Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2017, 05:34 PM

Default New lakes open for Walleye

http://globalnews.ca/news/3351885/pr...mpaign_id=A100

Hope this link works
Old 04-02-2017, 06:21 PM

Ya just seen that,
Doesn't affect my plans tho, don't fish in those newly opened lakes.

TBark
Old 04-03-2017, 04:17 PM

Sure glad they informed everyone so they can close them next year due to over fishing.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:30 PM

Also from what I read it is a draw so there goes a few bucks to apply plus the one tag is $11 if I read things right.... May as well go to Sobeys for my fish lol
Old 04-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Also from what I read it is a draw so there goes a few bucks to apply plus the one tag is $11 if I read things right.... May as well go to Sobeys for my fish lol
So would you rather a daily limit and then the lakes are fished out of walleye in record time??
Plenty of lakes a guy can keep one without tags as well.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
In our household fishing is actually about getting out, the challenge of angling and enjoying the outdoors.

I feel sorry for people like you that seem to think fish and wildlife have to be akin to a business transaction and must make total fiscal gain before you participate.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
In our household fishing is actually about getting out, the challenge of angling and enjoying the outdoors.

I feel sorry for people like you that seem to think fish and wildlife have to be akin to a business transaction and must make total fiscal gain before you participate.
Holy crap! Someone urinate in your coffee? Nube was obviously making a tongue in cheek statement. That is typically what LOL means.

If you click on some of the links to his threads you will see that he spends tens of thousands of dollars going all over the world so he can challenge himself and enjoy the great outdoors.

No need for you to feel sorry for him.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Banned

No need for you to feel sorry for him.[/QUOTE]

I really do. LOL
Old 04-03-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:

You must have never enjoyed a shore lunch of fresh fish like walleye and perch with your family. We as anglers have given the government more than enough money to stock every lake in Alberta on a yearly basis with fish other than trout, for retention. I feel sorry for people that get sucked into this, " stock a lake with millions of walleye" then close it to retention idea !! There is more to this than getting out and having fun with our families. Put the $ from our lisence fees directly back into the stocking and maintaining of lakes and regs and our fishery would be just fine.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
You must have never enjoyed a shore lunch of fresh fish like walleye and perch with your family. We as anglers have given the government more than enough money to stock every lake in Alberta on a yearly basis with fish other than trout, for retention. I feel sorry for people that get sucked into this, " stock a lake with millions of walleye" then close it to retention idea !! There is more to this than getting out and having fun with our families. Put the $ from our lisence fees directly back into the stocking and maintaining of lakes and regs and our fishery would be just fine.
Bang on!
Old 04-03-2017, 05:30 PM

Exactly no need to feed the gov't for tags, I think we all give them enough cash. Shore lunch for me with my one burner stove and rubbing two sticks to fire it up or I will use my mirror to ignite it which ever one works the fastest that day.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Banned

Trial balloon to see how well it goes over .
I will say in the future all lakes will be this way just a money grab,I hope nobody buys these tags .
We need to send message to these pecker heads.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Exactly no need to feed the gov't for tags, I think we all give them enough cash. Shore lunch for me with my one burner stove and rubbing two sticks to fire it up or I will use my mirror to ignite it which ever one works the fastest that day.
I think the tags are a great system. We as Albertans have already shown we are greedy when it comes to keeping fish and destroyed the resource once so until the mentality of people needing to keep every fish as soon as its legal to do so stops, the tags are the best way of managing our walleye fisheries.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:06 PM

I cant wait, I can fit 8 in my boat...my self, both of my kids and all their friends, all under 16 of course...the livewell will be over flowing
Old 04-04-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
I think the tags are a great system. We as Albertans have already shown we are greedy when it comes to keeping fish and destroyed the resource once so until the mentality of people needing to keep every fish as soon as its legal to do so stops, the tags are the best way of managing our walleye fisheries.
I don't know that we destroyed it as much as people just took what they were allowed by law.

One of the things that is often failed to be taken into consideration is that the population of the province has more than doubled since many of us started fishing decades ago.

I am not saying that we've had good management, but it is not as simple as many want to make it out to be.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:46 PM

Walleye have ruined too many lakes. Pine Lake used to be an amazing Perch fishery, now it's just Walleye. Glad to see them opening them in some places, it's about time.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Meh, I wouldn't pay 11 bucks just to keep one fish either. It has nothing to do with a business transaction, I'd just rather let the fish go for free, or go to a different lake and keep a fish there.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Meh, I wouldn't pay 11 bucks just to keep one fish either. It has nothing to do with a business transaction, I'd just rather let the fish go for free, or go to a different lake and keep a fish there.
X2
Old 04-04-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
I disagree, I think that in many parts of the province there are enough walleye lakes that have recovered to the point of overpoplulation. If, instead of opening just a few lakes to tags, they opened all of these lakes to a one fish limit, I think the lakes would probably be Ok with the pressure spread out. At the very least I doubt that the fisheries would be damaged too badly in just a couple seasons, and I think that even if the limit had to be dropped again after a few years that the quality of the fishing in these lakes could be improved.

To offset the tendency for lakes close to large cities to get overfished, I would open lakes further away to a higher catch limit. Once again, with careful monitoring to ensure over fishing is detected before a collapse. Spread out over all of our healthy walleye fisheries, I think this could be sustained.

For the life of me I cant understand why the province seems hell bent on creating these high numbers fisheries on lakes and species that they want to remain C&R. IMO C&R would be better used to create trophy fisheries, rather than lakes full of scrawny walleye.

It may or may not work long term, but I think it would be worth a try. Re-creating the Pidgeon Lake experiment all over the province is a mistake IMO.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
If, instead of opening just a few lakes to tags, they opened all of these lakes to a one fish limit, I think the lakes would probably be Ok with the pressure spread out.
I am in favour of tags, and prefer them to a "open one fish limit" for two reasons related to your point ....

A one fish limit is a poor way of controlling the total harvest which makes it more difficult to manage the watershed. A well defined total harvest, in the form of a defined number of tags, allows as close to complete control of total harvest as possible.

and

A one fish limit is also not great if I want to have a meal of walleye for my family (as I'm the only one who regularly fishes). I can't take home one walleye, fillet it and expect to have everyone share a meal. A 2 or 3 tag system allows me to do that.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I am in favour of tags, and prefer them to a "open one fish limit" for two reasons related to your point ....

A one fish limit is a poor way of controlling the total harvest which makes it more difficult to manage the watershed. A well defined total harvest, in the form of a defined number of tags, allows as close to complete control of total harvest as possible.

and

A one fish limit is also not great if I want to have a meal of walleye for my family (as I'm the only one who regularly fishes). I can't take home one walleye, fillet it and expect to have everyone share a meal. A 2 or 3 tag system allows me to do that.
To me, given the state of many of these lakes as far as I can see, the tags would have been a good idea 5-10 years ago, depending on the lake. And they may again be a good option once some lakes are culled a bit. But IMO I think a one fish limit would take more than a few seasons to get many lakes back to some semblance of a healthy balance.

Like I said, the tag policy has been used on other lakes for awhile now and I'm not a huge fan of the results so far. If we want different results we need to try a different strategy.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Holy crap! Someone urinate in your coffee? Nube was obviously making a tongue in cheek statement. That is typically what LOL means.

If you click on some of the links to his threads you will see that he spends tens of thousands of dollars going all over the world so he can challenge himself and enjoy the great outdoors.

No need for you to feel sorry for him.
And all this time I thought it meant, " Low On Liquor " Thanks for schooling me.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.