Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM

Default Problems with crosshairs

When i look through my scope at a target, such as a deer, it is ok, but if im looking at a paper target for practice my crosshairs go blurrry, basically when i look at anything with color, any idea why?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 PM

Im not an optomitrist and ive never played one on TV but, have you had your eyes checked recently? sounds more like maybe eye fatigue.
when your teed up on a deer your not focussing on the crosshairs, a paper has no qualities that hold your eyes attention
do you have one eye or both eyes open while shooting? (My shooting improved almost immediately when i used my open eye to look through the scope)
i find it easier now to leave both open, less eye strain
do you look through the scope for long periods before actually shooting maybe a 'pirate' eye patch would help.

what breed of scope?
did you focus the crosshairs before shooting?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 PM

my eyes are fine, i think... ive tried holding both open, but then i cant look through scope haha, well, kinda i can, but its hard, i think the problem is, i get focused on target, and then my crosshairs just dissapear.. then i dunno where they are really lol. Its a bushnell by the way
Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 PM

Default Possibly a parallax issue?

Google the words "Scope parallax" and see what you find.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:04 AM

If that is happening with more than one type of scope, I would get my eyes checked. Not being able to focus in two planes is why older folks quit using open sites. Happens at different ages. Also, check and see which is your master eye (hold your finger up at arms length, and with both eyes open line it up with a vertical door jam, window casing etc. Now alternately close one then the other eye without moving your finger. With one eye the finger will appear to jump away from where it is aligned, with the other the alignment will stay true. This is your master eye and the one you want to shoot with if you can.) The fact you can't see throught the scope with both eyes open indicates your dominant eye is not the one looking through the scope. This can cause the same problem of not easily being able to focus in two planes. Best of luck.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 AM

Read the instructions that came with the scope sounds like you need to adjust the focus of the scope.

There are no absolutes