Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 12:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
On that I guess you can choose to avoid costco if it is mask free. Boycotting businesses that don't wear masks is an option also.
I never said I won't accept it because it has become a local bylaw... Whether I not I think it is stupid is irrelevant.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-31-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Thankfully in most situations a regular mask works just fine.
Scott, had you not told me that masks are useless without a fit-test before; and now any mask is OK????? It would’ve been in a bloop bloop thread.

I may be mistaking you for someone else in all honesty though.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:43 PM

A mask on my face protects others from me. A mask on others faces protects me from others.
Remember the old saying “Say it don’t spray it” this puts that into action.

I don’t believe it does need to be a perfect seal fit , it isn’t meant to be a respirator. You could get the same protection from a clear face shield I would think.

You wouldn’t want to go to a salad bar or buffet that doesn’t have a sneeze guard protecting the food on display. If people didn’t spit and sputter every word that comes out of their mouth none of this would be necessary.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Scott, had you not told me that masks are useless without a fit-test before; and now any mask is OK????? It would’ve been in a bloop bloop thread.

I'm not Scott, but when all this started, I read a bit about fit tests. Of course, that doesn't make me an expert but I can understand the problem of getting a good seal. One person reported a colleague who had a goatee that he folded into his mask to pass the fit test. I decided I would revert to a goatee and was prepared to shave off the rest. Then I found out that N95's weren't available. If the N95 type does come back on sale to the general public, I will feel motivated to purchase some. If that happens, I will shave. Still won't be able to get a fit test though.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:19 PM

Just to be clear ....

Only a full respirator and haz mat suit properly used and taken off can prevent the spread with near certainty.

Regular masks, like those that they are asking people to wear drastically reduce the transmission compared top mask at all. It's far better than nothing, far better.

Just because it isn't absolutely 100% doesn't constitute it as an ineffective piece of PPE.

Are safety glasses when grinding a 100% guarantee? would you wear safety glasses while grinding?

That's the point.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:

N95's need to be fit tested to prevent inhaling gases around the mask. They are designed to filter all gases, both in and out through the mask. Simple masks don't have a tight fit and when you inhale you can pull in room air from around the mask.

Last edited by Scott h; 07-31-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Except schools... as they fall under provincial legislation my wife told me.

Seems stupid to not make it mandatory in places with hundreds of kids that all pick their noses...
Until recently many believed that children didn't really catch/spread the virus. Now that it's been shown that they can actually having higher viral loads I bet they will be looking at their mask exemption in a little different light.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
N95's need to be fit tested to prevent inhaling gases around the mask. They are designed to filter all gases, both in and out through the mask. Simple masks don't have a tight fit and when you inhale you can pull in room air from around the mask.
Not all N95 masks have a check valve style “respirator”. I have N95 “dust masks” that are “one size fits all“.

Not sure if it was you, but I was teased in that other thread that a mask not fit tested was ineffective. I don’t believe that. Any mask is better then no mask. I agree with what EZM stated earlier. Any mask even a wrong size offers some filtration.

Am I mistaken, but doesn’t an N95 only filter 95% of the air? To achieve 100% filtration a P100 or NP100 is required is it not?
Old 07-31-2020, 06:02 PM

Regardless of the side you are on, Uncle Rob has a good demonstration on how well masks work. His other videos are also worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/x6cTDGqcUpA
Old 07-31-2020, 06:11 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Negative. Wife 2 daughters. Our lives while important to me is not more important than yours. Sorry if you don’t see things the same.
Wow... so you’re comparing your families lives to the wearing of a mask.
Quite the priories you got there.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Wow... so you’re comparing your families lives to the wearing of a mask.
Quite the priories you got there.
Twist it any way you see fit.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Not all N95 masks have a check valve style “respirator”. I have N95 “dust masks” that are “one size fits all“.

Not sure if it was you, but I was teased in that other thread that a mask not fit tested was ineffective. I don’t believe that. Any mask is better then no mask. I agree with what EZM stated earlier. Any mask even a wrong size offers some filtration.

Am I mistaken, but doesn’t an N95 only filter 95% of the air? To achieve 100% filtration a P100 or NP100 is required is it not?
I agree that any mask is much better than no mask, but there are many different sizes and styles of N95's and they all fit differently. If you are in an area that has a very high level of infectious material in the air you really want to make sure that when you take a breath in, that air comes through the mask and not around it. Unless you test a particular mask model, you can't be sure. I've been fit tested for many types of N95's, and failed on many, as it was provable that I was pulling in unfiltered room air in from around the edges.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:38 PM

My building has posted signs about masks but they've also sent out an e-mail saying they're not going to enforce it lol fine by me.

Quote:
The Board and Management will not be enforcing this bylaw, as this is out of their authority. If you have questions or concerns regarding this bylaw, please contact the City of Edmonton at 3-1-1 or their website: edmonton.ca
Old 08-01-2020, 07:26 PM
Banned

Something to consider. Everyone who is so concerned about how this impacts your freedom... if we don’t keep a handle on this virus (and we are getting increased cases) and we get large spikes like many US States we would, as they are starting to do in those States reimpose a lockdown and closure of business which will further damage the economy.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Something to consider. Everyone who is so concerned about how this impacts your freedom... if we don’t keep a handle on this virus (and we are getting increased cases) and we get large spikes like many US States we would, as they are starting to do in those States reimpose a lockdown and closure of business which will further damage the economy.
If people were really concerned about covid, there would not be idiots gathering in mobs to protest. Masks or not, those protests are likely contributing to the increase in cases, as much as reopening businesses.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
It seems so simple, but many would rather see businesses shut down again rather than do something as simple as put on a mask. If the numbers continue to rise, that is a pretty strong possibility.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Seems kinda silly to quit a job because of something as minimal as wearing a mask As only 1% of the population has been exposed, "we're a long way from done" and whatever job you apply to will probably have the same requirement.
Not when I was planning on giving 6 wks notice of retirement at the end of the month, it isn't, not worth the trouble and discomfort to wear a placebo for a politician.
It just means I retire 6 wks earlier, which I did.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Not when I was planning on giving 6 wks notice of retirement at the end of the month, it isn't, not worth the trouble and discomfort to wear a placebo for a politician.
In that case go for it !! Congrats on retirements !!!
Old 08-02-2020, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post

If only more people wouldn’t forget to wear their cojones when they leave home, we wouldn’t live in the mess of a society we do right now. Hat’s off to you, Sir!

I hope you’ll get to enjoy many years of deserved retirement and continue to advocate for the freedoms and rights of the canadian firearms owners. Your effort is much appreciated.

Can-do.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:30 AM

Interesting article showing the proclivity to wearing masks in a country and the number of excess deaths.

https://www.conservativereview.com/n...nity-approach/
Old 08-02-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Appreciate that JB, Thanks!
Any other mask wearer's care to share your routine's also?
Mine hangs on the mirror in the pickup. I’m told the virus dies off after a time. By the time I’m supposed to use it again it should be good to go.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Mine hangs on the mirror in the pickup. I’m told the virus dies off after a time. By the time I’m supposed to use it again it should be good to go.

I thought the same thing but my Doc told me not to hang it on the mirror. He says it becomes a little petri dish hanging there. Dont know what to believe these days.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Used to do the same thing with the undergarments of exotic dancers I "met". Was more ornamental though..
Old 08-02-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Used to do the same thing with the undergarments of exotic dancers I "met". Was more ornamental though..

Chippendale's thongs from ladies night??
Old 08-02-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Chippendale's thongs from ladies night??
Haha. Should have been a bit more concise on that one. Always need to cross the T’s when 270’s around lol
Old 08-02-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN-do View Post
If only more people wouldn’t forget to wear their cojones when they leave home, we wouldn’t live in the mess of a society we do right now. Hat’s off to you, Sir!

I hope you’ll get to enjoy many years of deserved retirement and continue to advocate for the freedoms and rights of the canadian firearms owners. Your effort is much appreciated.

Can-do.
So who were you in your previous life on AO?

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-02-2020, 06:28 PM

So I had to go to Edmonton today and fueled up at parsons and Ellerslie area. Went in to pay and get a coke and two people in line Not masked up. I thought it was a bylaw or am I wrong. Wore my mask since it’s kind of simple to do.

Last edited by Jigsalot; 08-02-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:25 PM
Banned

Read the bylaw, you will understand its a cruel joke whoever came up with it. My mask is good for about 3 minutes in this weather, after that its saturated in sweat and behaves like a glue trap.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:03 PM

Default Nope

I don’t go into the city often but now I’ll stay away entirely. If I do have to go in I will not wear a mask under any circumstances. I’m a severe asthmatic and after reading the actual bylaw I’m exempt anyway. This whole thing is about control, social engineering and is lapped up by beta cuck sheeple. If someone wants to wear a mask, fill your boots. Not a chance I’m wearing this nonsense in public.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Haha. Should have been a bit more concise on that one. Always need to cross the T’s when 270’s around lol

All in fun bud. It was there and I had to.

Plus I've begun to wonder about you a bit in all honesty.