Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 AM

Question Is it OK to sell antler pieces?

I have been asked by some of the dog owners in my FB group whether I have any antler pieces for sale...I know it is illegal to sell the meat, but does that apply to antlers as well? If so, what about people selling products made out of antlers like lamps and knives?
Have you seen the outrageous prices for six inch pieces of elk antler in a pet store??

Thanks!!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:52 AM

If they are cut up shed antlers I think you are okay. I do not believe it's okay to sell antlers even cut up pieces of a harvested buck without paperwork.

However it would be best to ask F&W
Old 11-18-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
If they are cut up shed antlers I think you are okay. I do not believe it's okay to sell antlers even cut up pieces of a harvested buck without paperwork.

However it would be best to ask F&W
OK. I called F&W and sheds are OK. Harvested antlers can be given away free but whoever takes them is not supposed to re-sell them as buttons or dog treats or whatever. And you can apply to sell harvested antlers but it takes three years from the date of application. I wonder why so long? Oh well.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Gone Hunting

The wait isn't for blanket permit. It is for a permit for individual antlers. It is set up to discourage poaching for antler sales.
Poach a deer and wait three years to sell it? Not many poachers will do that.

I think it's just a feel good law that the crooks won't follow anyway, but very inconvenient for a guy who wants to recover the taxidermist costs for a mount he no longer wants.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-18-2015, 10:21 AM

If you are selling shed antlers they must have the button connected.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-18-2015, 10:28 AM

Not sure why you would be worried, unless your planning on commercial sales... Pretty sure F&W have better things to do than determine if pieces of antler where shed or cut down off old harvests.

Heck, F & W could just drive around in the city and ask for permits for those displaying horns in flower beds, never happen.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Not sure why you would be worried, unless your planning on commercial sales... Pretty sure F&W have better things to do than determine if pieces of antler where shed or cut down off old harvests.

Heck, F & W could just drive around in the city and ask for permits for those displaying horns in flower beds, never happen.
Good point! They are busy enough as it is! Not that I am planning on doing anything illegal....

Old 11-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Default Antler pieces

Interesting because I gave away some meat scraps last night and the guy getting them asked if I have any antlers to sell.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

I do know that when I advertised a golf club made from moose antler on Kijiji F&W contacted me promptly. The club head was made from dropped antler but the button was cut off. I was very lucky I had the button and rest of the antler to prove it was a drop.

F&W came over to follow up.

Even though I do not sell any other antler items F&W was very interested in cut up antlers.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-18-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I do know that when I advertised a golf club made from moose antler on Kijiji F&W contacted me promptly. The club head was made from dropped antler but the button was cut off. I was very lucky I had the button and rest of the antler to prove it was a drop.

F&W came over to follow up.

Even though I do not sell any other antler items F&W was very interested in cut up antlers.
Probably due to you advertising said item for sale, but I doubt they could do anything about this items as they would have to prove this antler was not a shed. From what I remember, moose shed each year so I suspect one could find them laying loose in most places that have these animals present