Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 09:40 AM

Default firearms can’t be shipped by Canada post now

a few weeks back gun owners were supposed to register with Canada post to print labels to send their guns

3 weeks ago the gunsmiths were told by rcmp that no longer can they ship by Canada post for any firearm
am waiting for a copy of that letter from a gunsmith I asked yesterday to confirm

he.now uses loom is and they need to check for a trigger Leo, that it is unloaded and then you repack the gun in their presence or in your car and bring it back, if you go home you start again

and it is 165 to ship from Alberta to Ontario for a rifle in 54 inch cardboard case. Great

so you need tape, a label and so on what a load of crap

can anyone confirm this new so called procedure?

I should have a copy of the letter in the next few days

Cement Bench
Old 08-01-2020, 09:48 AM

I ran into this a few weeks back. If you go to the Canada Post website it's actually not that hard to do. You end up with a small business account and print the label off on a home printer. You have to measure the package and weigh it yourself. I took it into the post office and paid, and they put into the mail with no questions. It was less hassle than I thought it would be, but I agree it's annoying.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I ran into this a few weeks back. If you go to the Canada Post website it's actually not that hard to do. You end up with a small business account and print the label off on a home printer. You have to measure the package and weigh it yourself. I took it into the post office and paid, and they put into the mail with no questions. It was less hassle than I thought it would be, but I agree it's annoying.
It’s pretty hard to do if the RCMP say you can’t.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-01-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The RCMP have said a lot of things.
Many which have no basis on facts.

I will wait until I see an actual document.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I just followed what the lady in the post office told me to do.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
a few weeks back gun owners were supposed to register with Canada post to print labels to send their guns

3 weeks ago the gunsmiths were told by rcmp that no longer can they ship by Canada post for any firearm
am waiting for a copy of that letter from a gunsmith I asked yesterday to confirm

he.now uses loom is and they need to check for a trigger Leo, that it is unloaded and then you repack the gun in their presence or in your car and bring it back, if you go home you start again

and it is 165 to ship from Alberta to Ontario for a rifle in 54 inch cardboard case. Great

Cement Bench

$165!?! Holy smokes, that can’t be!
Old 08-01-2020, 11:28 AM

I used to flip and horse trade 5 or so rifles a month back in the day. Canada Post was great for this except for the one time they left a Fabrique National Herstal in .257 Rigby on my porch......

This sucks if they won’t allow us to ship via Canada Post anymore.....
Old 08-01-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I just followed what the lady in the post office told me to do.
And you didn’t read the time line of the OP.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-01-2020, 02:58 PM

Years ago I was a sub contractor hauling mail for Canada post in a semi. Anyway during one of their strikes the had temp workers filling in. I remember security was nothing back then. I remember big bins of firearms sitting on loading docks. Restricted to because you could tell by the size of the boxes.
I dont know if I would want to ship something valuable with them or not. Even their regular workers where rough and didn't care.
If a letter fell on the floor they wouldn't even bend over to pick it up. Somebody else's job!
They made big money to for what they where doing. Most of them always mad and unhappy. What a place.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:25 PM

This is what is posted on their site as of now, seems pretty simple, maybe the gunsmith was talking about restricted/prohibs ?

Canada:

Please contact the Canadian Firearms Program at https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms or by calling 1-800-731-4000 to determine whether it is permissible to ship your firearms.

When it is determined permissible to ship firearms, they must be shipped as follows:

Customer Type
Service To Be Used
Consumer
Regular Parcel with Signature option.
Due to changes to our delivery processes for COVID-19, all firearms must be shipped by Regular or Expedited Parcel and include the Proof of Age option. Consumers have to open a Solutions for Small Business account and create labels for shipping firearms using the online shipping tool, Snap Ship.
Contract customer
Expedited Parcel with the Proof of Age (18 or 19) option using EST. Visit Section Mail addressed to children of Policies for an age of majority by province or territory listing.
Customers who wish to ship firearms must:

unload the firearms - there cannot be any ammunition in the firearm or in the package (bullets, cartridges and other ammunition are dangerous goods)
attach a secure locking device to the firearms
lock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container, and
remove the bolt or bolt carrier from any automatic firearms (if removable).
Firearms cannot be shipped via air and cannot have any markings on the outside of the packaging. The customer is solely responsible for meeting all Canadian Firearms Centre regulations
Old 08-01-2020, 04:30 PM

Shipped a new Tikka T3x stainless last week to BC. $38. Zero issues other than it being 2 days slower than the norm.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:26 PM

Just shipped a couple last week and $35 to BC and $40 to Toronto from Winnipeg ,plus I just made a purchased from a store in Alberta 35 flat rate and 2 bucks per hundred for insurance, this guy is well known and he would know because there shipping every day.

JD
Old 08-01-2020, 07:21 PM

Since when can the RCMP determine the shipping method. I don’t buy into this.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:18 AM

Default No letter

We have received no such notice from anyone regarding shipping as a Gunsmith shop.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:48 AM

when he gets back Wednesday I will call him to get a copy of the letter,
Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 AM

Rethinking this whole thing and I have never declared any of my shipments as a firearm when they were a firearm. Why tell them what it is. I never did come to think of it....
Old 08-02-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Rethinking this whole thing and I have never declared any of my shipments as a firearm when they were a firearm. Why tell them what it is. I never did come to think of it....
in the last 20 years most post offices know when you bring in the 52 by 14 by 6 box and it weighs about 17 pounds it is a rifle , duh

also if they don’t like guns or see you a lot they will ask now or could

just asking as if it is true and a rifle I send out east gets stopped or confiscated and someone is out 4 grand the fireworks begin,

risk is on the buyer and to lose a nice rifle is not fair to our group

just trying to get to the bottom of this as sometimes rcmp play with us
case in point the 10/22 mag fiasco
Old 08-02-2020, 11:37 AM

CP doesn't say you can't ship? Athough the rules have changed

Due to changes to our delivery processes for COVID-19, all firearms must be shipped by Regular or Expedited Parcel and include the Proof of Age option. Consumers have to open a Solutions for Small Business account and create labels for shipping firearms using the online shipping tool, Snap Ship.
Contract customer
Expedited Parcel with the Proof of Age (18 or 19) option using EST. Visit Section Mail addressed to children of Policies for an age of majority by province or territory listing.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/m...-e.asp#1389620
Old 08-02-2020, 12:08 PM

that was my understanding a few weeks ago

gunsmith says it has recently changed with this letter from rcmp, hope to get a copy later this week

thanks for the post it is what I was referring to a month ago or so change in Canada post procedure, sent it on the federal mp the next day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
CP doesn't say you can't ship? Athough the rules have changed

Contract customer

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/m...-e.asp#1389620
Old 08-02-2020, 02:04 PM

The small business account, once set Up, is actually quite easy. And you get expedited parcel service for the same price as regular.

You don't need to print a label. They can scan it on your phone and print it for you

Colin
Old 08-02-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
in the last 20 years most post offices know when you bring in the 52 by 14 by 6 box and it weighs about 17 pounds it is a rifle , duh

also if they don’t like guns or see you a lot they will ask now or could

just asking as if it is true and a rifle I send out east gets stopped or confiscated and someone is out 4 grand the fireworks begin,

risk is on the buyer and to lose a nice rifle is not fair to our group

just trying to get to the bottom of this as sometimes rcmp play with us
case in point the 10/22 mag fiasco

Lol.... post offices are manned by the 16 year olds that stock the drug stores or grocery stores that the post offices are afixed to though now. Those kids don’t have a clue.....
Old 08-02-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Cement Bench
as seen on nutters to this exact post.

it really doesn't matter if there was a letter or not. Even though they seem to think otherwise

The RCMP DOES NOT MAKE LAW

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.../FullText.html

Quote:

Shipping by Post
16 An individual may ship a firearm by posting it only if

(a) the firearm is a non-restricted firearm, restricted firearm or prohibited handgun;

(b) the destination is within Canada; and

(c) the firearm is posted using the most secure means of transmission by post that is offered by the Canada Post Corporation that includes the requirement to obtain a signature on delivery.

SOR/2004-277, s. 4

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.../FullText.html

Quote:
Shipping by Post
15 A business may ship a firearm by posting it only if

(a) the firearm is a non-restricted firearm, restricted firearm or prohibited handgun;

(b) the destination is within Canada; and

(c) the firearm is posted using the most secure means of transmission by post that is offered by the Canada Post Corporation that includes the requirement to obtain a signature on delivery.

SOR/2004-278, s. 5
I hope this resolves your issue. Let me also point out the law specifically names Canada post and not other shipping company. I know for a fact that Fedex does not ship firearms or firearms parts they are considered "non shippable" for them unsure of other couriers rules.

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/shipping.../firearms.html