Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Default HB Zero Lines Card?

Anyone know a store that has the Humminbird Zero Lines SD Card in stock? Looking for one for my Helix 9. Thanks.

SS
Old 04-27-2016, 09:49 AM

The Fishin' Hole had them in stock last time I looked.

Mud
Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 AM

I ordered mine a couple of years ago from radioworld.CA when I couldn't find anyone with a card in stock.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Anyone know a store that has the Humminbird Zero Lines SD Card in stock? Looking for one for my Helix 9. Thanks.

SS
Have you tried your helix 9 yet? Guessing it didn't show any of the lakes on the GPS?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjim View Post
Have you tried your helix 9 yet? Guessing it didn't show any of the lakes on the GPS?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
I have a Navionics chip, so it shows all the lakes I go to. I haven't pulled it to see if there is anything on the base map it comes with yet.

SS
Old 04-27-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
The Fishin' Hole had them in stock last time I looked.

Mud
Thanks. Cabelas is out of stock, BPS said they don't carry them , and Wholesale website doesn't show them.

My b-day is coming up and I'm pretty sure that my wife was going to grab me one of these today. Trying to save her some frustration as she doesn't enjoy fruitless trips to outdoors stores all around the city.

SS
Old 04-27-2016, 12:35 PM

You're welcome.
The Birds have basically almost no Canadian lakes on the units out of the box. Navionics only has the Lakes that they have added, (no Crawling Valley, Newell, etc)

The Zero Lines Card has a satellite outline for just about every body of water in North America. You will still have to fill in the details by recording your sonar, although I'm pretty sure you can share data with friends who have recorded their own sonar.

I understand that LakeMaster is coming out with a Canadian chip at some point in the future but no firm date was given.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:57 PM

Default HB Zero Lines Card?

My Navionics card has lake outlines and depths from the old government maps but the depths aren't very accurate. The Autochart Live system was one of the biggest reasons I went with HB. Had a Lowrance HDS7 on my last boat. Didn't mind it, but the SI, Autochart, DI, and iPilot Link made HB my choice.

Oh, and Fishin Hole is out of stock too but has some on order. Wholesale tried to sell my wife the whole computer program for $300 and didn't even acknowledge that you could buy the card separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-27-2016, 07:44 PM

I spent 2 summers ago discussing lake maps etc with the Humminbird rep and was cursing the unit until software update 2.3 which let you save autochart live to the zeroline card. His comment on Crawling Valley etc. was they used the government maps (50 yo) rather than paying for google maps etc. Navionics now has an outline for CV and some others and I can't wait to try software update 2.7.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:04 PM

Did you check Barry Jay's?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:17 PM

Does the zerolines have a decent amount of Alberta lakes?
Any west coast ocean info?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Comparing zero lines to Navionics is like apples to oranges.

All the zero lines card is, simply put, is a storage memory card that allows you to, when using a Humminbird with Autochart Live, to write your own maps to the card which has a simple shoreline outline with zero bathymetric (depth contour lines) data on it. It uses the bathymetric data you capture from your sonar when recording and overwrites it onto the zero lines outline. Like a blank canvas with a picture frame around it. Once again, There are NO CONTOURS RESIDING ON AUTOCHART ZEROLINES UNTIL YOU PUT THEM THERE. It's an empty shell with a lake outline for you to fill in with YOUR data. It's more like google maps. Every single lake, river, pothole in North America is on there for you - Just like Google maps. Once you capture the data on the card the depth contours are precise and accurate.

Navionics is a bathymetric map of a lake (with depth contours) already there. It is neither precise, nor is it very accurate, it's a general the bathemetry of that lake. It also does not have very many lakes on it out here in Alberta. the shore line data, where it does exist can be 30-50 yard off. It is dangerous to use this tool for navigation and should serve as a general idea of what the lake bottom sort of might look like.

Here's my advice .....

If you have 2 card slots (like most good units do) use both. Use the Navionics, where available, to give you a general idea of where to look for structure. Use (and record) your own data as you explore that area and now you have an accurate map.

Easy Peasy.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Does the zerolines have a decent amount of Alberta lakes?
Any west coast ocean info?
All lakes, rivers, potholes and oceans are on there. 100% of them. Zerolines, see my post below, does not, however show any bathymetric data whatsoever.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
I spent 2 summers ago discussing lake maps etc with the Humminbird rep and was cursing the unit until software update 2.3 which let you save autochart live to the zeroline card. His comment on Crawling Valley etc. was they used the government maps (50 yo) rather than paying for google maps etc. Navionics now has an outline for CV and some others and I can't wait to try software update 2.7.
Humminbird rep should have been fired.

The very first Autochart Unit, and the very first ZeroLines card were invented precisely to do that. Nothing else. If he was unaware of that, which would have been Humminbirds Flagship product about 5-6 years ago when it came out, he is a complete moron which still didn't learn that after another 3-4 years of the product being on the market (as your conversation was 2 years ago).

I am curious what this individual thought the Autochart did or what the Zerolines card was for ..... unblvbl.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:31 PM

You are bringing back bad memories which were all eliminated with the software upgrades. I spent the entire summer trying to get autochart to work but it turned out that I had hardware problems with my Onix which kept getting worse as the summer went on. I had several conversations with the guy who wrote autochart as well as lower level flunkies. At no point did I expect bathymetry out of the card but I spent all summer trying to find ways to input the shoreline for crawling valley - and the Navionics card carried the old Barkenhouse lake. I couldn't use track data from my unit as it was malfunctioning and then it wouldn't record sonar. Three things happened over the winter - they fixed my Onix under warranty and upgraded the software to save autochart live data on the zerolines card, and Navionics added the shoreline for Crawling Valley. I went from wanting to burn the unit to loving it and showing off how the boat drives itself with I-pilot link. I'm sorry if you were confused with my (much) earlier reply to this thread.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 PM

Zero lines card:

https://www.radioworld.ca/hum-lakemaster-blank

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Cabelas is out of stock, BPS said they don't carry them , and Wholesale website doesn't show them.

My b-day is coming up and I'm pretty sure that my wife was going to grab me one of these today. Trying to save her some frustration as she doesn't enjoy fruitless trips to outdoors stores all around the city.

SS
Cabelas.ca shows in stock on line. Free shipping

Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 PM

Original post was from a year ago. I got one from Barry Jays last spring.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Original post was from a year ago. I got one from Barry Jays last spring.

Ooops.Lol.. Usually watch for that.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 PM

Old 02-17-2017, 10:37 PM

I thought this was deja vous haha
Old 04-05-2017, 01:41 PM

Default Update?!

So I've got my ipilot link I've got my Helix 9 si/gps - it seems after reading this thread and a couple others--- is it safe to say -get the zero lines card as none of the others truly do Alberta justice for lakes yet-
Old 04-05-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
So I've got my ipilot link I've got my Helix 9 si/gps - it seems after reading this thread and a couple others--- is it safe to say -get the zero lines card as none of the others truly do Alberta justice for lakes yet-
I'd say that is an accurate statement. I have the navionics app on my phone and it works great for some lakes but in general its best to make your own maps.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post

I have a Navionics HotMaps Premium Canada chip, and while it shows the lakes and some rudimentary depths, they are in essence an upload of the old government bathymetric maps from the 70s. They aren't accurate or detailed at all.

Using your Autochart Live will build you accurate maps in real time without uploading, processing, and downloading. Your unit will have about 8 hours of internal memory if you want to try it out. A zero lines card has all the lake outlines and a ton of memory for recording your Autochart info.

The Navionics and Lakemaster maps look awesome for the States but so far they don't have any decent detail for Canada.

SS

Old 04-05-2017, 05:03 PM

Exactly, and if you want to see the difference look at Kookanusa or any other lake in both countries. I bet you can find the border very quickly.