Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2020, 07:08 AM

Default Creating more conservation officer jobs

With the recent increase of recreators in the outdoors because of covid, I was thinking it might be good to have more conservation officer enforcement out in the woods. Do you guys think that if enough of us wrote to the environmental minister (or whoever is in charge of F&W), it would make a difference and get a few more jobs out there?
Old 08-02-2020, 07:18 AM

With Kenney and the economic situation ? Get Real. If we want to improve the situation, it's up to US.

Grizz
Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 AM
Banned

Default Sure, more government jobs!

Enforcing what?! What do we feel threatened by while out in the woods?
Jesus Christ and mother Mary ...
Old 08-02-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN-do View Post
No threats to us.... but the lack of respect by a lot of people that are out there right now. People are causing issues and it's tiring picking up crap, ripping through wetlands and seeing people poach. I'm doing my part, but I feel like more officers out there would help. Jesus Christ is right, people have no respect for the woods anymore....
Old 08-02-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
With Kenney and the economic situation ? Get Real. If we want to improve the situation, it's up to US.

Grizz
Good point! But still as outdoorsmen and aspiring "stewards" of the woods, shouldn't we try and make a difference? Maybe idealistic thinking... But maybe worth a try?
Old 08-02-2020, 07:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Enforcing the law on all the idiots that steal from our natural resources forcing the guberment to clamp down on the good guys or increase costs to enjoy the outdoors.....

OP not going to happen couldn't even get it right when this province was in its hey days.....but this is one area that needs more assistance for sure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-02-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Good point! But still as outdoorsmen and aspiring "stewards" of the woods, shouldn't we try and make a difference? Maybe idealistic thinking... But maybe worth a try?
If you see suspicious stuff, get license plate numbers, maybe some pics, and report it. Something just might happen, our best hope.

Grizz
Old 08-02-2020, 07:56 AM

a conservative government with an outspoken disgust towards unionized public workers was elected....and you want that government to hire more unionized public workers? HA!
Old 08-02-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
With the recent increase of recreators in the outdoors because of covid, I was thinking it might be good to have more conservation officer enforcement out in the woods. Do you guys think that if enough of us wrote to the environmental minister (or whoever is in charge of F&W), it would make a difference and get a few more jobs out there?
I'm not convinced these fish cops are there to help hunters. I really don't see much of a future for normal regular people hunting unless maybe if they own their own land.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:28 AM

If one wants more conservation officers then write Nixon as he is responsible for Environment and Parks where the conservation officers (used to be known as park rangers) are housed.

F+W officers are housed in with the sheriffs and rcmp in a different ministry.

There is no fish and wildlife division anymore. Thank a previous government for that.

No respect for the outdoors anymore. Alberta is doomed.

Under the current government, the hope of any recruitment or meaningful action is slim to none.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I'm not convinced these fish cops are there to help hunters. I really don't see much of a future for normal regular people hunting unless maybe if they own their own land.
I'm not really saying that they directly help hunters or fishermen, but they hurt people breaking the law. And I think most of us can agree that throwing trash in the bush, poaching fish/animals, and disrespectful use of land hurts everyone. It gives us a bad name to the far lefties, and it craps on something (most of us) we all cherish. Thats all I'm trying to get at.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 AM
Banned

I think it’s no government’s fault, nor merit, that some people decide to behave like pigs, outdoors or otherwise. There are plenty enough laws against littering and poaching, yet laws are still being ignored by some.

I also think strongly that more can be accomplished through education and that starts with each one of us.

Can-do.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Huh.....they try thier best to stop crooks from taking, stealing etc....that helps all of us outdoors people....there is a poop load of crown land to hunt and fish in this province....not sure if I understand what your saying at all.....oh and since the policing resources are low we can help by calling in illegal activities....makes the criminals look over their shoulders and slows these low lives down.....

Old 08-02-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Huh.....they try thier best to stop crooks from taking, stealing etc....that helps all of us outdoors people....there is a poop load of crown land to hunt and fish in this province....not sure if I understand what your saying at all.....oh and since the policing resources are low we can help by calling in illegal activities....makes the criminals look over their shoulders and slows these low lives down.....
They pick the low hanging fruit.
Hardcore lawbreakers they dont go after. Has to be an easy target close to the road.
Back on topic. If these people who are destroying public lands,if they had a stake in it. Example if they were hunters who thought they had a future in hunting. Would they not take better care of it?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:20 AM

We all need to be better stewards of the land. Even the stewards of the land need to be better stewards of the land...
Old 08-02-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Hardcore lawbreakers they dont go after. Has to be an easy target close to the road.
Back on topic. If these people who are destroying public lands,if they had a stake in it. Example if they were hunters who thought they had a future in hunting. Would they not take better care of it?
I’ve heard of many successful sting operations against hardcore poaching operations. There was a big one I read about earlier this year: https://www.southpeacenews.com/33-pe...cking-of-fish/

To go off your example, I agree lots of people look ahead to making the future better, but there are always people that like to rape resources because they simply don’t care. I’ve met people like this in BC, AB and SK, and my fishcop buddy in MB says it’s prevalent there too.
There are also city “weekend warriors” that are heading out to camp, that aren’t outdoorsman, and that just leave their junk everywhere... this is especially gross when people don’t bury their poop and TP.
I agree with you that people are preserving for the future, but lots of people aren’t either. And those are the ppl that need a bit of legal persuasion
Old 08-02-2020, 09:21 AM

I also think strongly that more can be accomplished through education and that starts with each one of us

There will always be people who need a fence post on the head. We've been doing the education thing since time began.

Grizz
Old 08-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
We all need to be better stewards of the land. Even the stewards of the land need to be better stewards of the land...
100% agree. The word steward has been used on people that simply pick up trash. Yes, you’re better than most, but a steward is someone who devotes a decent amount of their time to helping the land. We all need to be better stewards. Great point!
Old 08-02-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I’ve heard of many successful sting operations against hardcore poaching operations. There was a big one I read about earlier this year: https://www.southpeacenews.com/33-pe...cking-of-fish/

There are also city “weekend warriors” that are heading out to camp, that aren’t outdoorsman, and that just leave their junk everywhere...
Here we go again. The mythical "stupid city people" theory resurfaces........And you were doing so well....lol
Old 08-02-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Owning your own land will not help. Those types of people causing trouble on crown stuff do the exact same things to privately owned land as well. Need to change their mentality and I’m not sure how we are going to do that.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Here we go again. The mythical "stupid city people" theory resurfaces........And you were doing so well....lol
I rarely frequent general discussion, so I'm not familiar with this theory. As someone who lives in a city, I'd like to say I see a lot of people (including family) that goes into the bush and are ignorant of a lot of the issues in crownland. I was just generalizing, because there are a lot of awesome city people who enjoy crownland. But there are always two sides to every coin, and I've found more often than not, garbage is hucked carelessly by some of these people. This includes a few people I've taken to some pretty magical places
Old 08-02-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
they catch the easy ones as you indicate low hanging fruit but also take down the more organized idiots too....just google it and you will find big operations shut down too...

most hunter or outdoors people do take care of the areas but unfortunately there are those that don't and usually make a freakin mess of things giving all a bad rap...good goes unnoticed but bad seems to get all the attention....typical.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:39 AM

I'd encourage all of you to phone RAP when you run into OHV's not respecting the designated trail network. I do it all the time...with no expectation of a reward. Do it to keep OHV riders honest and to respect the trail system. I rate this subject no different than poaching, littering or other abuses to our environment.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I'd encourage all of you to phone RAP when you run into OHV's not respecting the designated trail network. I do it all the time...with no expectation of a reward. Do it to keep OHV riders honest and to respect the trail system. I rate this subject no different than poaching, littering or other abuses to our environment.
I do too, it is difficult when there is no service and you’re in the bush for 3 days. In that case I take pics and report later.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:01 PM

Back in the 70s most people threw trash out there car windows. You dont see much of that anymore.
I'm thinking it was because of public education? Give a hoot and dont polite,etc.
Yeah I shouldn't give fish cops a hard time. Its probably because they are stretched to thin. Thats probable why there always in a high traffic area. Haha problem is thats not where most commit crimes.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I think it’s no government’s fault, nor merit, that some people decide to behave like pigs, outdoors or otherwise. There are plenty enough laws against littering and poaching, yet laws are still being ignored by some.

I also think strongly that more can be accomplished through education and that starts with each one of us.

Can-do.
You believe education is the answer for these pigs? Unless the education involves a beat down, nothing will change. Some people believe they are the most important person in the world, their behavior reflects that. No education will change that.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-02-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Back in the 70s most people threw trash out there car windows. You dont see much of that anymore.
I'm thinking it was because of public education? Give a hoot and dont polite,etc.
Yeah I shouldn't give fish cops a hard time. Its probably because they are stretched to thin. Thats probable why there always in a high traffic area. Haha problem is thats not where most commit crimes.
I don't think we travel the same roads. People are pigs, I find it is worse than it has ever been. I have a dog that loves garbage, I walk a trail in a high end area, every day it is a battle. I pick up a lot of garbage in a year.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-02-2020, 01:38 PM

There use to be the Stream Watch program,years ago.Money was raised to employ a CO for the summer to watch over the southern streams.This went on for years.Was a good thing ,raffles were held for donations from the public.Im not sure what happened to it?