Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Banned

Default Sausage Thread

Looking for ideas for different types of sausage to get made. After years of the old reliable Garlic coil and pepperoni, I’d like to step out of my comfort zone. I make my own jerky and I know that you can’t go wrong with smokies, but what are other good options out there? Has anyone tried the Mergues or Nürnberger at Victoria Meats?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:26 AM

American garlic from jb sausage...... enough said. By far one of the best sausage I've ever made. Everyone that has tried or made it loves it. Not sure if they have any stores in alberta, check out their website all their spices are good and they ship.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 AM

I just made a few varieties of sausage. Got my spices from LEM and Walton's Inc. in the U.S. Made breakfast, Cajun, Hot and sweet Italian, and Bratwurst, all from LEM. All were excellent. Next up is Texas hot links, the seasoning is from Walton's. The pepperoni seasoning from Walton's is the best I have ever had. Looking forward to trying the roasted garlic and onion hamburger seasoning this weekend when processing a elk.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:39 AM

This is my favorite. With high temp cheese added.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/be...icy6716s-group
Old 11-29-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
This is my favorite. With high temp cheese added.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/be...icy6716s-group
when using this seasoning,use apple juice instead of water,the apple flavour becomes stronger
Old 11-29-2018, 08:17 AM

For making sausages, what kind/model of smoker would you guys recommend? I'm looking to get a smoker but cant decide on which one would be the best for sausages.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:22 AM

Honey garlic, kielbasa, sweet Italian, summer sausage, bratwursts, apple and maple breakfast sausages but the list is endless. I made all the ones listed this year but so far my favorite is the fresh kielbasa stuffed into a 32mil casing, lightly smoked with a hickory/oak blend then bbq'ed to a crisp skin.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-07-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
American garlic from jb sausage...... enough said. By far one of the best sausage I've ever made. Everyone that has tried or made it loves it. Not sure if they have any stores in alberta, check out their website all their spices are good and they ship.
I am with you ,as is everybody that I know that has tried it,best pre mixed stuff I have tried.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:50 PM

JB has good nitrosamine avoidance practices that marginally impact flavour profiles
Old 12-07-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
JB has good nitrosamine avoidance practices that marginally impact flavour profiles
What does this mean lol
Old 12-07-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
What does this mean lol
Nitrosamines are carcinogens that could increase cancer risk. Typically formed when nitrates and nitrites are overheated/burnt as would happen in burning bacon in a skillet.

However, nitrosamines can also form when raw cure and certain spices are premixed and allowed to sit over time.

So to be safe, cure used to packaged separately from the premix to prevent premature nitrosamine development.
However, conceptually if you exclude the reactive spices from the premix,you can limit their formation even with cure present in the premix.

It is becoming a more common practice recently.
However this leaves open the very real spectre of missing flavours/colours that one might be used to seeing and tasting.And cure tends to settle out and down to the bottom of your premix.

Sausage 101

Last edited by omega50; 12-07-2018 at 07:38 PM.