Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2022, 08:46 AM

Default Generac 2200i generators

Good day all, are there any members out there that have this gen? Have always been a Honda guy, but I have read some good reviews. I'm not planning on using it much. If I was going to use this gen a fair bit I'd bite the bullet and get the same size in a Honda. I do have a "buy once, cry once" rule, but I'm interested. If there is good feed back I'll role the dice. Thanks in advance for information on this specific unit.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:45 AM

Have used our Generac for a number of years camping and light work with no issues and they make good products for the price with quality almost at Honda level at this point. Still a bit noisier though but nothing like the old open frame units.

I am usually a buy it once guy too, but at 2.5 times the cost for a Honda I couldn't justify it. Maybe if it was a mission critical application or for heavy work, but still...
Old 11-08-2022, 11:07 AM

Default Thx

I appreciate the reply. What sized gen are you running?
Old 11-08-2022, 05:53 PM

Default Generac

Yes, I have one, after 5 years it probably has 40 hours on it. It has always worked well, and starts reliably. I only use it when we camp without power, so for that little bit of use I can’t possibly justify a Honda. Campsite thieves are also a concern, for a Generac they will probably leave your trailer alone, for a Honda they may very well bust into my trailer since I put it inside when we leave the site. A Honda is quieter, but the Generac is not what I would call noisy. I have no reason not to give it a positive recommendation! If you have A/C in your trailer it may not be big enough, though.
Got mine on sale for one quarter the cost of a comparable Honda. Watch online, I think that there may be some Black Friday deals on right now!
Old 11-08-2022, 06:17 PM

I have the 3000, very happy with it. Quiet, lighter then a honda and it cost me $1000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220506_162242_resized_2.jpg (29.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-08-2022, 08:52 PM

I’ve had a generac 2200i for a few years now that I use for camping and it’s been great. Very quiet, reliable, good on gas and can run my microwave in the trailer without a problem. I just bought a Yamaha 2400 watt generator this fall so that I can run my a/c on those really hot days in the future. If it wasn’t for that I would keep the generac since it’s quite a bit lighter and quieter as well.

Still have the generac if you’re interested in buying a used one with low hours…
Old 11-09-2022, 05:23 AM

Default Feedback

Thanks for all the feedback, it’s much appreciated. Based on your input I will try one out. Thanks again. Cory
Old 11-15-2022, 01:20 PM

I have a Hyundai 3500 remote start. They have smaller. I did a 2-15 minute and 1 45 minute break in before using it. It runs great. Bought from princess auto. If there is a problem their return policy is better than costco.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:49 AM

We are pooling some Xmas cash to get my son a small gen for ice fishing.
Any difference between the brands with starting & running in sub zero temps ?
I had a larger generac 5500 watt that I did an overhaul on as fuel sat for quite some time and varnished.. was surprised at the plastic parts that this gen was put together with.