Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 03:44 PM

Default MELT for Class 1 Licence

So I get a letter in the mail from the Alberta government a week ago stating that I am required to do the MELT (Mandatory Entry Level Training) in order to keep my Class 1 drivers licence. Says I have to first pass a written MELT knowledge test then after successfully passing the test I need to pay rental on a commercial truck & trailer and take the road test again. The letter states that because I was issued my Alberta Class 1 within 5 months of the new law coming into effect I am required to do these above 2 things. Well I just moved to Alberta a little over a year ago from Saskatchewan. I’ve had my Class 1 licence since 2010 in Sask. All I did was transfer my licence when I moved to Alberta it’s not like I was just issued a Class 1 for the first time. I sent them an email a few days ago with my questions as to why I am required to do this MELT training when I have had my Class 1 for almost 10 years. But still waiting for a reply back from them. Anyone else affected by this?
Old 12-13-2019, 06:01 PM

i would ask whoever contracted you " if you still lived in Saskatchewan and were driving through alberta with a tractor trailer would you have to stop at the border and take the test ? "

bureaucracy sucks , i feel for you .
Old 12-13-2019, 08:42 PM

Same thing happened to me when I moved to Saskatchewan in 1997. I had just got my Class 3 in Alberta 5 months prior to moving and after a few months decided to switch everything over to Saskatchewan. Local SGI registry office told me that since my license was only 8 months old, their system showed that I was new driver and they could not help me. I had to go back to Alberta and get a driver’s experience record (or something like that) and then I went right to head office in Regina to get everything fixed. The local registry office were idiots to deal with.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:07 PM

Default 5 months

So you qualified for your license 5 months ago but they want to test you again now? The first time they were just kidding? It was just for practice? What a joke.
kidd
Old 12-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
So you qualified for your license 5 months ago but they want to test you again now? The first time they were just kidding? It was just for practice? What a joke.
kidd
I actually just moved provinces so was tested in 2010 back in Saskatchewan and have been driving with a Class 1 licence for 9 1/2 years. It is a joke. No phone number to call only an email. I emailed a week ago now and haven’t heard anything back yet. Sent a follow up email again today.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Might be worth getting in touch with AMTA. They're not a government agency but they may be able to give you some advice or get you in touch with the right people. I've called them with general questions about hours of service and load securement and they've been responsive, friendly and helpful.

1-800-267-1003

www.amta.ca

Last edited by ssyd; 12-17-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Thanks ssyd. Will give them a call tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:30 PM

Obviously lost in the cracks of beuocracy. No way you should have to do that. I'd think you have to talk to the right people, whoever they are! Just keep asking questions and ask for supervisors. Go straight to your MLA if you nees to.