Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2020, 10:29 PM
Banned

Default NHL with No Fans in the Stands

So, I’m sitting here watching the Canuck vs Jets game and I had an epiphany.

I can get over not having fans in the stands cheering, it is what it is, but what about the music during stoppages in play AND the loud siren/horn after a goal? That to me adds to the entertainment and enthusiasm during the game. Maybe if they threw in a little, “We will rock you” or “Cotton eyed Joe” during the breaks it would add a little more atmosphere to a rather bland, quiet game. I could do without, “Na Na Na Na” for the Canadiens though.

The same with after a goal. If it’s a team that has a siren in their home arena, let it rip. If it’s a horn, same thing. It shouldn’t be a problem switching things up for different teams nowadays with all of the technology we have.

I’m not complaining, it’s just something that I thought would make things a bit more entertaining. Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:33 PM

Very good observation. It's like Zombie hockey, or watching Belarus play Slovenia for the Iron Curtain Cup or something....

And Friedman really really needs to lose that godawful beard.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-29-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
And Friedman really really needs to lose that godawful beard.
I listened to him talk for a good 10 min yesterday woundering who the homeless guy was holding it down. He's GOTA trim that thing!

He reminds me of Peter Griffin when he had birds living in his.

IMG_2690.JPG
Old 07-29-2020, 10:59 PM
Banned

A fella at the buttons could, in theory, become the seventh man and help influence the game, just like home fans can. Press the “Boo” button every time anyone checks a Leaf or Canadien player may persuade the Refs to call a penalty......just like in regular season.

Man, I would have pressed the “Cheer” button three times last night when Zack levelled that Flames guy and knocked his helmet off.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:34 PM

I enjoy having hockey back, but it's hard to get into the game when there's not fans in the stands.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:38 PM

And Friedmans beard needs to go. Probably full of Covid.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So, I’m sitting here watching the Canuck vs Jets game and I had an epiphany.

I can get over not having fans in the stands cheering, it is what it is, but what about the music during stoppages in play AND the loud siren/horn after a goal? That to me adds to the entertainment and enthusiasm during the game. Maybe if they threw in a little, “We will rock you” or “Cotton eyed Joe” during the breaks it would add a little more atmosphere to a rather bland, quiet game. I could do without, “Na Na Na Na” for the Canadiens though.

The same with after a goal. If it’s a team that has a siren in their home arena, let it rip. If it’s a horn, same thing. It shouldn’t be a problem switching things up for different teams nowadays with all of the technology we have.

I’m not complaining, it’s just something that I thought would make things a bit more entertaining. Thoughts?
They will be playing each teams horn or cannon blast when they score as you requested.. Will be used in the play in games and playoffs. At least thats what was said a couple days ago. Will have some taped crowd noise too I believe.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:17 PM

Will mandatory masks in indoor in Edmonton affect the hockey?
Old 07-30-2020, 02:30 PM

no fans in the stands?

I've been enjoying the vintage games being rebroadcast that have no advertising on the boards. I hate advertising.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
They will be playing each teams horn or cannon blast when they score as you requested.. Will be used in the play in games and playoffs. At least thats what was said a couple days ago. Will have some taped crowd noise too I believe.
Preseason already has the teams horns piped in as you could hear when the Flames scored there only goal the other night...LOL

Toronto got a penalty against Montreal and you could hear the low boo's piped in....Really, Toronto is a hub city and they pull that mickey mouse ****...
Old 07-30-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
no fans in the stands?

I've been enjoying the vintage games being rebroadcast that have no advertising on the boards. I hate advertising.
I agree...The ice and boards are cluttered with **** advertising....Don't forget the digital on TV advertising on the glass....behind the nets.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:23 PM

Actually the best thing about no fans is that I do not miss the morons along the glass that like to stand up and pound on the glass whenever the play nears them. What a bunch of losers!

Vic
Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 PM

I offered my services to dub and re-track the sounds over the loud speakers for the cheers and the jeers of calls and rushes up the ice. The awesome hits, defensive stands, great saves and goal cheering by both sides. The loud go team go chants and the music in between whistles. Was denied. Didn't think $10K a game was asking too much considering the extra tracks and hook-up involved. Of course travelling expenses not included. Would be geared to home ice advantage. Of course I would need my own team of technicians with their skeleton crew of cameramen and director.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:21 AM

It looks just like those IIHF World Championships to me. Boring......

I think people are clamouring for hockey so bad they will overlook that it’s not very exciting. These qualifying rounds are so lame. Teams that were running away with the league and deserve to be in the playoffs have to play a series to qualify for the playoffs? Stupid.... I’ll still watch a bit but meh...
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 AM
Banned

Problem with no fans in the stands, is how are the players supposed to know when to shoot the puck, when they are on the power play??
Old 08-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
Will mandatory masks in indoor in Edmonton affect the hockey?
People exercising are exempted. So be sure to wear your gym clothes and a head band, and walk fast when you go shopping .
Old 08-02-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
People exercising are exempted. So be sure to wear your gym clothes and a head band, and walk fast when you go shopping .
Ha ha
Old 08-02-2020, 10:22 AM

It’s not as weird as I thought. Been quite enjoyable so far.

Only tough part is I think the players are struggling a bit to get in that playoff intensity mindset. Way easier when you have the rush and momentum of finishing the regular season and immediately heading into the ‘yoffs, rather than sitting idle for five months. Having the energy of the fans in the building would have greatly assisted getting these guys into the mindset I think.

And truthfully, seeing and hearing the crowd go bonkers after a big goal is sometimes a big part of the fun of the playoffs. Sucks but waaay better than nothing!
Old 08-02-2020, 10:57 AM

Fans can shift momentum just like a good scrap. Not having fans is an absolute key element that is missing...
Old 08-02-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Fans can shift momentum just like a good scrap. Not having fans is an absolute key element that is missing...
And then there is the fact that the players have not played in months, and that some players will be away from their homes for months, while others are in their home city full time. This all prevents this from being a real NHL post season playoff.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:

I think people are clamouring for hockey so bad they will overlook that it’s not very exciting. These qualifying rounds are so lame. Teams that were running away with the league and deserve to be in the playoffs have to play a series to qualify for the playoffs? Stupid.... I’ll still watch a bit but meh...
So what teams do you think were running away with the league that are playing in the qualifier round?
Old 08-03-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
So what teams do you think were running away with the league that are playing in the qualifier round?
Boston, Washinington etc etc. The top two teams in each division pretty much. The season was practically over and these teams had a playoff spot pretty much cemented. It’s not rocket science. Maybe “running away” is an exaggeration....
Old 08-03-2020, 03:17 PM

Yeah it's been ok to watch, but definitely has a little 'film noir' feel to it. Does anyone know if players from the other playhoff teams in the bubble can sit in the stands and watch? If so, it may be nostalgic for those guys and take them back to their Minor Hockey tournament days!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Yeah it's been ok to watch, but definitely has a little 'film noir' feel to it. Does anyone know if players from the other playhoff teams in the bubble can sit in the stands and watch? If so, it may be nostalgic for those guys and take them back to their Minor Hockey tournament days!
I have seen pictures of them standing in the corners about 20 feet back from the glass. Not the stands
Old 08-03-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Boston, Washinington etc etc. The top two teams in each division pretty much. The season was practically over and these teams had a playoff spot pretty much cemented. It’s not rocket science. Maybe “running away” is an exaggeration....
They are playing for seeding only. All of the 8 top teams are in the playoffs regardless. However, they should of put the teams in a hat instead of playing a best of 3..LOL
Old 08-03-2020, 05:32 PM

It’s a different format for sure...
Old 08-03-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Ya your right its not rocket science
Old 08-03-2020, 06:10 PM

It feels like a beer league, no one in the stands.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:31 PM

I wonder how many of these players don’t want to be part of this. I bet you there are a few on each team. The plague on your mind and your family and some of these dudes have millions in the bank.