Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 08:32 AM

Default Exterra

Experience with 1st generation Nissan Xterra. 3.3L V6 non supercharged. Looking for real life opinions on one for hunting and ice fishing. Have had 2 Geo trackers over the years with great luck, but have sold them. Now I have purchased a 2003 Xterra and have put a few hundred kilometers on it and everything seems to work as it should. Cons so far are narrow front seating area and smaller fuel tank but still goes 500km on a tank which is not a deal breaker.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:23 AM

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...an_xterra.html

I have not owned one but they sure appear to have many complaints.

Couple people close to me have had bad luck with them.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:32 AM

Step daughter lost her transmission while in a Car Wash Bay
Old 12-12-2019, 11:18 AM

I would personally lean toward a 2001-2004 Pathfinder. That 3.5l is absolutely bulletproof, and they have timing chains instead of belts.

I have a 2002 SE with 270k on it - beyond regular maintenance have had zero issues. Great off-road as well with some chunkier tires.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Stick with either 2001-2004 vintage or post-2010 and find one that’s been well cared for. There’s lots of info online about the problems with incorporating the auto tranny cooler in the radiator. Leaks would develop and fluids would mix, causing catastrophic tranny failure. Super bad design. 2005-2008 were the worst. Pretty much resolved by 2010. The first generation 3.3 motors are very durable, but relatively weak for the weight of vehicle. Great off-road. Finding a pre-2005 with low km’s and in very good shape isn’t easy, but if you get lucky, you’ll have a winner.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Experience with 1st generation Nissan Xterra. 3.3L V6 non supercharged. Looking for real life opinions on one for hunting and ice fishing. Have had 2 Geo trackers over the years with great luck, but have sold them. Now I have purchased a 2003 Xterra and have put a few hundred kilometers on it and everything seems to work as it should. Cons so far are narrow front seating area and smaller fuel tank but still goes 500km on a tank which is not a deal breaker.
Lots of information here, some good thoughts, some bad thoughts. Here's mine:

I had an '03 3.3L non-supercharged automatic SE, bought it used in '05. Put 360,000 on that (had 20,000km when I got it) and the wife was sitting at a red light when the timing belt let go at about 235,000km. Got it repaired by a friend and luckily it lasted to the 380,000 mark. When I traded it off on my current vehicle, the main reason was I was irritated by the squeal from the alternator belt. Replaced the front rotors and pads at 274,000. Other than that, I feel I got lucky that I didn't have any tranny issues or anything like that. As far as I know (i might be wrong on this) the Xterra and the Frontier share the same running gear for those years?

With the right tires, you might be able to go certain places but I don't feel it has the ground clearance needed to get everywhere. While hunting one wintery day, I knocked down a nice Whitetail Buck and drove up to him and threw him in the back. Little bit cramped in there, but he fit.

My comments are the same as yours Dogfish - slim front seats, fuel tank could be bigger or better fuel mileage. The 3.3L is slightly under powered for the weight of the vehicle, but I was never driving it in a race to begin with. As long as you keep the right foot under control, you might squeak into the low 20 MPG range.

The son was disappointed when I traded it off as he really wanted it, but it would not have passed inspection without a bunch of work.

My current vehicle (2015 Jeep) seems to have more storage room in it that the '03 Xterra and the front seats are wider. I can fit in the drivers seat with heavy camo on, but couldn't squeeze into the Xterra with the same clothes on.

12 years in that vehicle was long enough. It was time to move into something a little more spacious with 4X capabilities (hence going back to a Jeep). But to be honest, if I could have gotten rid of the squeal from the belt upon startup, I might have kept it another year or two. It certainly didn't owe me anything.

J.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:53 PM

Don’t buy one! Go pathfinder if your set on Nissan. If it were me I’d be looking at a 1999-2004 Tacoma
Old 12-13-2019, 07:52 AM

Maybe the early 2000s X is ok, but like others have said stay away from an 05-10. We have a gently used 07 that lost 5th gear in the auto (not from rad issue, I changed that out in preparation, OD just died because it felt like it), and now has a loud tick when warm. It sits in the backyard and has for 6 months, but she loves it and wants it fixed. 240k on it.

Had a 07 murano before this, trans died 204k, then headgasket, intake gasket at 220k. Bailed on it to buy the X

She drives my beater 98 Accord now, hates it but guess what? 290k and it keeps going.

i see some 300k plus early X models for sale, so they must do ok but rarely a newer one without major repairs or needing work. Beware.

Edit: a pathfinder as mentioned might be decent, and should be cheap.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:31 PM

Like most Nissans they're gas pigs. Antiquated 4x4 system as well. Uncomfortable seats, etc etc. Basically youre driving a brick down the highway for aerodynamics so hopefully you font hit a headwind. Brother had two of them. Older Pathfinders were a much better vehicle but they were gas pigs as well.

Toyota makes a much better vehicle but you probably know that already.