Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2010, 06:39 PM

Question What Caliber is too big??

Is a .300 WM & similar magnum calibers too big for deer, or is it just a waste of the extra powder if under 400 yards?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 PM

The calibre is too big if it causes you to flinch when you shoot.

Other than that, I've shot a deer with a 458 Win Mag (once)....bullet placement is key. No more damage with that calibre than a 30-06.

A 300 Win Mag is a great all around choice of calibre I'd say......
Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 PM

Is there such thing as too big depends if you are planning to hunt gophers with a 50 cal then maybe
Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Other than that, I've shot a deer with a 458 Win Mag (once)....bullet placement is key. No more damage with that calibre than a 30-06.

X2
if you can shoot it accurately, don't mind the noise, and can afford it, shoot it!
Cat
Old 01-14-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
The calibre is too big if it causes you to flinch when you shoot ........... bullet placement is key...
x2 If you are afraid to pull the trigger 'cos it's gonna hurt, then you are using too much gun & will never achieve good accuracy or placement.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 PM

I've shot gophers with my 7mmrm and they were no more dead than anything else I've shot with it.

Hard to get perfect bullet placement on a gopher at 200yards though.

It does waste some meat
Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMan101 View Post
Is a .300 WM & similar magnum calibers too big for deer, or is it just a waste of the extra powder if under 400 yards?
IMO yes its too big for deer, you'll find out if you use nonpremium bullets they will fragment and disintegrate to a certain extent when you hit bone/meat. When you see a deer hit with a poor bullet at high speed it looks like an explosion - meat laced with lead. Then after stepping up to premium bullets and the excess cost of brass and powder it becomes really expensive to shoot. There are two things going against calibers like you mention, one its harder for most shooters to be accurate with them and two when you place the shot in the front shoulder or worse in the arse by accident you'll destroy a lot of meat. From what you bring to the table as important (too big for deer, waste of powder, under 400 yards) look at the highly efficient 7mm-08 or 308 they are enough for deer to 400 yards and they are good cartridges that are what some call inherently accurate (the jury is still out on that). Any ways guys use them for silhouette shooting and that should say enough about them.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Default never too big

I agree with the previous posters that , barring any flinching issues, the larger the gun the better. I continue to argue that a large heavy-for-caliber bullet does less damage on wild game than some supersonic peashooter that blows up the tissue on impact.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
I've shot gophers with my 7mmrm and they were no more dead than anything else I've shot with it.

Hard to get perfect bullet placement on a gopher at 200yards though.

It does waste some meat
Are you using Berger bullets? and if so, are they passing through?

I've used 265gr. FP's outta my .444 and all's I get is red mist.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:18 PM

The biggest thing with picking a cartridge to shoot with is to make sure you can shoot it and handle it the way you need to in order to put the bullet where it needs to go. Is there such thing as too much gun, well that's for each of us to decide on our own. If you like it, can shoot it accurately, and don't flinch, then by all means shoot it. A bullet in the boiler room = a dead animal.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 AM

Meet the .557 T-Rex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nym22WB4-kU

And the 700 Nitro Express

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D41NYBHkb9M

Ouch!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Are you using Berger bullets? and if so, are they passing through?

I've used 265gr. FP's outta my .444 and all's I get is red mist.

It looks like they are passing through but it's kinda hard to tell without both halves.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 AM

I would have to agree with Huntinstuff. I've been using a 300 win mag for the past 4 years. Deer, elk, bison... Same bullet for everything. As long as you keep the shots throught the ribs, the meat damage won't be much more, if any more than with a 30-06 or 308.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:

would have agreed with you years ago though it does make some sense, however with technology some big guns do not make you flinch because they handle recoil better. For example and again it is only from my experience I bought a weatherby accumark in a 30 378 with brake and the recoil, again only my opinoin seems far less than my sako 75 finnlight in 270wsm and since then have just sold that sako and in the market to buy another accumark. The worst kickin gun i ever owned was a older 300 win mag in a browning a bolt kicked like a mule still have the scare between the eyes to show.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:59 AM
sheephunter

Quote:

Man, a cartridges other than the .30-06.....the God of Springfield will not look favourably upon you...

LOL...well said as usual Randy....I'd like to add bullet choice to what you said above but I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 AM

The extra speed and lightly built bullets are what will get you in trouble. You can get more damage from smaller guns or bigger, depends on the bullet used. We need some damage or we won't kill the deer. We get a little too much and some get all bent out of shape. I don't eat ribs, but my 460 would let you eat right up to the hole. 416, 375, 35 Whelen were all the same. My 300 Win mag made the biggest hole using 190gr Hornady's. Not the best bullet for saving ribs. If you use ballistic tips you may see some impressive DRT's and put your foot in it holes. 300 mag is a great caliber.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I agree with Randy 100%. My first rifle was a Sako in .300 WM and shot everything with it including deer and even antelope. But I was also fairly experienced as a shooter and knew the .300 did not make me flinch.

Bullet choice and placement is the key. Of course, being a starving student at the time I could only afford one rifle but, shot it until it was an extension of my arm.

I own several others now but that Sako is still my go to rifle of choice!