Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 PM

Question Trigger Adjustment Help

I need some advice. I was about to make adjustments to lighten the pull on the trigger of my Sako 85 (7mm Rem Mag) when I noticed that the instructions state that after adjusting the trigger the safety should be adjusted at the factory.

Is this really true or are the people at Sako just covering their butts in case somebody is hurt by a trigger that is adjusted to be too sensitive?

Has anyone out there adjusted a Sako single stage trigger? Did it affect the safety mechanism at all? Am I worrying about something that I should not worry about?

Any valid advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, cutthroat
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 PM

Due to the liability issues you mentioned you may want to "target" that question to one of the certified gunsmiths on here: Custom Gunworx, Solothurn, or Precision shooter. (hope I got the last one right.)

The rest of us back yard armory techs could get you in trouble.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 AM

I've adjusted the trigger on my Sako 85 (7mm-08).

It's easy to do. Just a single allen wrench.

You do need to take off the bottom metal (trigger guard) which is pretty self explanitory.

I had a bit of a issue when I did mine. I figured I'd take the whole barreled action out of the stock. Took out all the bolts, took the stock off and made the adjustments.

Figured I'd just hold the barreled action into the stock while I shouldered the rifle and tested out the new trigger pull.

The barreled action fell out of the tupperware stock and landed on my bench straight on the trigger (minus the trigger guard).

Scope was okay, no scratches on the rifle but the trigger broke clean into 2 pieces.

Oops. My bad

After getting past the urge to smash the whole rifle I figured I just gave myself a good reason to get a new Timney or Jewel trigger.

In the end, couldnt find an after market trigger for the rifle so I sent it back to Stoeger in Ontario to have a replacement installed.
They wouldnt sell me a trigger or the parts to replace it.

The whole repair cost me only the price of shipping my rifle out to them (approx $50).

I dont have enough good things to say about the whole experience. It could have turned out very badly for me but it didnt.

I wont hesitate to buy another Sako in the future.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Safety issues???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post
I've adjusted the trigger on my Sako 85 (7mm-08).
Did the adjustment you made seem to have any effect on the safety mechanism or were you able to get that far?

I just don't want to comprimise the workability of the safety.

cutthroat
Old 01-15-2010, 07:20 AM

Trigger feels better and saftey still works fine.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building