Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 09:58 PM

Arrow stiller vs defiance...

what is everyones opinion on these two? what have been your experiences? thoughts? Which one is better or better for money?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:35 PM

I had 2 Stillers, a Predator LA and a Tac 300 (which is being barrelled right now). They're really nice actions, but I'll be replacing the Tac with a Bighorn TL3 soon (once the barrel is toast). My TL3s are on their way. Check them out of you haven't already. I can't speak to the Defiance, other than what I've read, I doubt they'd dissapoint.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Of the two, the Defiance would be my choice. But, they are pricey. Perhaps you should look into a KS.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 AM

Stiller predator/tac series are a nice entry level custom action. The important parts are correct, everything you try to fix on a Remington 700 is correct out of the box. You need to buy a rail and recoil lug with the stiller. The pic rails are pinned which is a nice touch. The finish of the stillers is utilitarian/subdued.

The defiance actions are beautifully machined, and highly polished. You order the action with your choice of elevation built into the pic rail. You also have a pile of different options to choose from like style/depth of bolt flutes, bolt shroud, extraction system (they now offer CRF), ejection port size and side, coned or flat bolt.
I've built rifles with stillers and with defiance. I never took the time to measure the actions internal clearances so take this next bit with a grain of salt as it is my feelings not necessarily the facts.
The defiance actions feel smoother and tighter than the stiller. Now depending on your intended use this could be good or bad. I really don't think you could go wrong either way. In the rifles I've built with these actions I didn't notice one to be more accurate than the other.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 AM

I have read some not so flattering reviews for stiller actions on 24hr campfire (by guys who took the time to actually check the tolerances) that alone would have me choosing defiance over stiller. Plus as Rob pointed out, they have way more options available.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I have read some not so flattering reviews for stiller actions on 24hr campfire (by guys who took the time to actually check the tolerances) that alone would have me choosing defiance over stiller. Plus as Rob pointed out, they have way more options available.
I have read the same reviews. Although I have not heard the same things before or since then, so I'm trying to stay objective that its only one guys opinion on one site. unless you have other sources as well?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 AM

I have not owned a Defiance, but I am very pleased with my Stiller Predator.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnbrg View Post
I have read the same reviews. Although I have not heard the same things before or since then, so I'm trying to stay objective that its only one guys opinion on one site. unless you have other sources as well?
No Sir, only those reviews.