Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 11:35 AM
Banned

Default Is ultraviolet light in our homes safe?

I have a ultraviolet light installed in my furnace as an extra level of protection against germs and bacteria etc.
I’m not fully confident that it is safe to have in my house really. I’ve looked at the specs on the light I use which is a swordfish from Cambodian Tire. Their web sight states that it does not produce ozone which is good! However, my main concern is the production of phosgene gas from sources like Bleach, fabric softeners and soaps etc.
The light is installed in the furnace next to the washer and dryer so there is obvious perfume vapours etc entering the ventilation system. I don’t remember how it all works but I do know how U/V light reacts with Oils and cleaners which in turn could produce chlorinated hydrocarbons.

What’s your take on this? If you know the perimeters well is it worth keeping on in your opinion? There really isn’t a better time for this topic unfortunately.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I have a ultraviolet light installed in my furnace as an extra level of protection against germs and bacteria etc.
I’m not fully confident that it is safe to have in my house really. I’ve looked at the specs on the light I use which is a swordfish from Cambodian Tire. Their web sight states that it does not produce ozone which is good! However, my main concern is the production of phosgene gas from sources like Bleach, fabric softeners and soaps etc.
The light is installed in the furnace next to the washer and dryer so there is obvious perfume vapours etc entering the ventilation system. I don’t remember how it all works but I do know how U/V light reacts with Oils and cleaners which in turn could produce chlorinated hydrocarbons.

What’s your take on this? If you know the perimeters well is it worth keeping on in your opinion? There really isn’t a better time for this topic unfortunately.
You wasted a lot of money.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:11 PM

UV filters are pretty common on new HVAC systems. We have one too - it supposed to kill airborne pathogens which are potentially more harmful compared to the concerns you've mentioned.

After all, according to an expert of all things, having UV lights inside your body kills covid.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:13 PM

Exclamation UV-C, Don't watch it, you'll go blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlyretired View Post
You wasted a lot of money.
If you installed a swordfish from Cambodia in your furnace duct, wouldn't you want to know if your Febreze was up to the challenge?

OP- it's important to maintain a secure perimeter.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-01-2020, 10:01 AM

Default UV

Just my thoughts, if the UV successfully kills all pathogens including corona, you would mainly be protecting your family from your family members in your home. It seems much higher risk is when in public. Wear a mask best odds to reduce infection. PS Some of the other secondary concerns from UV are minor compared to corona.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post

Your furnace gets air from outside or return air vents. There is minimal seepage where the light is likely placed, before the air filter.

Likely the light is not high powered enough, there is only minimal very low dose amounts of the chemicals you're concerned about, the light doesn't have long enough exposure to cause the chemical reaction, the filter traps the particles, or in the case of the furnace being on they are simply burned off to more stable less toxic compounds.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:05 AM

Personally, I think such items are overkill and you’ll be weakening your immune system by having it.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Personally, I think such items are overkill and you’ll be weakening your immune system by having it.
Agreed, we have enough allergy issues as it is.

Grizz
Old 08-01-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Agreed, we have enough allergy issues as it is.

Grizz
They may have a place for those with compromised immune systems, but to for the bulk of society, they’d probably prove to be a net negative if everyone had them.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:40 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I’m going to leave it turned off now I’ve had it installed since I bought my house 8 years ago but it hadn’t been running for a couple years As the bulb burnt and I left it.

Funny story for you all

I picked up a new bulb A couple of days before I posted this and figured I’d sanitize my groceries and house with it while the wife and kid were out. I had to rig it up funny as it wasn’t designed to run outside your furnace . It worked fabulously and I even stuck it in my vehicles while I was at it. Anyways lol I’m sure you all know I’m a welder and I’m very used to bright light so I figured I’d just grab a pair of glasses that I knew protect your eyes from UV light. Well let me tell you! I’ve never been flashed that bad in my life! It was very painful and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who has the bright idea! Maybe leave the room, sure but don’t walk around with the darn thing like I did. My eyes watered for a day straight and my allergies were through the roof! Foaming and snotting all over the place!

I was a darn mess lol
Old 08-02-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
That could be a concern if it was 100% effective at scrubbing all the air, but, let's be honest, your home is not hermetically sealed nor is it a class 2000 clean room - so no matter what, if someone is in your house coughing and sneezing, yes, it will drastically reduce the airborne flyers but won't eliminate them.

The HUGE advantage in favor of UV is for things your body CAN'T fight - like black mold spores and things like that.

UV filtration seems to be a good idea to me.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:59 PM

We used UV on our fish tank water. They were happy campers
Old 08-02-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That could be a concern if it was 100% effective at scrubbing all the air, but, let's be honest, your home is not hermetically sealed nor is it a class 2000 clean room - so no matter what, if someone is in your house coughing and sneezing, yes, it will drastically reduce the airborne flyers but won't eliminate them.

The HUGE advantage in favor of UV is for things your body CAN'T fight - like black mold spores and things like that.

UV filtration seems to be a good idea to me.
The mold I could see it being a benefit, but then why does the home have mold? Fixing the issue that created it is the obvious action.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
The mold I could see it being a benefit, but then why does the home have mold? Fixing the issue that created it is the obvious action.
Not all molds (or pathogens) originate within the house - and obviously, if you have that issue, you need to fix it.

My son has allergies (he's moved out now) but, when he used to live with us, particularly in the spring it would start with the snow mold then then a few weeks of relief then the pollen, and other stuff too - stuff that doesn't originate necessarily in the house. We had "lived with it" for the first 20 years of his life just thinking "it is what it is" and relied on hepa filtration units in the house (but they don't scrub as much air).

He used to have to take Claritin for a few weeks everyday a few times a year. And periodically throughout the year.

We happened to re-do the furnaces a few years ago and had the UV unit installed - it was immediate, instant and dramatically better for him. Literally overnight. Amazing.

They work. Without a doubt. My only regret was that we didn't do it sooner.