Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-28-2015, 01:41 PM

Default A question about range finders

I've been thinking about getting a range finder but I was wondering which one to get. I mostly hunt deer and I rarely have shot them over 150 yards but eventually I know once I retire and have more than my weekends to hunt I'd like to get away to shoot elk which would likely entail longer shots.

If I am going to get one should I get one that ranges out to a 1000 yds. or would a range finder out to 600 be just fine?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Rangefinders are rated on highly reflected objects, so when used on animals they usually only range from 1/2 to 3/4 of the rating.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Rangefinders are rated on highly reflected objects, so when used on animals they usually only range from 1/2 to 3/4 of the rating.
So would you recommend getting one rated out to a 1000 yds. knowing it might be only good out to half that? What if you range something beside the animal? Is that a better, more accurate way of using them?
Old 07-28-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure as shootin' View Post
So would you recommend getting one rated out to a 1000 yds. knowing it might be only good out to half that? What if you range something beside the animal? Is that a better, more accurate way of using them?

The best way to use a rangefinder is to actually range the intended target. Besides, if you are hunting on open fields, there may no be anything nearby the animal to range.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Depends on how far you are shooting. What looks to be beside may be 50 yards behind or in front depending on a lot of factors. 600 yards is a long ways and terrain can play little tricks on you at times.

It is best to hit what you are trying to shoot. Then dial the scope to shoot. Spend a few extra bucks and get one that you will use and keep for a very long time.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Depends on how far you are shooting. What looks to be beside may be 50 yards behind or in front depending on a lot of factors. 600 yards is a long ways and terrain can play little tricks on you at times.

It is best to hit what you are trying to shoot. Then dial the scope to shoot. Spend a few extra bucks and get one that you will use and keep for a very long time.
I've been researching a few,,,,,,so far the Nikon Riflehunter 1000, the Vortex Ranger 1000, and the Bushnell (can't remember the model). Do they pop up in the classifieds very often? I might even see if I can swing a trade for a new scope I have sitting in the wings.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 PM

I have a Leupold RX-800i TBR, I love that thing. If I had saved up another hundred bucks I would have sprung for the RX-1000 because it has a red display but I don't find that the one I have is hard to see (now there's a 1200 out so I guess it doesn't matter). It ranges quickly, and is simple enough for a dummy like me to use. You can use it for bowhunting too if you feel so inclined. They aren't available at Cabela's anymore it doesn't look like, you could probably get a deal at a smaller hunting store looking to clear up some space
Old 07-28-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I've been researching a few,,,,,,so far the Nikon Riflehunter 1000, the Vortex Ranger 1000, and the Bushnell (can't remember the model). Do they pop up in the classifieds very often? I might even see if I can swing a trade for a new scope I have sitting in the wings.
I went with a Leica LRF 900 scan more than 10 years ago. It has a red display, which I really like, that doesn't blend into the background in lower light conditions. I can reliably range animals out to the 600 yard mark. I have ranged more reflective objects like buildings or road signs at the 825 to 850 mark.