Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Default Bighorn Public land to Parks land proposal

I know this has been discussed s little on here but thought I”d try to bring it back to the forefront.
Am I right in understanding this would severely limit the available land that we hunters, trappers, and fishermen would have access to?
I am all for the stewardship, conservation, and protection of Wild land and wildlife (as I’m sure everyone on this forum is), And I’m all for efforts and regulations to mitigate those who abuse the land...... but I am not a fan of this.
I posted a link to one article, there are a bunch of meetings being held around the province as well and I’ve posted a picture of when and where those are.
Heres the news article:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...ecreation.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 12:35 PM

Another take
https://www.backcountryhunters.org/livingstone

Old 12-06-2018, 12:53 PM

I really see no use in attending such meetings , the stakeholders are a one sided group , hug a tree and save a politician , we as recreational users have no input whatsoever .
I'm sorry to be doubtful but I have yet to see anything happen ,except for what has been proposed by the government and the indigenous stakeholders .
Give up and just take it for what it is .
Your words are not heard like a silent fart in the wind ,raise a stink but after the smell is gone its a faded memory .
It has been argued in all proposed areas and yet they exist and are regulated to death .
Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 PM

sorry but I think it is a waste of time they are going to push it thought no matter what
Old 12-06-2018, 01:03 PM

Default Bighorn wildland park

The really sad part is they have already started putting signs up so much for there public consultations
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181206-130120.jpg (26.7 KB, 458 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:21 PM
Banned

ive found the facebook group capla- coalition of albertans for public land access has been pretty good for info on this subject.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopithorne View Post
The really sad part is they have already started putting signs up so much for there public consultations
exactly ,. all of this was set in stone before any public notices were posted ot the general public was involved .
Our words are useless.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
Another take
https://www.backcountryhunters.org/livingstone

backpack hunters association. BHA

AKA. front-men for Y2Y
Old 12-06-2018, 01:59 PM

Be prepared to lose access to alot of this area. Hunters in zone 400 lost access to 80% of this area in a few short years that is now the so called Castle Park. Hunters are squeezed in a small areas that are crowded. If you have access to horses it is okay, if not your lifestyle will change. More change coming. Local users groups had no input. Need to get NDP gone.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
Be prepared to lose access to alot of this area. Hunters in zone 400 lost access to 80% of this area in a few short years that is now the so called Castle Park. Hunters are squeezed in a small areas that are crowded. If you have access to horses it is okay, if not your lifestyle will change. More change coming. Local users groups had no input. Need to get NDP gone.
Are you saying that 80% of the area is now no hunting or are you saying 80% is no ATV's? I live near and spend a significant amount of time hunting in the proposed park, so I am very interested.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post

AKA. front-men for Y2Y
What is Y2Y?
Old 12-06-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post

AKA. front-men for Y2Y
Yup!!! Backcountry Hunters and Anglers= Green Decoys!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler_nation View Post
What is Y2Y?
Yellowstone to Yukon. Foreign based and funded with a goal to keep you out of your own backyard.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
What is Y2Y?

Y2Y, yellow stone to Yukon, is an organization fighting for untouched protected unfenced land for animals to use/migrate from yellow stone to yukon....so far as I understand it. There is a pretty good podcast episode Highlander Hunting does, interviews a BHA guy...fairly informative. From what I understand and read BHA does a fair bit to keep land protected but public, ie, open for hunters and anglers.
I simply wanted to post this as I have barely heard/seen anything about this...maybe I’ve been living with my head in the sand but to find out now; I’m pretty frustrated (and as I figured I’m not alone. ) most I’ve heard or read is from the none-hunting crowd who are in favour of it. They have nothing to lose.
I agree there’s little that we (average joeor jill) can change, no matter how many things you sign...but is there someone more knowledgeable and connected that has a better answer or idea?

Old 12-06-2018, 03:28 PM

Here is some info on Y2Y

http://caapla.weebly.com/articles/who-is-y2y-the-truth
Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas N View Post
Yellowstone to Yukon. Foreign based and funded with a goal to keep you out of your own backyard.
And Back Country Hunters and Anglers is a front for this organization?
Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 PM

There is a video on the BHA Facebook Page right now, this issue is being taken up in legislation. Can’t figure how to share it here. It’s worth the watch.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Some would argue that. My experience has been to the contrary...they advocate for protection of public land yes, which may step on toes (quad bans for instance) but they advocate for public land, ie, keeping access open for hunters and anglers. My two cense. Highlander hunting interview of bha is worth checking out.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Straight from the Y2Y website.

https://y2y.net/work/who-with-our-partners/partners-a-g
Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Some would argue that. My experience has been to the contrary...they advocate for protection of public land yes, which may step on toes (quad bans for instance) but they advocate for public land, ie, keeping access open for hunters and anglers. My two cense. Highlander hunting interview of bha is worth checking out.

I am just confused because when you look at the individuals (Randy Newberg, Steve Rinella, Remi Warren, Joe Rogan) and the organizations (Seek outside, Schnees, Yeti, First Lite) who support BHA I am a bit suspicious that anyone could say they are an anti-hunting front for Y2Y. It just doesn't really seem to hold water.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
So does that mean they are front for Y2Y or just an organization with aligned interests on one particular issue? I mean I am still wading through all this before I form my opinion, but it certainly seems ignorant at best or misleading at worst to suggest that a hunting based conservation group with as much prominent support as what BHA appears to have is merely front for this y2y outfit.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So does that mean they are front for Y2Y or just an organization with aligned interests on one particular issue? I mean I am still wading through all this before I form my opinion, but it certainly seems ignorant at best or misleading at worst to suggest that a hunting based conservation group with as much prominent support as what BHA appears to have is merely front for this y2y outfit.
That’s for you to decide. There’s lots of info out there. I brought that up wth a quick good search.

There are a lot of Green Decoy groups out there that look like they support hunting, fishing, etc, but have other agendas.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:

You hit the nail on the head.
Again highlander huntings interview of bha clarifies a lot, and the video on bha’s fb page of their legislative address is worth watching. Bha has kept a lot of land from privatization and open for hunting in the states. They are a newer organization here in Alberta.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:54 PM

It may be a waste of time to show up, but in recent events, enough people have voiced concern and had to be heard. If thousands of people show up and voice their concern, the media will be there to add fuel to the fire under the NDP's feet. I think it's worthwhile to show up... you won't change anything by sitting on your couch
Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

There are a lot of Green Decoy groups out there that look like they support hunting, fishing, etc, but have other agendas.
Bingo!

And Y2Y is most certainly anti hunting, if any of you don’t believe it, dig deeper. And yes, BHA is affiliated with Y2Y.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I can assure you the article posted on that link was not written up by the BHA, though they are pushing the propaganda given to them by ??????

yes, they advocate for protection of public land and squarely put OHV users as causing most/all of the back country destruction.. Why not ranchers and the overgrazing of riparian areas? oh right, that doesn't interfere with their hunting/fishing activities, so that's ok.

no problem, there will come a day when these x-men wanna be's get old and decrepit, and will not be able to access the back country they so passionately guarded against the OHV invasion. hope they like playing hunting video games cause that's the closest they are gonna get to their backpack hunting experience then.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:10 PM
Banned

https://www.watchdog.org/news/sports...e73d49333.html
Old 12-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Kinda derailed a touch...the issue is Alberta losing tons of available hunting access to parks. Is there anything to be done.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Who funds Watchdog.org?
Old 12-06-2018, 04:41 PM

From the y to y website

https://cpawsnab.org/loveyourheadwaters/

Not good for Us back country hunters