Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-26-2016, 12:38 PM

Default 300 Yd/M Sub MOA 10 Shot CHALLENGE

Another CHALLENGE brought over from CGN ... the goal being to shoot a 10 shot sub MOA group at 100yds/m.
THE RULES::::
*No Rifle, caliber, or hold restrictions.
*10 shots only per target panel.
*Post picture of your target panel with calipers bracketing the group with calculations displayed.
*Give rifle, caliber, hold details ... and post a photo if you wish.
REMEMBER, THIS IS A CHALLENGE ONLY, NOT A CONTEST...that will hopefully get shooters active now that it is getting a bit cooler. ENJOY!
Old 11-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Is this a 100 or 300 yard challenge? Title conflicts with the text of the post.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Sorry for the bugger up in the text ....300 yds or 300M.... if your Range is 300yds do it at that distance ...MOA can be determined by dividing c-to-c group measurement by 3.
If shot at 300m, use the calculation ... I will post an example.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 11-26-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:05 PM

Shot this morning with 30 BR in Sako stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2016, 02:22 PM

Good shooting, Jim. Way beyond my capabilities, in this life, or the next

However, I know of a guy who often said he could do this offhand, if you allowed pie plates as the target. I think he nicknamed his rifle too. Believe he was banned.

Last edited by sns2; 11-26-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Good shooting, Jim. Way beyond my capabilities, in this life, or the next

However, I know a guy who could do this offhand, if you allowed pie plates as the target. I think he nicknamed his rifle too. Believe he was banned.
Did his handle start with an 'e'?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2016, 07:56 PM

Nice shooting 260. You could school the majority of guys on here on shooting small groups.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:44 PM

Very nice ..... I am still working the the previous challenges ...
Old 11-28-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Shot this morning with 30 BR in Sako stock.

Great shooting! It of curiosity, what cartridge did you use?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2016, 04:17 PM

Shot with the cartridge on the left (30BR/115grFB Berger / 33.8 gr H4198). I have not chrony'd that bullet but expect it is leaving the muzzle between 2950 - 3000fps as that is where the first accuracy node seems to be). I have used the same cartridge loaded with a Barnes 110gr TTSX with 3075 fps MV for deer and they are very effective.
Also included a pic of another 300M group shot at the same time as the previously posted group and as you can see is ... also decent.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Default Nice shooting

Well Done 260. Nice shooting!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:48 PM

Come on guys, let's get some shooters posting their sub-MOA 300yd/m groups. Remember, the challenge is not to shoot better than the next guy, just to shoot your best...and maybe even develop some techniques that will improve your own game. Personally, only about 5% of my shooting is beyond 100m, so this challenge is not only an eye opener...but is also good exercise. Trial and error. Embrace it.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Banned

I'll give it a go in the next week or two...
Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Come on guys, let's get some shooters posting their sub-MOA 300yd/m groups. Remember, the challenge is not to shoot better than the next guy, just to shoot your best...and maybe even develop some techniques that will improve your own game. Personally, only about 5% of my shooting is beyond 100m, so this challenge is not only an eye opener...but is also good exercise. Trial and error. Embrace it.
Intimidation factor is rather large when you start things out like that.

I will not be doing the challenge unfortunately with all the range gong show going on and getting shut down around Edmonton I haven't got out shooting in the last couple years I didn't even reload this fall as I took 3 shots this year one from my 300 WSM and one from my 270 WSM to make sure they were on for hunting but ended up spending most of my with my bow in my hand.

That said maybe I could learn some better techniques. The biggest thing I struggle with while target shooting and trying to hold absolutely perfect is my heart beat causes side to side crosshair movement. Is there a trick to avoid this?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

That said maybe I could learn some better techniques. The biggest thing I struggle with while target shooting and trying to hold absolutely perfect is my heart beat causes side to side crosshair movement. Is there a trick to avoid this?

Thanks,
Mike
The key is not to try and hold the cross hairs perfectly still, but to shoot within a rhythm while squeezing the trigger - after the initial set up of autonomic ( natural) alignment, of course!
Cat
Old 11-30-2016, 10:05 AM

I may try it Saturday morning if the wind cooperates.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:52 AM

Mike... No one should be intimidated, it is intended to be a personal challenge, not a competition between shooters. Those getting lots of range time are understandably going to post tighter groups. Personally, I think a sub-MOA 10 shot group @ 300yds/m with a factory rifle is pretty decent.
Developing better technique is always the goal...and a bit of wind and cold temperatures are great teachers that require real world accommodations.
Remote troubleshooting the retical "wiggle" is tough, but I would suggest that if your rifle is properly positioned in a good set of bags, there should be no wiggle. I must be the exception with the "heartbeat" thing because I am not even aware mine is thumping...let alone being able to "shoot between heartbeats" as some suggest they do
Old 11-30-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Mike... No one should be intimidated, it is intended to be a personal challenge, not a competition between shooters. Those getting lots of range time are understandably going to post tighter groups. Personally, I think a sub-MOA 10 shot group @ 300yds/m with a factory rifle is pretty decent.
Developing better technique is always the goal...and a bit of wind and cold temperatures are great teachers that require real world accommodations.
Remote troubleshooting the retical "wiggle" is tough, but I would suggest that if your rifle is properly positioned in a good set of bags, there should be no wiggle. I must be the exception with the "heartbeat" thing because I am not even aware mine is thumping...let alone being able to "shoot between heartbeats" as some suggest they do
I don't shoot off bags as a rule, I hold my rifle.
If one is shooting off bags and a rear rest heartbeat obviously is not an issue, but shooting from a bipod supporting the rear stock with the shoulder , offhand, or shooting other unsupported positions , the shooting rhythm is an important part of the shot sequence.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-30-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I have an adjustable rest for the front and a rear bag maybe my problem is that being 6'3 with only a 33" inseam (Long torso) I usually like to have my front rest a bit higher and the result is a rear bag too short so I usually support my rear with a bit of fist so maybe is the beat in my hand that I am seeing.

I prefer my gun /load shoot MOA or Sub MOA so sometimes the "heartbeat flyer" might skew my results ...with a consistent trigger pull I can usually tell if the shot was botched.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I have an adjustable rest for the front and a rear bag maybe my problem is that being 6'3 with only a 33" inseam (Long torso) I usually like to have my front rest a bit higher and the result is a rear bag too short so I usually support my rear with a bit of fist so maybe is the beat in my hand that I am seeing.

I prefer my gun /load shoot MOA or Sub MOA so sometimes the "heartbeat flyer" might skew my results ...with a consistent trigger pull I can usually tell if the shot was botched.
This

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?...products_id=15

Plus this

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?...roducts_id=289

Makes for a pretty high rear bag. That is what I use .. prefer to be a bit more upright
Old 11-30-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Is sub MOA @ 300 just decent with a factory rifle ?
Old 11-30-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Is sub MOA @ 300 just decent with a factory rifle ?
Based on the number of claims made of sub-MOA accuracy ... right here on AO ... leads one to conclude that it could be quite common. Personally, I think it may fit the "challenge" concept of this thread?

Last edited by 260 Rem; 11-30-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Based on the number of claims made of sub-MOA accuracy ... right here on AO ... leads one to conclude that it could be quite common. Personally, I think it may fit the "challenge" concept of this thread?
I did a quick search and couldn't come with much for these claims you are referring to.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 PM

10 rounds is where it gets difficult. 3 or 5 shot groups are easy. Barrel heat and shot spacing will throw most rifles off. May try this on the weekend with my tikka 6.5 that shoots5 rounds 1/2 moa at 100. Patience is the key.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:13 AM

Welcome 10 Mil ... when it gets real cool and if a switchy breeze is going mean extra time, I keep my bullets in an inside pocket to keep them a consistent temperature.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Banned

I'm about 5/8"-3/4" MOA at 100, on a good day, but when I go to 200 or 300, it opens up. Is my set up capable? I'm sure it might be. Am I capable? Nope. I'm 1 1/4-1 1/2 MOA at those distances. But I love trying to get better. I just wish I lived closer to a range that was taking memberships or where my membership is. It's 2.5 hours away.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:35 PM

Before you all swoon, this was not at 300m! 100M 10-shot group from this past April. Stock T3 light 30.06 off bags. Hornady SST 165gr over 52.5gr IMR 4350.

Nice light load for this rifle!
I'll try to get some 300m groups next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Smile Question

Wouldn't your POA be more likely to be the same if your target was a square not a circle?

How can you be confident that the cross hairs are in the same place every time?

Very nice group BTW and an excellent explanation of how to calculate MOA.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM

Scott, that 3/4 MOA at 100 is going to grow at 300 but it means you are in the zone to post 1 MOA at 300. Practice will make it happen.
Dave, your 100M group at 100 with a factory rifle is "swoon worthy".
Densa44 ... I find that circle targets are OK as long as they are not too large, and have a white aiming point which makes it easier (for me) to quarter-up. No doubt that it is possible to misjudge by 1/10" or maybe even 2/10" at 300, but the human eye is very much a precision instrument. I generally try to keep bullet holes outside the aiming area (when shooting groups) but a bit of wind can throw a wrench into that plan, and then it becomes a game of chase.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Banned

Practice, a better scope for target, and some better paper punching ammo. That was with my hunting set up. I got me deer this year at 350 yards so it's working right. I'd have to find some of my 300 yards targets from bench rest to be sure but I want to say they were a 5 shot at 4-4.5".