Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 06:52 AM

Default Wolfmasters for coyotes.

I recently bought another bunch of rams off a guy and there were some wolfmasters in the mix. I don't target wolves but am curious how they'll nuke coyotes. Anyone have experience with them on yappers? I run 5/64" so I've always felt like my coyote rams don't have quite enough power in some scenarios. 5/64" doesn't cut through the fur quite like 1/16" does so it takes a bit longer to knock them out I find.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:10 AM

I use the wolfmaster with 1/16 1x19 cable on coyotes, it works great, very little signs of strugle. Less refusal also, they don't seem to see the cable with a bigger loop.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:08 AM
AO Sponsor

Nuke
Old 11-28-2019, 06:34 AM

Default wolfmaster for coyotes

I've been using Wolf Masters exclusively for the last 4 year and run about 8o of these. I've only used 1/16 cable during the whole time.

Since I've been using them I've incorporated two aluminum sleeves that are back to back (longer sleeves are available today) with a flat washer for loading the RAM. Prior snares with one aluminum sleeve occasionally slipped on the very thin cable.

Over the years I've had occasional body catches that killed the coyote but have also had occasional chew-offs and sometimes wondered if 5/32 cable might provide extra insurance.

I've had minimal forgetful events when I forgot to remove the safety latch or not tying the RAM to a secure object and having to track the caught coyote.

One of my favorite tasks is always tying a small orange ribbon to the top of one arm so that I can see it from a distance. Ribbons that aren't visible indicate a discharge / catch. The ribbon is in addition to a larger ribbon tied to a branch or tree above the set location.

Always leave an upright chin-stick in the middle of the trail directly under the set snare.

I make my own steel stands... constructed of 2 inch x 1/8 in. angle iron x 2 in long with a 5 inch long x 5/16 inch cold rolled spike. Angle iron that is thinner will crush when pounding the RAMs coil spring onto the stand. The spike has to be high quality steel otherwise it will bend or brake with frozen ground. These get lost in the snow at set locations and considering a short flexible connector that attached to the arm

I've been unloading the RAMs springs during the off season.

Purchased 13 RAMs in September, took them out of the packaging and laid them on the ground to rust-up in loaded position. Came back November first to find one had a broken arm at the coil spring. Intend to take it back for a hopeful replacement since it was never used.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
I've been using Wolf Masters exclusively for the last 4 year and run about 8o of these. I've only used 1/16 cable during the whole time.

Since I've been using them I've incorporated two aluminum sleeves that are back to back (longer sleeves are available today) with a flat washer for loading the RAM. Prior snares with one aluminum sleeve occasionally slipped on the very thin cable.

Over the years I've had occasional body catches that killed the coyote but have also had occasional chew-offs and sometimes wondered if 5/32 cable might provide extra insurance.

I've had minimal forgetful events when I forgot to remove the safety latch or not tying the RAM to a secure object and having to track the caught coyote.

One of my favorite tasks is always tying a small orange ribbon to the top of one arm so that I can see it from a distance. Ribbons that aren't visible indicate a discharge / catch. The ribbon is in addition to a larger ribbon tied to a branch or tree above the set location.

Always leave an upright chin-stick in the middle of the trail directly under the set snare.

I make my own steel stands... constructed of 2 inch x 1/8 in. angle iron x 2 in long with a 5 inch long x 5/16 inch cold rolled spike. Angle iron that is thinner will crush when pounding the RAMs coil spring onto the stand. The spike has to be high quality steel otherwise it will bend or brake with frozen ground. These get lost in the snow at set locations and considering a short flexible connector that attached to the arm

I've been unloading the RAMs springs during the off season.

Purchased 13 RAMs in September, took them out of the packaging and laid them on the ground to rust-up in loaded position. Came back November first to find one had a broken arm at the coil spring. Intend to take it back for a hopeful replacement since it was never used.

can you please post a picture of your snare, I don't think I clearly understand your double sleeve set up.

Thanks