Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2020, 08:07 PM

Default Atv mechanic/ polaris

Looking for a good fair mechanic in Calgary. Wife has a 2011 Polaris sportsman 400ho and has a problem we can’t figure out. Ready to drive it off a cliff. Any help would be greatful. Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2020, 08:23 PM

Can’t help with a mechanic but what is the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2020, 08:32 PM

I also have a 2011 I was about to drive off a cliff or spontaneously combust in its entirety.

What’s up, might be able to help?

Old 08-02-2020, 08:43 PM

Well it bogs when it gets around 4500rpm. Used to be mostly on incline but seams to do it all the time. I’ve, cleaned air filter, replaced fuel filter and father in-law adjusted the float. This time last year we were camping hand the plastic off did the fuel filters ect. Then took for a rip down the road, seamed great. Put plastic back on the we all went for a ride and started doing it again 🤪🔫
Old 08-02-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Well it bogs when it gets around 4500rpm. Used to be mostly on incline but seams to do it all the time. I’ve, cleaned air filter, replaced fuel filter and father in-law adjusted the float. This time last year we were camping hand the plastic off did the fuel filters ect. Then took for a rip down the road, seamed great. Put plastic back on the we all went for a ride and started doing it again 🤪🔫

I had similar issues. I started having the issues when I put an aftermarket muffler on with a snorkel so it would not get water sucked in the back end.

Would start like a champ, run good for 20 minutes than just no power. In my case, I was running too rich of a fuel mixture (are you running through a tank of gas faster than you think it should?). It was sneaky as the excess fuel would collect in the pipe.

If you have the pre-filter bag for the air filter, remove that for a ride and see if you get a little more out of it, then that is a good indicator of a fuel mixture issue.

Pulling the spark plug right after you ride. Black as good espresso means too much fuel, hot chocolate powder is close to where you want to be

If that is the issue and sounds about right, you need to get to the underside of the carb and drill out the brass plug and get to the mixture screw. Good diagram, directions and mixture if you go to the dynajet website and pull the instructions for the carb bits upgrade.

If that does not work, then it could be your clutch buttons on the driven clutch are worn out. That is a little more involved to fix, but doable by yourself.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...utch-problems/

I had taken mine to several mechanics, but they never ran it long enough to build up excess fuel and replicate the issue.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-02-2020, 09:41 PM

My 09 500ho would do this as well. Check the rubber boot between the carb and the air box for cracks. If it’s original I would just replace it. Does it backfire as well?
Old 08-02-2020, 10:02 PM

Thanks, I like all the suggestions. Not sure if it burns more then normal as we get ****ed off and go back to camp and drink beer. Lol. Everything is stock on it and it has 1600ishkm. Ran great for the first 3 years. No backfire and prefilter sock is on. Thanks again
Old 08-03-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I like all the suggestions. Not sure if it burns more then normal as we get ****ed off and go back to camp and drink beer. Lol. Everything is stock on it and it has 1600ishkm. Ran great for the first 3 years. No backfire and prefilter sock is on. Thanks again
I would suspect the rubber diaphragm in top of the carburetor that runs your vacuum piston slide it’s like a power valve and if it has a pinhole or deformed from certain brands of additives in the gas like stabilizer that has a little too much oily properties in them will make it swell or deform and won’t operate properly, you’ll notice a major bogging when you need power to go up a hill or off the line if you pin it to the handlebars. Very common on sportsman’s
Old 08-03-2020, 08:33 AM

Are the heat shields in place.Is the exhaust close to the carb,had a buddy with a older grizzly that would do the same thing,it seemed to heat the carb after a bit of running,he made a heat shield for it and left a side panel off.Some wiring harnesses and sensors don't like the heat also but they usally won't run.
Good Luck
Old 08-03-2020, 08:47 AM
Banned

Have you taken the carb Appartment and cleaned all the jets out? Just a little varnish buildup will do what you are describing. Use a little piece of wire from a wire brush and some carb cleaner to clean them out good. A little old gas will do it to you.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:41 AM

If it is running like crap at higher it is probably a poor fuel air mixture which means a restriction in the fuel or a restriction or leak in the air intake.You should try cleaning the carb, check the carb boots for leaks, and clean the air filter. If this doesn’t work it would probably be a problem with the carb or it could be a problem with the valves.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:53 AM

My sons was doing it also had to replace the boot between the head and the carb also we had battery issues that also made it run terrible.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Put plastic back on

That's a Polaris all right. Found a mouse nest in the air box of my Yamaha after the winter, possible air restrictor when it comes down to it.

Grizz
Old 08-03-2020, 01:12 PM

Old 08-03-2020, 01:13 PM

My friend has the same machine. Same issue

Driving quick across a field and it bogs. Dies sometimes

Hers has been in the shop 4 times. It isnt fixed. The last 3 times they didnt charge her because no one can figure it out.

It has 1900 km on it and 34 hours in the shop......

Ridiculous.

And it burns fuel like a bugger.

We just stopped taking it out. I used it to move a fence post earlier this spring
Old 08-03-2020, 02:19 PM

If it’s a leak in the carb boot then you would probably need to be playing with the choke to keep it running or make it run better because it’s adding air to a fuel system that doesn’t need it and by choking your putting more fuel to compensate for it. Since there’s no mention of needing to play with the choke while experiencing the bogging then I’m leaning towards the diaphragm in top of carb without that working it’ll be a boggy piece of junk, could also be the main jet needle is jammed up into the slide and it’s flooding it.
The other that might be an issue is the spark plug boot and or spark plug. It’s a easy and cheap try!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:11 PM

No mess in air box/filter, starts fine and don’t need choke for it to run, actually starts better without choke. Spark plug is new, but not a new boot/cable, carb is clean never checked the boot.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
No mess in air box/filter, starts fine and don’t need choke for it to run, actually starts better without choke. Spark plug is new, but not a new boot/cable, carb is clean never checked the boot.
If you Havnt I’d pull the cap off the top of carb and check out the rubber diaphragm in there and make sure the slide goes up and down nicely too.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:36 PM

I’m still putting my money on the boot from the air box to the carb being cracked.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:30 PM

Check the fuel tank vent. I bet it’s plugged up with mud
Old 08-03-2020, 09:22 PM

Appreciate all suggestions! I’m going to buy carb diaphragm, rubber tube from airbox to carb, plug boot and have my father in-law check these when we meet camping in 2 weeks. I’ll take all suggestions to check. Very much appreciated and if we ever figure it out you all will be first to know what problem was.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:45 PM

Well I bought a wack of parts and took them camping. Father in-law and I were gonna try 1 part at a time. Before he left Kelowna his mechanic guy told him to check the connection at handle bar ( override button). So first morning we pulled that connection apart sprayed with WD40 the put dielectric grease on. Took it for a ride and it ran perfect, has ran perfect ever since. Thanks for all suggestions and hopefully this helps someone in the future.