Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 12:33 AM

Default Alberta to allow direct farm-to-consumer meat sales under new rules

The province has changed its regulations so consumers can buy individual animals from ranchers and have the meat processed on site.

Under current rules, all animals have to be processed in a provincially approved slaughterhouse

Updated regulations, announced Wednesday by Agriculture and Forestry Minister Devin Dreeshen, will allow the slaughter and processing of an animal on site.

The work can be done by a licensed mobile butcher, or the producer themselves, if they obtain their own butchering licence.

Dreeshen said that will help producers sell to consumers who are interested in supporting their local food industry.

"The unique part of these regulation changes is that they can sell directly to a consumer," he said. "So the meat essentially from an animal, the animal itself, is being sold to a consumer."

Small producers and hunters have called for these changes. Some argue slaughtering an animal on site is more humane than the measures used in large industrial abattoirs.

Earlier this year, Dreeshen's ministry carried out consultations about the possibility of farm-to-consumer sales.

The COVID-19 pandemic heightened consumer concerns about the safety of the food supply, particularly after outbreaks at the province's two large meat processing plants.

The changes also speeds up the process when an animal needs to be put down for humane reasons. Inspections can be done via video instead of having to be done in-person by a provincial inspector.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...r9khEzdR9jBtqM
Old 07-30-2020, 01:33 AM

Great news!
Old 07-30-2020, 05:34 AM

Default changes

2 ways to buy direct:
1. Basically, this is a farm direct sale of a whole animal. The changes allow for the animal to be sold to someone and their direct family, not to be entered into the retail or wholesale trade.
2.The video salvage of downed cattle has been in the works for many years. This allows a producer to recieve some value out of animals that have been compromised, but are still good for the food chain, such as when they break a leg during loading onto trailers. These animals still have to be handled by a licensed facility, but previous rules didn't allow for any salvage without a vet on site. Now it can be done using cell phone footage to connect with certified departments. This method does allow for further sale of that meat to the public.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:38 AM

Awesome!
Old 07-30-2020, 08:27 AM

For Clarity, does this change allow a consumer to buy an animal from the rancher, have the rancher (or the consumer) kill the animal and then the consumer can take the animal home to butcher themselves?

It appears that it reads as thought the butchering has to be done on site at the farm or ranch.

I hope is the former where the consumer can take the animal home and self butcher. Have had several requests for this.

DR
Old 07-30-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
For Clarity, does this change allow a consumer to buy an animal from the rancher, have the rancher (or the consumer) kill the animal and then the consumer can take the animal home to butcher themselves?

It appears that it reads as thought the butchering has to be done on site at the farm or ranch.

I hope is the former where the consumer can take the animal home and self butcher. Have had several requests for this.

DR
Not many people are equipped to take the animal away and deal with it, including waste disposal, which can be as much as half the weight. Then there's that butchering license requirement. Better to hire a mobile butcher and let him deal with it. We have a couple around here now. Announcement is a bit of a surprise to me.

Grizz
Old 07-30-2020, 09:14 AM

What's the regulations on buying an elk and slaughtering it yourself, I could come home every year with a nice bull then LOL.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 10:24 AM

Default Common sense finally.

Good, long overdue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-30-2020, 11:28 AM

Great news. I never thought I would see a $200.0 standing rib roast, but I did at costco. 7 rib 198.00 I'M sure the farmer who raised this steer did not get the lion's share of the price. A package of hamburger meat at Wallmart $15.00 same size package of ground pork or turkey $6.00 again Great news.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:32 AM

Finally some common sense.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Good, long overdue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's honestly kind of ridiculous that it's taken this long. I gave up hope thinking that it would ever happen.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleat View Post
It's honestly kind of ridiculous that it's taken this long. I gave up hope thinking that it would ever happen.
I think most people would rather believe their meat comes in cellophane wrapped packages. Can't really see much changing. We've bought beef from the Olds College in the past, not much different.

GRizz
Old 07-30-2020, 12:14 PM

The only thing that would worry me in this case of scenario is the actual inspection of the beef. You know, the usual- tuberculosis, anthrax or whatever else the inspectors look for after the slaughter...
Old 07-30-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
The only thing that would worry me in this case of scenario is the actual inspection of the beef. You know, the usual- tuberculosis, anthrax or whatever else the inspectors look for after the slaughter...
This is a concern. Though most farmers can recognize some basic symptoms in their animals long before it gets to the slaughter. As for the mobile butcher guys, most of the guys doing that as a proper business have years of experiences and are well trained in what is not fit for consumption s would likely indicate such to either the farmer or the consumer.

There are a few outliers who will use this to make a buck off of garbage animals, but I have trust that the majority of producers actually do care about what they are selling to people.

There has to also be a degree of allowance that the customers need to take responsibility for their own choices. If you buy from a producer without the carcass being inspected and they get sick, they have to accept that they took the risk.

In the end, the guys at Alberta Ag and Forestry have seen fit to make sure that anyone doing these farm kills, mobile or personal will be required to have a license and that when complaints do come in, they will be investigated by the Inspection and Investigation group.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
What's the regulations on buying an elk and slaughtering it yourself, I could come home every year with a nice bull then LOL.

Pack you bags tell your wife your going hunting for a week buy a farm elk drop it off at the butchers fly to Mexico for an all inclusive week with you buddies pick it up cut and wrapped on the way home from the airport. Seems legit and could be cheaper than all that hunting gear.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleat View Post

Same. Wonder if the covid outbreaks at the slaughter plants helped tipped the scales?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 07-30-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Same. Wonder if the covid outbreaks at the slaughter plants helped tipped the scales?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually the survey to ranchers came out before. Change was already in the making. It's part of the UCP's red tape cutting which seems a great initiative!

There is another one that (Survey in winter, legislation change June 1): Low risk home made foods are now legal to be sold.
Details: https://www.alberta.ca/low-risk-home...red-foods.aspx

I am excited about this one. I can now sell my jams, pickles and baked goods. Yay!

One thing to add on the meat/farmer/butcher one: I find it easier to trust a farmer and mobile butcher than random meat in the supermarket. Local, small operations have much more to lose (reputation, future business) than a no name meat producer and supermarket chain.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 07-30-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I think most people would rather believe their meat comes in cellophane wrapped packages. Can't really see much changing. We've bought beef from the Olds College in the past, not much different.

GRizz
It's sad, really. I was watching a special not long ago about healthy eating and food knowledge overall. They asked junior high school aged kids (granted, in the US) about where certain foods were from. One of the first items that came up was bananas and the overwhelming answer was, 'the market'
Old 07-30-2020, 02:24 PM

Whoa.....!

I wuz a criminal up till now?

Go figure....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Pack you bags tell your wife your going hunting for a week buy a farm elk drop it off at the butchers fly to Mexico for an all inclusive week with you buddies pick it up cut and wrapped on the way home from the airport. Seems legit and could be cheaper than all that hunting gear.
This idea has legs. Hmmm

Big enough ranch, if the operation is set up right, accommodations, and or, camping spots so you can choose different package options. Stag parties, day hunts, weekenders, full week hunt options. Hunt the critters yourself (like the fenced wild boar places here), or with a guide most likely, all the boys get their elk, processed on-site, lots of campfire/drink time. One stop shop...won't need any tickets to mexico with an operation like that! Damn, where do i sign up. Can i request Moose ranch like this though?
Old 07-30-2020, 02:57 PM

Yes that's kind of what I was thinking LOL

Old 07-30-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Actually the survey to ranchers came out before. Change was already in the making. It's part of the UCP's red tape cutting which seems a great initiative!

There is another one that (Survey in winter, legislation change June 1): Low risk home made foods are now legal to be sold.

I am excited about this one. I can now sell my jams, pickles and baked goods. Yay!

One thing to add on the meat/farmer/butcher one: I find it easier to trust a farmer and mobile butcher than random meat in the supermarket. Local, small operations have much more to lose (reputation, future business) than a no name meat producer and supermarket chain.

Credit where credits due then-props to UCP for red tape cutting in this instance.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post

Agree 100%.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
This idea has legs. Hmmm

Big enough ranch, if the operation is set up right, accommodations, and or, camping spots so you can choose different package options. Stag parties, day hunts, weekenders, full week hunt options. Hunt the critters yourself (like the fenced wild boar places here), or with a guide most likely, all the boys get their elk, processed on-site, lots of campfire/drink time. One stop shop...won't need any tickets to mexico with an operation like that! Damn, where do i sign up. Can i request Moose ranch like this though?

It is legal to farm moose in Alberta.
Instead of hunting them make the event so you have to catch a cow moose and milk her.

I don't know if I would be selling my moose for meat. I'd be milking the moose. Cheeze made from moose milk sells for $1000 a kilo. 6 to 10 moose cows can produce 500 kilos a year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8115a.jpg (125.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg moose calves.jpg (70.3 KB, 65 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-30-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
It is legal to farm moose in Alberta.
Instead of hunting them make the event so you have to catch a cow moose and milk her.

I don't know if I would be selling my moose for meat. I'd be milking the moose. Cheeze made from moose milk sells for $1000 a kilo. 6 to 10 moose cows can produce 500 kilos a year.
You can always allow hunting of the male offspring.

I suppose moose aren't subject to milk quotas??
Old 07-30-2020, 06:18 PM

This is something that I might look into pursuing. I'm only short a bandsaw and cooler to get going. I'd like to get it set up in a shipping container with an aluminum floor. Maybe a 40 footer.

I wonder how raw meat dogfood/petfood sales are affected?
Old 07-30-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
This is something that I might look into pursuing. I'm only short a bandsaw and cooler to get going. I'd like to get it set up in a shipping container with an aluminum floor. Maybe a 40 footer.

Raw meat and dog food is covered in a separate section dealing with inedible byproduct and salvage. Plants have been able to sell inedibles for pet food for years. Though most dont due to being too time consuming and not having a large enough demand from a small scale abattoir.

Last edited by El Carnicero; 07-30-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post

Why worry about a cooler and a shipping container, just buy a used reefer van.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Why worry about a cooler and a shipping container, just buy a used reefer van.
Definitely thought about that one too... I'd have to figure out how to make that work though. I have 3 ph generators, but no 'from the wall' 3 ph power. Most of the reefer units I see that have electrical are 3 ph.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:38 PM

Default Finally

Common sense prevails..