Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Clearwater River - Moose Creek

Folks. This is a query for anyone who lives, and or fishes / hunts, near where the Forestry Trunk Road (FTR) / Rig Street crosses over the Clearwater river. The nearest towns would be Ricinus and Boundary (Boundary Store and the sub-division) I hunted in the area last season and saw some good places I wanted to try fishing at.

I'd like to try the Clearwater River slightly West of where it crosses the Forestry Trunk. I'd also like to fish south of the Clearwater in perhaps Moose Creek. I have a couple of questions and need some clarification.

Clearwater River

Looking at the regs, it appears that from 01 Apr - 31 Oct, I can fish the main river from where it crosses the FTR "upstream" to the N. Saskachewan, for Trout (limit 2), Whitefish (5) over 30cm, Walleye (3) over 50cm, Pike (3), and Burbot (10). BAIT BAN till Aug 16th, and after that you can use only maggots.

Moose Creek

While it empties into the Clearwater, it isn't listed under steams or tributaries for Eastern Slopes 2 (ES2). As such, I went to list "B" which states you can fish Apr 1-Aug 31, Trout (2); Cut-throat over 35cm, Whitefish (5) over 30cm, Walleye (3) over 50 cm, Pike (3), Perch (15), and Burbot (10) BAIT BAN. From Sept 1 - Oct 31 you cant catch trout and the limits for the rest are the same.

Questions:

What is the Clearwater like to fish in ? I haven't caught whitefish for nearly 30 years, are there any in there ? How is trout fishing ? Anyone Hunt Moose Creek ? What can you actually catch in there ?

Im planning a little fishing trip up along the FTR from the Bearberry area and wanted to hit the James River, Te-Pee Pole Creek, and the Clearwater enroute. I scouted down around "Old Baldy," mountain last year, and some of the spots around the bottom of the hill - along the James - looked promising.

thanks for looking