts.

Guess what the third verse celebrates? The death of escaped slaves, being that members of the Colonial Marines, made up entirely of escaped slaves from the USA.

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/28/...on-of-slavery/

In the above article, the following:
So when Key penned “No refuge could save the hireling and slave / From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,” he was taking great satisfaction in the death of slaves who’d freed themselves. His perspective may have been affected by the fact he owned several slaves himself.

Some times we don't see the whole story. I certainly didn't, but then, I'm not a descendant of slaves.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 AM

I know I'd trade Trump for Trudeau anyday.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Give. Me. A. Break.

Racism was at its lowest point when a black president got elected. Since then everything has been about race.

When Obama sided with BLM any police brutality issue was nullified. You can't be president of a free country while supporting the group that calls for the killing of cops.

Want to see a racist organization? Look at BLM.

I support the players' right to protest, but the issue that they are protesting is pathetic at best, and probably self-inflicted according to hard data and crime stats.
Huh? A break from what? Go back and read my post, there is nothing in there speaking about Obama, weather on not racism is better or worse, nothing about killing of cops, the BLM or crime stats.

You seem to be going off on a completely different direction looking to counter a point that was never made.

Are you confused or just looking to sell tickets to a circus?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Banned

Buck em

Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 AM

What a world this would be if no one bothered to read each other's Twitter feeds...
Old 09-27-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
What a world this would be if no one bothered to read each other's Twitter feeds...
I read that Twitter is now conducting a trial to expand their character limit in each post to 280 because it is difficult to compress thoughts into the current 140.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I was at the 49ers vs Rams game last week and being there for the singing of the national anthem was one of the highlights.
I looked around as I took part and every last person in the stands was standing, singing or mouthing the words.
It didn't matter if they were rich, poor, black, white, Niners fan or Rams fan there was a mutual respect for there national anthem. Then two fighter jets buzzed the stadium just as the anthem ended.
It was a powerful experience.
I did not see players from either of those teams kneeling, however it was before Trumps comments.
This is why I'm disappointed with the kneeling. The anthem and flag are something that unite ALL of us. Doesn't matter if you rich, poor, black, white, male, female. The anthem and flag represent a general commonality that brings us all together in tough times. The kneeling just causes more division, and doesn't help anything.

Its especially aggravating seeing millionaires do it like they're oppressed. They have the means and stage to really make a difference, and decide to take a knee. Embarrassing
Old 09-27-2017, 10:09 AM

Kapernick must be smiling now but yet is he still unemployed in the NFL, why? It's not that he can't throw.

I feel Trump has it right(but went about it all wrong), protest all you want but not during the anthem. Your Nations anthem is the one thing that should unite, not disrespect. I think if any other leader would have had this opinion, it would be a whole different outcome. But because Trump said it, all heck breaks loose.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Kapernick must be smiling now but yet is he still unemployed in the NFL, why? It's not that he can't throw.

I feel Trump has it right(but went about it all wrong), protest all you want but not during the anthem. Your Nations anthem is the one thing that should unite, not disrespect. I think if any other leader would have had this opinion, it would be a whole different outcome. But because Trump said it, all heck breaks loose.
It is somewhat entertaining watching the left / anti Trumpers stumble over themselves.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
NASCAR is a sport where the overwhelming majority of the drivers have likely never been victims of police brutality, profiling or racism.

I wouldn't expect them to understand, or be compassionate to plights of those people who have endured what they have.

It just doesn't serve to demonstrate any plurality.
Quote:
Huh? A break from what? Go back and read my post, there is nothing in there speaking about Obama, weather on not racism is better or worse, nothing about killing of cops, the BLM or crime stats.

You seem to be going off on a completely different direction looking to counter a point that was never made.

You brought up issues that are commonly associated with race. I was pointing out that in general the NFL "protesters" are black, and one of their own is largely to blame for the (non)issue they are protesting. You know as well as I do that this whole situation is race-based. You need to look at the big picture - not just millionaires kneeling to get some attention. Obama, BLM, killing cops, police brutality?, it is all tied together.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:23 AM

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 09-27-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:48 AM

I love the NFL season and don't really care about Americans expressing their first amendment right but trump is an uneducated ego-maniac who I doubt will finish his term as potus. I don't understand how with all the millions of yanks that this fool is the best they could come up.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I love the NFL season and don't really care about Americans expressing their first amendment right but trump is an uneducated ego-maniac who I doubt will finish his term as potus. I don't understand how with all the millions of yanks that this fool is the best they could come up.
Their only other choice was Hillary....'nuff said.....
Old 09-27-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Their only other choice was Hillary....'nuff said.....
She's an idiot also. Can't wait until tomorrow, Thursday night football.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
She's an idiot also. Can't wait until tomorrow, Thursday night football.
or Saturday ... the Bomber's are gonna kick the esk's again !!!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
I don't know what to think ... but esky fan's should be bowing their head's in shame during the Canadian anthem !!!
I donno, we are only a few years removed from winning the Grey Cup, the Bombers haven't won since the TV broadcast switched over from black & White to colour television For reference MC Hammer was #1 on the charts. And in a 8 to 9 team league. Even the hapless green riders can win it once a decade. 27 years and counting, yikes!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I donno, we are only a few years removed from winning the Grey Cup, the Bombers haven't won since the TV broadcast switched over from black & White to colour television For reference MC Hammer was #1 on the charts. And in a 8 to 9 team league. Even the hapless green riders can win it once a decade. 27 years and counting, yikes!
Bomber's will be kickin arse on the weekend ... eskihomo's losing streak continue''s !!!:sHa_shakeshout :
Old 09-27-2017, 01:14 PM

I've read all of the posts so far. It's a real shame there wasn't this much discourse about the young girl being killed by a white supremacists but hey lets all **** ourselves over a group of sports people who are tired of innocent people being killed. People are very blind to the real reason so much is made of this.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Bomber's will be kickin arse on the weekend ... eskihomo's losing streak continue''s !!!:sHa_shakeshout :
Even if they did, 27 years!

That $20 bet offer from last game still stands.

The CFL should give the Brown Bombers a lifetime UNachievement award, a participation ribbon if you will. Give them SOMETHING to put in their trophy case
Old 09-27-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Even if they did, 27 years!

That $20 bet offer from last game still stands.

The CFL should give the Brown Bombers a lifetime UNachievement award, a participation ribbon if you will. Give them SOMETHING to put in their trophy case
You funny ... watch the esk's go down quicker than a crack ***** lookin for a quick buck !!!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:55 PM

sports is over rated support your troops.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
sports is over rated support your troops.
Yup ... just got my plate today !!!

AD5589

under 50 thousand sold ... order your's today ... at 85 buck's at least 50 buck's go's to help family's of military veteran's in Canada ... Thank's to all that have served !!!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:00 PM

I assume that most people who are opposed to these protests consider themselves conservative... but if you are in favour of the government infringing on a person's right to protest, I think you have to give your head a shake. Pure government overreach. You are free to stop watching, but for the president to be making statements calling for people he sees as political opponents to be fired by their employer is pure craziness to me.

As for the "keep politics out of sports" argument, overt displays of nationalism is a political statement. Having a 80 x 40 yard flag trotted out and military hardware flying overhead (paid for by the defense department as PR, by the way) is clearly supporting one ideological view: nationalism, jingoism, militarism, imperialism; call it what you want, but it is political.

As for the disrespecting the troops or the anthem argument, every athlete who is taking a knee has been clear from the beginning that is not what they are protesting. They are protesting inequality and police brutality in the country. If standing and holding your hat for the flag and anthem means, "I love this country", it is reasonable that a person who is standing up for citizens of that country who are being mistreated should be able to make a statement that says "this country isn't all good". Kaepernick, who started the protest, began by staying seated, and did not bring attention to the story until asked by a reporter. He later changed his action from staying sitting to kneeling after meeting with a Green Beret (who played one game in the NFL) who, like many other veterans, has come out in support of the right to protest as one of the fundamental rights that people fought for in the name of democracy.

Nate Boyer (the green beret kaepernick met with) article: http://www.armytimes.com/opinion/201...-long-snapper/
Old 09-27-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:

That's a good come back, that guy took a 90 Degree turn somewhere.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
That's a good come back, that guy took a 90 Degree turn somewhere.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:17 PM

I don't watch sports

I don't follow teams or own a jersey

When the anthem plays somewhere, I stand. If they don't, who cares.

If they want to protest, let them. They are athletes, not necessities