Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-27-2020, 10:23 AM

Default Number one longsprings

Looking for recommendations; who makes the best gopher trap? I've got a mixed bag of old ones - cast jaw Victors, Triumph EZsets, a few Hawley&Nortons and quite a bunch of early (pre-70s) Victors, #0s and #1s. Probably given away a hundred or more over the years to kids getting started, and my numbers were dwindling so I bought a dozen new OV #0s from Halfords, and a few Sleepy Creek #1s from a farm store. The new ones are all garbage - the steel is so soft that the spring will gouge the jaw and not fire. They are so weak that I can set them with thumb and forefinger pressure. With a lot of tinkering I've got most of them working, but they're not to be trusted.

I notice Marty says the Bridger is probably the best one right now, anybody else confirm? I'd be surprised if anybody likes Dukes, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'd love to find some #0s (not so much trowel work to get 'em to lay flat in the holes) but the only maker I can find is Oneida Victor, and I've already taken that road.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:43 AM
AO Sponsor

I think tge best advice i can give you is to buy old/used #0 and #1 longsprings. Put an ad out for them, theres countless thousands available. Bridger #1 new are very strong, tough for a kid to use, but will hold a coon or likely even a fox! and you dont need that for gophers.

Lotsa super quality traps in the 50 year old+ bracket. No need for Newhouse, but old Victors, Triumphs, and Blake and Lamb are superb traps.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:44 PM

Thanks Marty; didn't know that about the Bridgers. Glad to know somebody is still producing quality traps.

Farm auctions used to be the place to pick up those ancient jewels, but not any more. Finding a pailful of Hawley&Nortons was pure joy.

If anybody reading this would like to part with a dozen or two time-tested zeros or ones, I'm your man...