Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Was reading this story at work on coffee.
Sign of the times, sucks there is little that will be done to curb this .
A good stompin on the knee while the perp is under the car might slow one or two down.
Rob
Old 12-13-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Pics and video does not seem to do much for getting thieves off the street either
They never do, they just allow you to watch the theft after the fact unless you have one that alerts you that someone is in your driveway, they you either take matters into your own hands or hope the police have impeccable response time, you gonna get stabbed or shot over a cat? I would risk it on principle alone.

My truck should be a beacon for these scumbags, 7" lift and 35" tires, working under that thing is a real treat, nothing but space to work. But my cat's have been hollowed out when they plugged up, maybe I should use a paint pen and write "hollowed out" on them?

I'm lucky and don't ever have to park it in ominous places or I'm sure they would be long gone. Might be a good time to cut them out and just straight pipe it, save myself some potential agervation.

If I did catch someone under there he's gonna have a REALLY bad day.

Me & 3 friends caught someone inside my X's truck at 3 am when we were returning from the bar many years ago. He was rehabilitated on the spot and shown the errors of his ways. Was a little worried he would return for some vengeance but he never did. It was the best night ever!
Old 12-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Pretty much EVERY part on a vehicle has a serial number. The Manufacturers have the reference for the serial numbers to the vehicles sold.

(That is how Criminals running a chop shop get convicted by the way!)

It is easy peasy to set up a sting, check the Serial #on the Cat against the VIN, and if the VIN has a reported stolen Cat, do the arrest.

Why do I always have to do the hard thinking???

Drewski
Drewski, I always enjoy your posts BUT there are NO serial numbers on CATS or on ANY part on the vehicle...You are good at what you do..I know what I'm talking about what I do..
Old 12-13-2019, 08:45 PM
Banned

Here is FUNNY from dealing with insurance claims for catalytic converter losses. Had a customer with a 2000 Honda CRV get her CAT cut off. I gave her an estimate of $500 for an aftermarket CAT cut out and weld in...Told her to check with insurance...They gave me a go ahead to use a FACTORY cat and installation for $1400?? On a 2000 CRV??
Old 12-13-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Drewski, I always enjoy your posts BUT there are NO serial numbers on CATS or on ANY part on the vehicle...You are good at what you do..I know what I'm talking about what I do..
I won’t speak for automotive, but heavy equipment is closer to what drewski says. The CEM is serialized. ECM’s all have serial numbers. All major component like engine, trans, hyd pumps, diffs etc. Most main control valves, some cylinders, and almost anything by a third party vendor. Like say wiper motors as CAT no longer builds their own. There are a lot of S/Ns on heavy equipment, I figured it would be the same on automotive. Having said that however, the main S/N is all we record at the dealership. CAT themselves only records the main components as well.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Claymore. You would just hear a bang, walk out to find a large fan shaped sprayed red driveway and a couple shoes 10-15 feet away.

If you video taped it and put it on the internet, this catalytic converter thievery would drop by 90% overnight.
Find a cat, hide a Claymore in it, arrange a sale with one of the travelling buyers, and set the timer. Turn a few of the buyers into a red mist and it will put 100's of sellers on the sidelines.

Gerry Burnie