Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

Default Maximizing retiurn on coyote pelts

Hello all..

When shooting coyotes, what is the best way to shoot and handle the hides to maximize prices at the fur auctions? Any help will be appreciated...

Capthook
Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Default coyotes

If you're not going to skin them immediately - hang them by hind legs, out of the direct sun. If they are laying flat they'll freeze to the ground also bloating may occur when they dont cool properly.
If you're processing them yourself - use a correct stretcher size and be thorough when fleshing.
Its best to wash furs - ideally in a washing machine - make sure all the water is out of them. I always do this immediately after skinning.
Good luck this year
Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM

If you (or anyone else) are in the Calgary area give me a pm and I can show you one or two. You buy the beer.

if your too far away you can start with http://www.furharvesters.com/PDF/pelthandling.pdf
Old 10-31-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyJack View Post
If you (or anyone else) are in the Calgary area give me a pm and I can show you one or two. You buy the beer.

if your too far away you can start with http://www.furharvesters.com/PDF/pelthandling.pdf
I may just take you up on that in a couple/three weeks.
Will sned a PM if it happens

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:58 AM

First and foremost. DO NOT BLOW THE LIVING FRICK OUT OF YOUR COYOTES WITH LARGE CALIBRE BIG GAME RIFLES!!!

Failure to do so will render most pelts in the $10 range.

Shoot coyotes with a 204 rifle and you are a big winner.

Do not shoot coyotes with maximum expansion ammo except with 204's and 17's. They do work sometimes, bullets sometimes stay in, but they often do a very bad job. When the bullets come out they blow out.

Also to maximize fur dollars, don't shoot coyotes this year. The market is badly depressed at this time.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
Also to maximize fur dollars, don't shoot coyotes this year. The market is badly depressed at this time.
That would be the same as telling rancher's not to sell their beef when price's are low. This would create an even bigger problem with coyote's than we have now.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
That would be the same as telling rancher's not to sell their beef when price's are low. This would create an even bigger problem with coyote's than we have now.
X2

If I see one I am shooting at it!!

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post

????? There is very little stock right now at Fur Harvesters. Didn't have a September sale. Now the World's economy is tanking and that may have an effect, but with little inventory, prices may be higher this year, if there is a decent demand.